All configurations lost in OS update

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
MidiVeg
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

All configurations lost in OS update

Post by MidiVeg »

I recently updated the Mac OS to 10.11.6, from 10.8 . . . in doing so, all of my MIDI configurations are lost. I have 2 outboard synths that were accessible via DP, now, everything goes to default locations.

MOTU tech support told me I could transfer these setups from saved versions of the old OS, but the files they told me to look for are not in the locations where they said they would be.

I had installed DP9 before I installed the new OS and it was working fine... how can I get things back to working as they were?

Thanks
mikehalloran

Re: All configurations lost in OS update

Post by mikehalloran »

a) You can try disabling SIP temporarily. If your settings reappear, they are in the System where OS 10.11 will not allow them to be accessed. You will need to move them into the proper directory. Reenable SIP when done.

http://www.imore.com/el-capitan-system- ... lware-away

b) Do you have a Time Machine backup? If so, enter Time Machine and scroll back to a date and time when the old OS was active, You must know the old path to the settings. Find the folder, copy the settings and paste into the correct directory.

c) There is something that worked fine in OS 10.8.x and no longer works in 10.11. If so, neither (a) or (b) will work either.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MidiVeg

Post by MidiVeg »

Thanks for the response, Mike, but that's just it, I don't know what files I need to find and move. MOTU tech support emailed me a path to what were supposed to be those files, but what he said to look for isn't there, either in the new OS or on the Time Machine backup, it's either the wrong path or the wrong files. Do we know which files it is that dictates the way the MIDI system is set up in DP, and where they are?

b)" Do you have a Time Machine backup? If so, enter Time Machine and scroll back to a date and time when the old OS was active, You must know the old path to the settings. Find the folder, copy the settings and paste into the correct directory."
stratology

Post by stratology »

mikehalloran wrote:a) You can try disabling SIP temporarily. If your settings reappear, they are in the System where OS 10.11 will not allow them to be accessed.
DP never puts any files into /System, and never has in the past.
stratology

Post by stratology »

MidiVeg wrote:Do we know which files it is that dictates the way the MIDI system is set up in DP, and where they are?
If MOTU support mailed you the names of the files, you can try to find them on your current hard disk. In Finder, use cmd-f to open a search window, in the pop-up menu, select 'Other' and tick 'system files' and 'file visibility', and select to search both visible and invisible files, with system files included. ('System files' in this context means not only files in /System, but also files in /Library and other locations.)

What's the path that MOTU support suggested?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stratology wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:a) You can try disabling SIP temporarily. If your settings reappear, they are in the System where OS 10.11 will not allow them to be accessed.
DP never puts any files into /System, and never has in the past.
No but other programs, utilities and VIs did.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stratology

Post by stratology »

mikehalloran wrote: No but other programs, utilities and VIs did.

...which have nothing whatsoever to do with to OP's loss of DP configurations.
stratology

Post by stratology »

MidiVeg wrote: the files they told me to look for are not in the locations where they said they would be.
Apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but make sure you don't confuse similar looking file paths, like /Library/Audio/MIDI Configurations and ~/Library/Audio/MIDI Configurations...
MidiVeg

Post by MidiVeg »

Thanks everyone for your input. Here is exactly what was sent to me by MOTU. I can get to the referenced "MIDI Configurations" folder in 10.11... It contains a file called
Default.mcfg'. However, there is no corresponding folder in my OS 10.8 Time Machine back up.

------------------------------
Find your configuration file on your OSX 10.8 system. This file will be located here: Users/***your username**/Library/Audio/MIDI Configurations

NOTE! That on any OS version higher than 10.7, the User library is hidden. To access this library folder open any Finder window, choose the Go Menu from the top of the screen and hold down the option key. You will see the Library item appear. Click it and navigate to Audio, MIDI Configurations.

2. Once you have located the MIDI Configuration file, save this file to an external drive.

3. In your new 10.11 system, navigate to your User LIbrary (again you will need to use the Go Menu with the option key pressed down). Any copy the old configuration file to the MIDI Configurations folder.