Processing Peak LED randomly lighting up, muting audio

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
cornellb
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Processing Peak LED randomly lighting up, muting audio

Post by cornellb »

Hey everyone -

I've been experiencing odd performance behavior with DP lately... even since before the DP 9.1 and 9.12 updates.

Sometimes when I'm busy with a project the Processing PEAK LED will light up and stay lit. The Processing LEVEL indicator shows 'normal' behavior, and DP is playing/recording fine, with all the track level meters showing activity. Only problem is, there is NO audio coming from my MOTU 2408mk3 when the Peak LED lights up. It's almost like the audio gets 'muted' but there is still audio activity on the tracks and master output on DP's mixing desk.

It's not the sound card - when I preview audio files from MAC finder it plays back fine. So the audio interface isn't dead.

According to my processor monitoring software running in the background, there is very little processor usage... 7% when DP is in stop mode. But the PEAK LED indicator stays lit.

The other odd thing is, sometimes, if I just leave DP for a while, the LED goes out and audio returns back to normal by itself. Sometimes not, and I have to restart/reload... :roll:

I'm in the middle of exporting backing tracks for an artist, so I'm loading up the songs with all the tracks and plugins and VI's etc. So for example, when I load the third song, the Processor PEAK LED comes on, and after the file has loaded all the instruments, it plays back fine... but no audio.

So sometimes this behavior is during the creation process of a track or cue, and sometimes while loading a project.

I don't know how to recreate the problem... it happens randomly. I'm mostly using NI Komplete Kontrol, EWQL PLAY, Stylus, Omnishpere and Nexus ReFX. I've been experimenting with switching plugins/VI's between realtime and pre-gen mode, but no success. I also noticed that I get digital 'artifacts' when I try to freeze a NI Kontakt track where the instrument is using fx (like some convolution reverb presets) that are 'synced' with DP while in Pre-Gen mode. However, I don't think this issue is related to the one I'm describing earlier, and freezing the Kontakt track while running Kontakt in Real Time sorts out the artifacts problem.

Any suggestions on how to solve the processor PEAK LED problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! :|
DP 11.3 | MacPro (Mid 2012), 2 x 2,4 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon, 12 GB Memory, OS X 10.13.6
[MOTU 2408 mk3 | MOTU UltraLite | MORU 828es | 2 x MIDI Timepiece AV | Unisyn 2.1]
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Processing Peak LED randomly lighting up, muting audio

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Long time issue.

Turn the warning off in preferences. Done.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The PEAK LED is telling you that audio monitoring is taking a back seat to processing. It's not "like the audio is being muted". The audio is being muted. It is a priority issue.

You can turn it off as has been suggested. I found that increasing the buffer on playback did it for me.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cornellb

Post by cornellb »

Ah, ok... thank you.
DP 11.3 | MacPro (Mid 2012), 2 x 2,4 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon, 12 GB Memory, OS X 10.13.6
[MOTU 2408 mk3 | MOTU UltraLite | MORU 828es | 2 x MIDI Timepiece AV | Unisyn 2.1]