Can't save plugin presets

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
JZilla
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can't save plugin presets

Post by JZilla »

Hey folks, I've had this issue for a while and haven't been able to figure it out. I don't seem to be able to save FX presets in DP. I use the dropdown in the plugin window and select Save Preset... just like I used to and I get an error beep. I can save the channel insert FX, but not individual plugins. I can recall old settings without a problem, just can't save any new ones. Any ideas?

Thanks.
2019 MacPro, 10.15.5, 16 core 3.2 GHz, 384 GB RAM
DP 10.11
Kontakt 6.2.2, Spectrasonics, u-he, Arturia, NI Komplete 11, VE Pro
UAD, Waves, Soundtoys, Slate, FabFilter
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Can't save plugin presets

Post by terrybritton »

Could an error beep upon attempting to open a save-to folder indicate a permissions problem?

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Are you having the problem with MOTU plug-ins (the ones that come with DP) or 3rd party plug-ins (like Waves)?
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
JZilla

Post by JZilla »

It does seem to be the third party ones. If I "Reveal Presets in Finder..." the MOTU ones, it takes me to Macintosh HD/Users/.../Library/Audio/Presets, which is where I'd expect to find things, but there're only a few manufacturer's plugins listed there, several are missing. With the ones I've tried that do have folders in there I can't save presets normally (oddly enough, except for Altiverb, which for some reason is in the MOTU folder). Some of the ones that have their own internal preset saving within the plugin, such as FabFilter, have my user presets showing up in these folders, but I still can't save them through the DP plugin interface.

I did a search on some of the missing manufacturers and found preset folders in my Documents folder on my drive (for some of them, not all). I tried copying the folders to the same location as the MOTU ones, and still no luck.
DP 10.11
stratology

Post by stratology »

JZilla wrote:With the ones I've tried that do have folders in there I can't save presets normally
Have you ever manually changed permissions, like doing a 'Get Info' on you Home folder, and applying permissions to enclosed items?
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

JZilla wrote:It does seem to be the third party ones. If I "Reveal Presets in Finder..." the MOTU ones, it takes me to Macintosh HD/Users/.../Library/Audio/Presets, which is where I'd expect to find things, but there're only a few manufacturer's plugins listed there, several are missing. With the ones I've tried that do have folders in there I can't save presets normally (oddly enough, except for Altiverb, which for some reason is in the MOTU folder). Some of the ones that have their own internal preset saving within the plugin, such as FabFilter, have my user presets showing up in these folders, but I still can't save them through the DP plugin interface.

I did a search on some of the missing manufacturers and found preset folders in my Documents folder on my drive (for some of them, not all). I tried copying the folders to the same location as the MOTU ones, and still no luck.
Don't move your presets! Different developers store their presets in different locations and if you move them, the plug won't be able to find them.

Now try this (it might sound crazy). In your Apps folder is an application called Font Book. Launch Font Book and check to see if the font Arial is active. If it's not—activate it and restart your machine. If it won't activate, it's corrupt and you'll need to reinstall Arial from a trusted source.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
JZilla

Post by JZilla »

Hey guys, thanks for the answers. I tried making sure that my permissions were cool for all to read & write in the Plugins folders, but it didn't make a difference.

I actually had copied my preset folders in, leaving the originals where they were, so I should be okay there. And I took a look in Font Book, Arial was enabled and apparently working fine. There was one disabled font in the Gill family that was turned off, I removed it since it's not one I use. I haven't had a chance to restart yet (I'm transferring some files), but I'll give that a shot in a little bit.
DP 10.11
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

JZilla wrote:I took a look in Font Book, Arial was enabled and apparently working fine. There was one disabled font in the Gill family that was turned off, I removed it since it's not one I use. I haven't had a chance to restart yet (I'm transferring some files), but I'll give that a shot in a little bit.
Gill Sans is a system font, so it should stay installed and active, regardless of whether you use them in documents as an app (or plug-in!) might need it.
Rick Cornish

stratology

Post by stratology »

JZilla wrote:I tried making sure that my permissions were cool for all to read & write in the Plugins folders, but it didn't make a difference.
Does that mean that you did or that you did not modify permissions?

Does the same issue occur when you're logged in to a different user account?
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Are you using AU or VST btw?

I've never had any luck with VST presets in DP. AU works great if you can manage it.

(unfortunately for me, VST is more important than presets).
JZilla

Post by JZilla »

@stratology: I did modify the permissions after seeing your post.

@Robert Randolph: And I'm using AU and MAS, without any VSTs enabled.
DP 10.11
stratology

Post by stratology »

JZilla wrote:@stratology: I did modify the permissions after seeing your post.
Looks like you misunderstood my post, I was asking if you had changed permissions because that can cause issues, not to suggest that you modify them.
ccrane

Post by ccrane »

JZilla wrote:Hey folks, I've had this issue for a while and haven't been able to figure it out. I don't seem to be able to save FX presets in DP. I use the dropdown in the plugin window and select Save Preset... just like I used to and I get an error beep. I can save the channel insert FX, but not individual plugins. I can recall old settings without a problem, just can't save any new ones. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Encountering an error beep upon attempting to save a plug-in preset can be resolved by creating a folder in the Library folder located at the root level of your HD, full path: root/Library/Audio/presets.
In the presets folder, create a new folder and rename it with the plug-in manufacturer's exact name, then create a folder within that folder with the plug-in's exact name.
If all is working correctly, when you select 'reveal presets in finder' from your plug-in, you will be taken to the folder you just created, and more importantly you should now be able to save your presets.
JZilla

Post by JZilla »

Hey @ccrane, that did the trick. I was looking in the User/Library/Audio/Presets folder. Thanks for the suggestions folks!
DP 10.11
wilkinsi

Post by wilkinsi »

I've only just started getting this issue with certain 3rd party plugins in DP10. I'm happy to say your procedure worked, so thanks! :woohoo:
Mac Mini 2018 - 8GB RAM, 3.6 GHZ Quad Core, 128GB SSD
External 2TB NVME TB3 SSD, External 1TB SSD (OS recovery), External 500GB TB/USB SSD (Time Machine backup)
MOTU 828es
Digital Performer 11, UVI Falcon.