MIDI editing fails completely on MacOS Sierra

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dhearn2@mchsi.com
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI editing fails completely on MacOS Sierra

Post by dhearn2@mchsi.com »

MacOS 10.12, MacPro Trash Can 8 core 3.0, 1248, Micro Lite, DP 9.12

When I record MIDI on any track, any file new or old, I cannot edit MIDI without bizarre behavior. Here are the issues:

1. Controller 64 records but doesn't affect notes while recording. It works fine when transport is idle. DP9.12 was supposed to fix this.
2. Any attempt to select and move MIDI notes in any editing window causes about half the notes to completely disappear. Undoing gets them back. Multiple edits end with no notes left in the track at all.
3. Quantize does nothing at all
4. Shift using arrow keys causes notes to disappear
5. Draggin one note works fine. Dragging multiple notes causes about half of them to disappear.
6. Command-dragging to create duplicate notes erases about half the original notes, but copies and places the new notes correctly.

I replaced the OS. I nuked all the DP prefs. I downgraded to DP 9.02. I reinstalled the drivers for audio and MIDI. Nothing works.

Any ideas?????

Dave
Dave Hearn

Mac Studio, 64g RAM, DP 11.22, 1248 three dozen soft synths, etc.
tommymandel

Re: MIDI editing fails completely on MacOS Sierra

Post by tommymandel »

Holy smokes, Dave. You've tried everything. I bet you didn't get a lot of sleep last night!
Will be watching. Unfortunately, I am holding at Mavericks so I can't help, only hope 4u. :shock:
Good luck.

PS. did you repair permissions, or does Sierra do that automatically, and not allow users to do that themselves anymore?
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
taka

Post by taka »

Hi Dave--
I'm on 9.02/Sierra. Your issues 2-6 don't seem to happen here, both on Sequence Window and MIDI WIndow... So maybe the problem comes from the combination of 9.12/Sierra/some particular VI etc?

Taka
DP11.3, OS 13.6.3, Mac Mini 2018 6 core 3.2GHz i7 32GB RAM
Slate, Waves, Soundtoys, GRM Tools, Audio Ease etc etc..
dhearn2@mchsi.com

Post by dhearn2@mchsi.com »

Here's an update. Thanks to all that have responded so far.

After working with Brendon at MOTU Tech Support, we narrowed down the problem to corruption of my user account on my Mac. Creating a new User Account solved the problem, but at the cost of losing years of prefs and command bindings (actually I could have imported the old ones), not to mention all the other files that are user specific.

Working under a new user created some other problems with plugin auths and a couple that wouldn't load at all.

So, since I was prepared, I used a backup of my boot drive from about a week ago which returned my OS to 10.11.6 El Capitan and DP to 9.02. DP now works fine and files are intact since I record to files on an external drive.

I haven't decided whether to try the macOS 10:12 update again, nor have I decided whether to update DP to 9.12. It is my belief that a power surge may have hit my computer during a storm while I was away from the studio, and that corrupted my primary User Account.

It's clear that the root cause of this problem was Mac related, and not DP related.

I will post again after I talk to MOTU Tech support if there is any further information gleaned from my discussions with them.

Dave
Dave Hearn

Mac Studio, 64g RAM, DP 11.22, 1248 three dozen soft synths, etc.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You can pull your prefs from Time Machine, too.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I think this is the first issue I have heard of about Serra. When I read the first page I was tempted to post, "Did you ask Seri"? just for a laugh.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
remmet

Post by remmet »

Oh man, I've been having the same issues lately, and several others to boot. MIDI editing - like pasting and shifting - causes notes to disappear. Also, certain actions, like loading a patch into Kontakt, often coincide with MIDI signals from my keyboard simply dying (i.e., no sound is produced). Sometimes playing a sequence produces no output to my 1224 interface. And occasionally the transport controls stop responding entirely.

My OS is Mavericks.

A corrupt user account is the last thing I would have suspected, but I guess I'll try creating a new one and see if that helps. Not looking forward to the side effects.

Thanks for bringing this to light. I thought I might be the only one!

Richard
Mac mini 2018 3.2GHz i7; OS X 10.144.6; 64 GB RAM; DP 10.1; Apollo X6; Kontakt 6; Omnisphere II; Adagio Everything, Spitfire almost Everything, Berlin Winds and Brass, Xosphere 2, and endless other sample libraries, acoustic and electric guitars, and assorted other essentials that have helped make me the "almost break even guy" my accountant so admires.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I couldn't care less about an AI on my computer so I will just stay where I am. So sad to see Apple mess with commands we have learned and cause our software folks so much grief ... As it is the entire edit waveform procedure has been modified and now and you can't even highlight a section of waveform to paste a bite into it without moving the curser to the insert point or using command y to separate a byte and then selecting it. Many more moves than before and I blame Apple for this confusion.

:smash:
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
remmet

Post by remmet »

Well, I created another User account, but when booting up DP, the initial plugin scanning process froze. I let the process continue for 2 hours, but no plugins were loaded. And returning to my normal User account still left the most basic editing functions unusable.

Any suggestions at this point ? I'm at a loss.

Richard
Mac mini 2018 3.2GHz i7; OS X 10.144.6; 64 GB RAM; DP 10.1; Apollo X6; Kontakt 6; Omnisphere II; Adagio Everything, Spitfire almost Everything, Berlin Winds and Brass, Xosphere 2, and endless other sample libraries, acoustic and electric guitars, and assorted other essentials that have helped make me the "almost break even guy" my accountant so admires.