Ivory II Still Glitchy in DP 9.12 [RESOLVED]

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ivory II Still Glitchy in DP 9.12 [RESOLVED]

Post by dix »

Anyone else still getting glitches running Ivory II in Pre-Gen mode?

It looks like a short processor spike. When it happens it kills the pedal-down. The work around is the recommended leave it open and Run Open Instances in Real Time or Record Enable (and then assign MIDI input to non functional source), but either is a hassle.

...why oh why can we not have a default Run Instances In Real Time pref?
Last edited by dix on Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Ivory II Still Glitchy in DP 9.12

Post by waterstrum »

Hi Dix,

Ivory II is better for me in 9.12.
No longer needs to have the window open to work like it did in DP8.

No spikes or processor problems for me.

That being said, I'm having big issues with opening old projects in DP that have Ivory II.
Not sure what was changed, but now DP will crash on open if it doesn't like the Ivory that was saved on the session.
If it crashes, I just open the file in the older or newer version of DP and it works.
All is well
dix

Post by dix »

A MOTU TechLink promptly confirmed that this is still an issue in 9.12 and that it will be addressed in future updates. They also mentioned that some changes will need to be made on Synthology's end and to contact them with the issue.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
waterstrum

Post by waterstrum »

Thanks for the info.
Maybe that will fix the other problem too.
I use Ivory in many projects and need to have it "rock solid".
All is well
dix

Post by dix »

MOTU and Synthogy, both sent messages this morning suggesting I turn off “Offline Maximum Voices” in Ivory's prefs and that worked! Not sure why the pref is called that, but it looks like I'm good now.

Excelsior!
miditime

Re: Ivory II Still Glitchy in DP 9.12 [RESOLVED]

Post by miditime »

Yes, just spent the better part of the afternnon trying to record a glitchy ivory piano part using:
Ivory II ver. 2.5
and DP 9.51

All other plug-ins in DP work great, so I knew where the problem was.
(Fortunately for Ivory they have the best piano sample library out there, or I'd be tempted to migrate.)

Weird thing is Ivory still works like a charm in DP8 (had to record in 8 before I found this thread.) But from time to time stutters bad (especially today) in DP9.
I've looked on this site many times for help but finally found the solution in this thread.

Again, it is the Offline Processing Mode in Ivory prefs. It needs to be set to Faster - not Higher quality -

(at least on my older Mac.)
dix wrote:MOTU and Synthogy, both sent messages this morning suggesting I turn off “Offline Maximum Voices” in Ivory's prefs and that worked! Not sure why the pref is called that, but it looks like I'm good now.

Excelsior!
Thx Dix!
judyhyman

Ivory II Still Glitchy in DP 9.51

Post by judyhyman »

I'm still having problems with this.

Sustain Resonance: Off
Sympathetic Resonance: Off
Pedal noise: Off
Offline Processing Mode: Faster
Memory use: Medium
Voices: 12
RAM: 64 GB
Processor speed: 3.33
Cores: 12
DP: 9.51
Ivory: 2.5

Still having clicks and cutouts. I didn't used to have this problem (I've had Ivory since version 1) but it's plagued me for about a year now. Starting to think about other pianos ...

Ideas?

Tx for your thoughts.

Judy
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

Wow. I’m glad I looked. I haven’t noticed this problem before. Sorry for bringing up such and old thread. But I’ve been glitching all day and trying to troubleshoot it. I’ve just tried faster not higher quality. It’s better so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

Yeah. This is still terrible. I am on Ivory 2.51. Yosemite. Is that the problem? Offline processes is on Faster. And "Run Open Instances of This plug-in in Real Time". It showed an improvement. But it's still glitchy as hell. I've got 32gb ram. I don't think that's the problem.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

miditime wrote: (Fortunately for Ivory they have the best piano sample library out there, or I'd be tempted to migrate.)
Just wondering if you’ve had a chance to check out “Keyscape”?

I’ve heard great things about it.

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Henry Robinett wrote:Yeah. This is still terrible. I am on Ivory 2.51. Yosemite. Is that the problem? Offline processes is on Faster. And "Run Open Instances of This plug-in in Real Time". It showed an improvement. But it's still glitchy as hell. I've got 32gb ram. I don't think that's the problem.
Try increasing the RAM buffer for Ivory, I think it is in Preferences. With 32G of RAM, you can afford to put as much of each sample in RAM as Ivory will allow. It will increase load times, but makes the disc upon which the data is stored work less hard.

I like running all my VIs with large pre-load into RAM, as RAM is waaaay faster than even the fastest PCIe SSD. Projects take a little longer to load, but I can live with that.

PS: I am not having issues with Ivory on my system.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

buzzsmith wrote:
miditime wrote: (Fortunately for Ivory they have the best piano sample library out there, or I'd be tempted to migrate.)
Just wondering if you’ve had a chance to check out “Keyscape”?

I’ve heard great things about it.

Buzzy
I have not. I don’t know anything about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All the best,

Henry Robinett

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

HCMarkus wrote:
Henry Robinett wrote:Yeah. This is still terrible. I am on Ivory 2.51. Yosemite. Is that the problem? Offline processes is on Faster. And "Run Open Instances of This plug-in in Real Time". It showed an improvement. But it's still glitchy as hell. I've got 32gb ram. I don't think that's the problem.
Try increasing the RAM buffer for Ivory, I think it is in Preferences. With 32G of RAM, you can afford to put as much of each sample in RAM as Ivory will allow. It will increase load times, but makes the disc upon which the data is stored work less hard.

I like running all my VIs with large pre-load into RAM, as RAM is waaaay faster than even the fastest PCIe SSD. Projects take a little longer to load, but I can live with that.

PS: I am not having issues with Ivory on my system.
Interesting. I'll try this later today. I haven't increased ram buffers in many years. I had thought more recent OSes did it themselves, as needed. Wow. Color me stupid. I'll give it a whirl.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

waterstrum

Post by waterstrum »

FWIW, in my case, Ivory II seems to be working fine now in DP9.51 with 10.13.3.
I'm not needing to fuss with settings as in previous combinations.
High recommendations for Keyscape.
Beautiful sounds and excellent implementation.
Yamaha grand is included and sounds fine, but not on the level of Ivory II.
Best to have both.
All is well
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Henry Robinett wrote:...Interesting. I'll try this later today. I haven't increased ram buffers in many years. I had thought more recent OSes did it themselves, as needed. Wow. Color me stupid. I'll give it a whirl.
You are showing OS 10.10.5. Is this correct? If so...

DP 9.13 and newer are optimized for El Capitan and later. In the real world, you can run lower buffer sizes. I was pleasantly surprised by how much on my ancient 2010 iMac i7. If I said 75%, you’d probably not believe it so I won’t say. :brucelee:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro