Protools 10.3 to DP 8 , best procedure?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
alex2035
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Protools 10.3 to DP 8 , best procedure?

Post by alex2035 »

Hi,
I need help in this situation: whe are scheduled for a recording on a big studio with a Yamaha C7 grand. there are going to be 8 solo piano songs recorded on Protools. We are going to record some of them to a click track but others perhaps free from the grid.

Afterwards we will take the sessions in-house to continue edition on DP8. What would be the correct format to take back? It can be the Protools sessions as we have both programs in-house, the question is how to translate one into the other as it was recorded.OMF? Stems? something similar to soundbites with a timestamp?(clips?) I should clarify that there would be not entire recordings, with probably some punches between passages with a time separation (this is not a classical performance) to be joined together and crossfaded afterwards or even different takes been joined from different passages as well so we need everything as recorded...

I would greatly appreciate any guidance in this matter . Thanks.
Alex
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Protools 10.3 to DP 8 , best procedure?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I would export an AAF, and an OMF, and an XML, and broadcast wave files. You can't be too cautious!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
alex2035

Post by alex2035 »

Well , thanks MLC, I have been already doing it. Thing is, exporting clips on their own I can reimport them Timestamped OK but it is a bit tedious imagining 8 songs full of punches.

Better seems to be AAF or OMF , I tried both, the problem is they split stereo channel into 2 tracks mono , dont know why, but it is no very convenient for edition.
And what would the use of that xml be?
MIDI Life Crisis

Ok, forget XML- I just like to say it. Lol.

I would think there's an export option of n PT as to file formats. You could remix them (PITA) but double check the file format options for AAF and OMF. I've always found me AAF to be more reliable when sharing with PT guys.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
alex2035

Post by alex2035 »

Thanxs once again, export options are quite cryptic in PT, and none refers to interleaved or stereo audio, just media composer compatibility, and so on. I have found in DP preferences, the section on what to do on import....with various types of actions, one of which is, dont change audio interleaved unless it differs with proyect settings, leave alone, etc. but somehow when I come back there I always find the default configuration and nothing that I changed conserved (leave alone)...so, what gives? have to keep trying, thing is I am on schedule for next week.... :(
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Consolidate files in PT from bar 1, Export them out, drag into DP.

It is the ONLY foolproof way that works every time...
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
MIDI Life Crisis

kassonica wrote:Consolidate files in PT from bar 1, Export them out, drag into DP.

It is the ONLY foolproof way that works every time...
Great to know. Thanks!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
alex2035

Post by alex2035 »

Thanks for the answers. Until now I was rehearsing several of the methods, none worked perfect. And PT AAFs insists on exporting stereo files into 2 single monos complicating even worst. I cant find a way in DP to conslolidate 2 mono tracks into a stereo one, the reverse is possible, but I dont need it.

I didnt want to take the "consolidate" route , I have done that always in the past, thats because I wanted to retain all the nuances of the recording, punches, separation of clips etc, just in case. Oh well....
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

alex2035 wrote:I cant find a way in DP to conslolidate 2 mono tracks into a stereo one, the reverse is possible, but I dont need it.
It's doable and there are various threads on methods here (just do a quick search if you should ever need it). I don't use stereo tracks. No particular reason, it's just the way I work. It probably comes from my background recording to tape. If I record in stereo, I just record two mono tracks and pan them appropriately. YMMV.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
alex2035

Post by alex2035 »

OK Thanks, Ill dig in the Search realm...
alex2035

Post by alex2035 »

Not much in this regard, it confirmed I was not alone in this respect. Some solutions, quite obvious, like bouncing to disk 2 monos into a stereo track, come on...in 2016 it looks like a joke. Audiofinder...I have to use an external editor to accomplish this?..Ive been using DP for...20 years? cant remember now, version 3?

I dont blame DP only, PT seems to carry some problems itself in this respect. Quite frustrating. I give up, I will manage, thanks everybody anyway.

alex

www.swingmusica.com
rickorick

Post by rickorick »

It's better than a cassette.
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

alex2035 wrote:Not much in this regard, it confirmed I was not alone in this respect. Some solutions, quite obvious, like bouncing to disk 2 monos into a stereo track, come on...in 2016 it looks like a joke. Audiofinder...I have to use an external editor to accomplish this?..Ive been using DP for...20 years? cant remember now, version 3?

I dont blame DP only, PT seems to carry some problems itself in this respect. Quite frustrating. I give up, I will manage, thanks everybody anyway.

alex

http://www.swingmusica.com
It's as simple as renaming. Say you have two mono tracks (of same length), Goober.wav and Gomer.wav. Re-name them in the finder with a .L and .R suffix (i.e., Gabber.L.wav and Gabber.R.wav). Now drag one of these to the SB window. Done.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

What if you name them GomerGoober.L and .R? Will that change the sound?

I'm not in the studio but I'm sure DP can bounce or convert the files as desired. I think in the Waveform window somewhere. I also believe apps like AudioFinder can do this in a batch process.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Like Kass, I typically request files starting from 0 from outside clients. Foolproof.

If you must retain punches and takes, test "Move to Original Timestamp" to see if you can have DP place imported files at their proper spots in the timeline.
- Use BWAV format files.
- Note the PT project tempo and make sure the DP project matches it!

Phil provides a simple solution to make two mono files a single stereo file.

Housekeeping can be such a pain.