DP9 Transport Control issues - AKAI MPK261

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Tyas
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP9 Transport Control issues - AKAI MPK261

Post by Tyas »

Hello everyone,

I just installed my trial version of DP9, after it was strongly recommended to me by one of my teachers (after telling me it would suit my needs better than Ableton Live 9).

I'm digging it so far, but I seem to have a problem with controlling the transport controls (play/stop/record) from my AKAI MPK261 USB MIDI keyboard. And by "problem", I mean I'm wholly unable to do this. The strange thing is, the keyboard does register with DP9 - I can play instruments with it and it gives me back sounds, I can record with it, it works. Just not the transport controls.

I've looked around some for possible causes, but none so far have worked. Just to make things clear, this is what I've already done:

- The "Master Master" box in the Commands menu is ticked, as is the "Transport Master" box
- In the "Transport" section of this same menu, I have selected the MIDI Events for the play/stop/record buttons and pressed the corresponding buttons on my keyboard accordingly, to map them. This did register, and the MIDI Events boxes now show the proper button data (#118/#117/#119, respectively).
- My MIDI keyboard is properly routed and connected (since it does allow me to play and record)
- My MIDI keyboard does send out MIDI CC data

The physical buttons themselves are also not defective - they work perfectly in Ableton.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, since this does seems like a very promising DAW - but I am not down with taking my hands off the keyboard every time I want to hit play/stop/record. I'm sure I'm missing some button or setting somewhere.

-Tyas
Guitar Gaz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP9 Transport Control issues - AKAI MPK261

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Been there done that - it works with Reason but not DP - so it is abandoned gathering dust for now. Try all you might it won't work unless you have Reason or Ableton running in Rewire with DP. Of course it works as a keyboard but not as a Master controller in DP. If anyone solved this it would be great - doubtful though.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

I gave up on the transport controls working, but have used the "DAW Control buttons" instead, as they can be set in the Edit menu of the MPK2xx to send PC Keyboard keypresses. Those work just fine with the Controller's settings. Too bad the keypad's "Enter" key is not in the MPK2xx's list, though, so I set the right-button to "Return" and changed the controller settings. Then changed the center button to "Num0" for stop, and etc. as matched some of the keyboard shortcuts I do use. The MPK2xx allows for a second "modifier" key to be used from the button press as well. Each preset of the keyboard can have its own setup.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Here is some more information on the Key assignments of the DAW control buttons:
Tip: The HID (Human Interface Device) protocol lets devices send typical computer keyboard keystrokes. USB game controllers are an example of this, acting as an alternative to your computer's keyboard. MPK249 also uses the HID protocol, letting you configure certain buttons to send your most-often used keystrokes to your software, so you no longer need to switch focus constantly between the computer's keyboard and your MPK2XX.
Key 1: If Keystroke is the selected Type, this determines what keystroke the Assignable Switch sends. The available keystrokes are 0–9, A–Z, F1–F12, Backspace, Return, Up Arrow, Down Arrow, Left Arrow, Right Arrow, Tab, various symbols ( , . / [ ] \ ' ; ), Esc, Insert, Home, Page Up, Delete, End, Page Down, and Num 0–9.
Key 2: If Keystroke is the selected Type, this determines what modifier keystroke (e.g., Shift, Command, etc.), if any, the Assignable Switch sends with the Key 1 keystroke. The available modifier keystrokes are None, Control, Shift, Alt, Option, Control-Shift, Control-Alt, Control-Option, Shift-Alt, Shift-Option, Alt-Option, Control-Option-Alt, Control-Shift-Alt, and Control-Shift-Option.
Manual downloads:
MPK249
MPK261
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools