MOTU Audio System Shutdown

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Shampen
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU Audio System Shutdown

Post by Shampen »

MidiCity Sound Equipment List
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Speed: 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
Mac OS: El Capitan Version10.11.8
Memory: 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB
Number of Processors:1
Total Number of Cores: 6
MOTU DP9.01
Logic Pro X
Reason 8.3.1
ONYX 1640i • 828MKII • MTP AV
Roland JV-1080 • Roland XV-3080 • Native Instruments Komplete

Hello, right in the middle of a recording session, the MOTU Audio system just stops working :banghead: , I've tried changing the Firewire cord from my computer to the ONYX 1640i, that didn't stop the problem, has anyone else ran into this problem? The 828MKII is connected to the ONYX via Firewire, and I changed that also, everything is fine for about 20 minutes, and the it just shuts down, I'm trying to come up with a fix. I have shut down the computer and then restart, and everything works, restarting does not work, only a complete shutdown and restart. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Travel Safe
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: MOTU Audio System Shutdown

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Have you tried shutting off the notification in AUDIO PREFERENCES when the audio gets "overloaded." Long standing bug int the app. If the warning is checked (on) the system will stop when the processing "peaks." Small peaks w/o clicks or pops are not going to hurt anything. The smallest peak detected and reported to the system will shut down the audio.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Re: MOTU Audio System Shutdown

Post by mikehalloran »

If your files are unaffected, the system gave audio playback a lower priority and processing a higher one. This is how it's supposed to work but, as has been pointed out, it can be over sensitive and shut down audio when everything is actually fine.

Increasing the playback buffer has always worked for me.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro