Are newer versions of izotope denoiser less CPU hungry?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
tonomud
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Are newer versions of izotope denoiser less CPU hungry?

Post by tonomud »

daniel.sneed wrote:Not in my studio right now, so the exact words may be somewhat different, but I hope you get the idea:
- in S.E. (Sequence Editor), select a small silent part of the soundbite (noise alone with no music)
- in DP audio menu chose apply plugin, chose RX
- in RX window chose learn
- in S.E., select the whole soundbite
- in RX window, click *preview*
- tweak to your heart content by listening to the processed sound (repeating ad nauseum)
- when you are pleased with effect, click *apply*
- a new soundbite is created and set in place in S.E., AFAICR, the original soundfile remains in project audio folder
- in case you are not fully satisfied with the processed file sitting in the project mix, you just click undo in DP and repeat the whole process, with a different tweaking.

I agree, that's not totally intuitive, but it's totally efficient, though.
This is the workflow I'm asking about. For your last step "in case you are not fully satisfied...", my question really centers around the issue of if there are changes needed to the RX settings somewhere down the line...say, 2 days from now after I've done a bunch of other work, made some further tweaks, etc. How do I undo the original RX settings so I can re-do it with new settings?
iMac 2017 4.2 i7, 32 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.12.6
DP 9.52
Motu 896mk3 hybrid, True Systems Precision 8, Apogee Rosetta 800
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Easy. Delete the plug from the window and start again or go through my steps 2–4 again. When you hit Learn, it resets.

The point is that you remove the noise before you do anything else to the track. When the track is quiet or the audio repaired, move on. You only revisit RX on a track if you didn't get it right.

It still looks like you don't understand what it does. Find the tutorial videos.

The standalone version can be used for mastering. I treat them as separate tools.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
tonomud

Post by tonomud »

sorry, but I do understand how plugins work. I understand how RX3 works and I am able to successfully identify and remove unwanted noise. Are you reading the previous replies about how "apply plugin..." works? I'm not asking how to add a plugin to a track insert. I know how to do that. You seem to be missing that I'm not talking about how to add and use a plugin on a track insert.

I'm honestly not trying to be ungrateful or difficult. But so far your replies seem to not be connecting with the crux of my question. Read "daniel.sneed"'s reply. Without skipping any steps, do what he instructs. Then perhaps you can point out the answer to my most recent question, which I obviously still don't feel like anyone has answered.

would it help if I recorded a screencast to walk through what I'm asking? Don't have time for that anymore tonight, but can do that tomorrow sometime.
iMac 2017 4.2 i7, 32 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.12.6
DP 9.52
Motu 896mk3 hybrid, True Systems Precision 8, Apogee Rosetta 800
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

tonomud wrote:sorry, but I do understand how plugins work. I understand how RX3 works and I am able to successfully identify and remove unwanted noise. Are you reading the previous replies about how "apply plugin..." works? I'm not asking how to add a plugin to a track insert. I know how to do that. You seem to be missing that I'm not talking about how to add and use a plugin on a track insert.
. thanks, but that's my question...how do I tweak RX once I've selected the track, clicked "apply plugin" and clicked "apply"? DP processes the audio with RX settings I specify. If I want to tweak RX settings at that point, where do I go to pull up the RX GUI?
I answered your questions. The Graphic User Interface is the window where you make changes.

If you need more control, check out the Advanced versions of RX. That may be what you really want. Each plugin has its own GUI. There's an upgrade path and it's on sale.

OTOH, RX 5 has a new interface that allows you to treat the tools individually in the panel. As I've already pointed out, it's $99 or less to upgrade.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

To answer your exact question, just make a simple test:
- apply RX plugin.
- check your project audio folder and make sure you have original and processed audio files.
- check your soundbite window to see original and processed soundbite.
- if needed, replace in S.E. (erase soundbite, drop original from Soundbite Window).
You may use max zoom to slide new soundbite at exact time.
There are easy tricks, with pause and transport button, to set a marker at an exact start location, too.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The way I normally use it does not create a processed sound bite until I bounce to disk. It behaves as a normal plugin that works in real time.

Dan, are you using RX 3?
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Mike, I use latest release (non-advance).
Not in my studio, I guess, it's RX5.

Never as an insert in mixer, always thru selecting in S.E. and apply plugin thru DP audio menu. Works fine.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

daniel.sneed wrote:Mike, I use latest release (non-advance).
Not in my studio, I guess, it's RX5.

Never as an insert in mixer, always thru selecting in S.E. and apply plugin thru DP audio menu. Works fine.
I figured. He's using RX 3 and, while that is possible, it's easier in 4 or 5.

I just use it as a straight plugin—90% of the time, that gives me the results I need.

If the track needs major repair (such as Deplosive), I take it through the stand-alone app instead.

RX is a powerful set of tools. Except for lower CPU, I didn't see much benefit in upgrading to 4. RX 5, OTOH, packs a lot of functionality into the Standard version. Unless you need Deplosive or the other advanced tools, I can't see paying the extra money for Advanced anymore. If Deplosive makes it into the standard version of RX 6, I will probably not upgrade my copy of 5A (I have another license of RX that I picked up in a bundle years ago).

Doing audio restoration, Advanced has paid for itself many, many times over. For me, it started with a friend's album recorded direct to 2-track cassette. My copy is probably 3rd generation. For fun, I decided to see just how good I can make it. Holy cow! Using mostly Denoise and Dehum in RX 2, I was able to clean it up nicely. I redid it in RX 3A when 2 no longer worked in Snow Lion. A little more processing with a de-esser and dynamic eq to remove a nasty finger squeak and I surprised my friends with a CD master. Word of mouth has brought me a number of other such projects since, many with challenges of their own.