Don't expect precision from DP (long)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
italodisco
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Don't expect precision from DP (long)

Post by italodisco »

Mike, of course - I see your post count and you have infinitely more time spent on here than I.

I was just saying that I knew MOTU was looking at the threads, and stand by the notion that it would be great if we didn't have to parrot what we was happening in our individual TechNotes. Of course I will post what I find out.

Some interesting news, although it's also slightly maddening since I know it'll return when I'm not TRYING to make a video of it - the multiple quantize bug has so far eluded me in 9.1.7 running in 32-bit mode. It's happened so many damn times to me that it's driving me crazy not being able to replicate it. Hope to catch that sucker at some point, then undo out and try to screen-capture it. But I'm also happy it's not always happening (I want to say "that it's fixed" but not optimistic just yet).

BTW: why is it that you can quantize, but zoomed all the way in it's not always on the absolute correct division? Is it sample rate vs. project tempo, meaning some beat divisions are "between" samples and therefore won't land on (for example) 51.1.000 at the sample level? This is really just trying to understand it, not saying I can hear 1 sample! The bug would kind of look like this issue, but then you could re-quantize and it would snap to the division. So weird.
Robert Randolph
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Robert Randolph »

FWIW, I've seen the quantize bug happen, but I have no clue how to make it happen. I've even had it happen during a video recording, then I went back and tried to replicate it step-by-step and was unsuccessful.

It's a very strange one.

However, MOTU should know about its existence and the difficulty reproducing it as I've mentioned it in 2 separate techlinks.

Personally, I rather never have to use quantize. A properly absolute grid would be the ideal workflow, but you know... :deadhorse:
italodisco

Post by italodisco »

Did you keep the video, or send to MOTU? That would save me the time I'm spending beta testing instead of working on the mix I'm supposed to be doing. I'll keep trying. Thanks for the vote of confidence, the last thing I want is MOTU saying "If it isn't on video, it isn't there." It's maddening.

One thing: I'm making fresh projects and trying to make it happen. I wonder if it starts happening when you actually have a properly "mature" project with lots of soundbites and such. This is total conjecture and probably bullsh••, but just posting my method for trying to recreate it. Maybe I should open some old projects.
Robert Randolph

Nope, I don't have the video anymore. :oops: When I couldn't reproduce it, I figured it was just some weird oddity. It was the first time I'd really paid attention to it.

However I've seen it since, and often enough to realize that it is probably some sort of bug that requires fairly specific circumstances. I quantize very frequently (due to the type of music I frequently work with), and it is either rather rare or I'm not noticing it happen.

And to be clear, I've only see this happen with soundbites. Likely because I don't work with MIDI much at all.
italodisco

Post by italodisco »

Yes, soundbites only. MIDI is very easy to check at a glance by opening the event list window. I've never seen it with MIDI.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

For me, the quantize bug wouldn't have shown in the event list. It was on the right tick, it was off by only a sample or two. Had to zoom WAY in to see it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

italodisco wrote:I was just saying that I knew MOTU was looking at the threads, and stand by the notion that it would be great if we didn't have to parrot what we was happening in our individual TechNotes. Of course I will post what I find out.
I know that MOTU employees do peruse this board, but they don't always chime in and you can't always assume they see EVERYTHING, hence it's good to report things directly to MOTU as well. Usually it's most apparent that MOTU people look at this board when new versions are released and you often see many features implemented that were discussed here.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I just had an interesting variation of this bug (I think). I have two vocal tracks grouped (one lead and one harmony) where I wanted to copy a short phrase from the second chorus and move it to the first chorus rather than do a punch in. I set the nudge amount to measures and moved the phrase the appropriate number of measures with the arrow key. The copied sections appear to line up perfectly as do the waveforms, but the playback does not. The harmony vocal leads the melody by about a sixteenth note. If I drag it manually, it syncs up fine, but nudge screws it up every time. The really weird part is that the waveforms line up but do not play back in sync. :?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
italodisco

Post by italodisco »

That is slightly different than what I experienced. If you trash prefs and analysis files does it help?
Robert Randolph

Phil O wrote:I just had an interesting variation of this bug (I think). I have two vocal tracks grouped (one lead and one harmony) where I wanted to copy a short phrase from the second chorus and move it to the first chorus rather than do a punch in. I set the nudge amount to measures and moved the phrase the appropriate number of measures with the arrow key. The copied sections appear to line up perfectly as do the waveforms, but the playback does not. The harmony vocal leads the melody by about a sixteenth note. If I drag it manually, it syncs up fine, but nudge screws it up every time. The really weird part is that the waveforms line up but do not play back in sync. :?

Phil
There is actually a number of bugs related to nudge and functions internally dependent on the nudge code. I've found and reported a few.

Can you reproduce this in a fresh project somehow?
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Robert Randolph wrote:Can you reproduce this in a fresh project somehow?
I don't know. These songs are pretty complex in terns of number of tracks and scattered soundbites/takes/punch-ins, etc. Who knows what caused it. I was able to find a work around and move on. Perhaps when the smoke has cleared I'll re-visit the problem. Dunno.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.