Metric Halo Channelstrip Bypass and DP 9.12 / 9.02 issue

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
csavetman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Metric Halo Channelstrip Bypass and DP 9.12 / 9.02 issue

Post by csavetman »

Just thought I'd pass this along to anyone using latest version of Channelstrip (V3) and DP 9.12 and / or DP 9.02

Recently I've been doing a bit of switching back and forth on some projects, working at times in DP 9.02 and sometimes, opening same project in DP 9.12, just checking out any performance differences, etc, not thinking much of it.

I started noticing lately however in DP 9.12, that upon opening some existing instances of Channelstrip on various tracks, that they would be set to their soft bypass position (the bypass within the plugin interface itself), even though I was certain, I had not left it that way.

I took a little time today, to see what was going on.

So in DP9.02, Channelstrip's soft bypass plugin toggles on and off with playback. When playback is started, the bypass disengages, processing the audio. When playback is stopped, bypass automatically turns itself on. ( it makes no difference if plugin is set to run in real time or not)

In DP 9.12, playback has no effect on the soft bypass state. It will stay where ever you happen to set it, until you hit bypass again.

So what's the problem, you ask?

Well, if you happen to be working in DP9.02 and save your project (with the transport off, usually), Channelstrip's softbypass will be on. Not a problem if you open the project back up in 9.02, since the plugin's own bypass state doesn't get saved with the project in that version. It simply toggles on and off with playback.

BUT if you then open the same project up in DP 9.12, all your instances of Channelstrip will be set to bypass, since that was the last physical state of the plugin's bypass in DP 9.02 when it was saved.*

*(if using only one instance of Channelstrip in the project, doesn't seem to be an issue. Any instance of Channelstrip beyond the 1st one however, seems to be affected.)

So if you're working on projects with Channelstrip and have recently swithched over from 9.02, to 9.12, you'll want to make sure bypass is not on.
Especially before sending mixes out!!

P.S
I haven't checked to see if other Metric Halo plugins in their Production Bundle 2 behave similarly, since I mostly use Channelstrip, but they all have the soft bypass in the plugin interface, so it might be worth checking out.

Carlos

DP 9.12
Mac Dual Quad Core 2.8GHZ
24 GB RAM
OS 10.10.5