DP OS error disk is full (-34)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mrgkeys
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP OS error disk is full (-34)

Post by mrgkeys »

This one is biting me today.. 4 files from a concert length broadcast.. 2.55 GB wavs. I tried turning off Automatic Conversions with no luck. Import or dragging to the icon, to the Tracks Overview, to the sequence editor or copying it first to the desktop won't work. Plenty of room left, and drags into every other DAW I have on here, PT 12, S1v3, Logic and Mixbus. Anyone else get a workaround? I hate to go to something else for surround...

EDIT.. Tried it in 9.02 just to see, same result as 9.12
trackology
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by trackology »

This is a DP problem, not an OSX problem!!! What a copout!!! In my case, I'm trying to simply import 48k/24bit wav files from my Tascam DA-6400 cartridge into DP and I get the Disk Full (-34) error. There's plenty of space on the disk that I've created (and saved) my project to! I've tried both dragging into the tracks or sequence window as well as the soundbites window. I also tried the import command from the soundbites window. Unchecking the "Enable Automatic Conversions for this project" box does NOTHING. In my case, there's nothing to convert anyway! The files are already 48k/64bit. Unfortunately the workaround is to essentially copy the files "twice." If I copy the files to any HD and THEN import into DP, it works fine. In my case, the files are 1.56GB each! I've tried on DP8.07 and DP9.12. The extra step sucks and can be extremely time-consuming but it must be done!
trackology

Post by trackology »

On a whim, I tried something and it worked. No need to copy then import. Create and save your project. This will, of course, create your "Audio Files" folder. From the finder level, just drag your files into the Audio Files folder. Once they're copied, simply drag into the project (where the soundbites, tracks or sequence window). DP will simply create the tracks and immediately begin analyzing the tracks as usual. (for long files, I would suggest not having your settings set to find beats - this will significantly increase the soundbite analyzation time.)

Now in my case, my files were already recorded at the desired frequency and bit rates (48k/24bit wav), which is what my project was set to!
LUG

Post by LUG »

This is biting me now. 100% annoying.

The files were RECORDED to the disk I'm importing them to. It currently has over 3 TB free. What the heck????

I've tried the various methods suggested here and nothing is working.

This is DP 10.13. And it's a good 13 or so 2.36 GB files I'm trying to import.

Such bs.

EDIT: Alright... here's what's weird...

These files were recorded at 48k (via my Metric Halo 2882 MIO, fwiw).

If I set my DP project to be 44.1k, the files imported AFTER I waited for a good oh...6 YEARS for them to down-convert to 44.1. These were just a practice session but I'd be pretty angry if I actually had to do something with these files.

I've created a ticket with MOTU.
Last edited by LUG on Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

LUG wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:56 pm This is biting me now. 100% annoying.

The files were RECORDED to the disk I'm importing them to. It currently has over 3 TB free. What the heck????

I've tried the various methods suggested here and nothing is working.

This is DP 10.13. And it's a good 13 or so 2.36 GB files I'm trying to import.

Such bs.
Despite earlier comments to the contrary, it's a generic OS error. Your system disk is unable to write to the disk you're "importing them to". Why? Many possible causes from a failing drive to one connected via USB or FW not waking from sleep.

Without knowing your hardware setup, I could spend the next half hour guessing blind and be wrong with every one.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
LUG

Post by LUG »

Thanks for the response, Mike.

I didn't even notice it and just edited my post above. Doh!

I was able to import the files as long as they were down-converted from 48k to 44.1.

Far from ideal. Or perhaps this one's on me somehow??

For the record, the files now live on the the 'full' disk that the was being referenced in the error message so something odd is going on.

Be a real bummer if this disk is going bad. TBH, I've never experienced a SSD in the throes of death so maybe that's what's happening. Do you suppose that's what's going on here?

The disk is a good year old or so, so it stings that much more.
LUG

Post by LUG »

One thing maybe worth mentioning about this external USB SSD...

It's encrypted.

Shouldn't matter but I'm just putting it out there.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

LUG wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:33 pm One thing maybe worth mentioning about this external USB SSD...

It's encrypted.

Shouldn't matter but I'm just putting it out there.
It certainly can be a permissions issue where you can read but not write to the disk. Encryption falls under that umbrella.

Shut down. Burnish the USB cable by unplugging and plugging at both ends. Boot up and see if you still have a problem. If not, that's the "USB sleeps and it doesn't happen to some" issue. If connected through a hub, see if you can bypass and connect directly.

If you do, run Disk Utility and Repair Disk. If anything shows up Red, you have a bad drive and it should be replaced. You can keep hitting Repair till it reads OK in Green. It's not unusual for Disk Utility to repair one or two issues at a time but you are living on borrowed time — it's not really fixed and the "repair" can last a few hours to a few weeks. Not a bad idea to check anyway—if Green on the first pass, probably not a drive failure.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
LUG

Post by LUG »

Thanks, Mike! Your advice is much appreciated!

I'll run the disk utility stuff and report back.

In the meantime, I've gone back and forth with MOTU and so far, I think this is a legit bug. We'll see how my disk health is before I die on that hill, however.

In the meantime, I was given this workaround and maybe it'll help others.

- Close the project
- Put the file in the Audio Files folder of the project (drag and drop)
- Open the project
- Go to Project menu > Content Browser
- On the left side, go to Audio Files
- Drag it into the project

I've never used the content browser before so this was somewhat new.

I'd be curious if anyone else can reproduce this.

Record some large files (over 2.3GB) at 48kHz.
Create a new project.
Choose 48k as your sample rate.
Open the soundbites window.
Rt. click, choose 'import audio'.

Boom. Bob's your uncle/'disk is full'.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Here’s a list of MacOS errors.

https://krypted.com/lists/comprehensiv ... ror-codes/

If you put that project on your System drive, you’ll find that it loads ok.Since the procedure you describe is a standard way of loading projects, the odds that -34 is a MOTU bug = 0.

Time to check that drive.
soloact

Post by soloact »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:57 am Here’s a list of MacOS errors.
If you put that project on your System drive, you’ll find that it loads ok.Since the procedure you describe is a standard way of loading projects, the odds that -34 is a MOTU bug = 0.

Time to check that drive.
I'm being bitten by this same problem.
Intel MacBook Pro 2019, 1tb SSD
Ventura 13.3.1
DP 11.2.1
OWC RAID 5tb available

When I move the project off external RAID to my system drive to my system drive as suggested above (and even the file I want to import) I get the same error.

The external RAID is currently working fine for video import/edit/export.

I'm getting the exact same error as the OP with a .wav file that's 4.12 gig. I tried trimming the audio to under 4 gig and same error keeps coming up. When I trim the file to under a gig, it imports fine, and other .wav files under 3gig import fine. This seems to imply it has something to do with the file size I'm importing?

I tried the workaround below posted in this thread, and DP hung so I moved on.
- Close the project
- Put the file in the Audio Files folder of the project (drag and drop)
- Open the project
- Go to Project menu > Content Browser
- On the left side, go to Audio Files
- Drag it into the project

Any more help is certainly welcome. Maybe I need to take this up with MOTU?
Anyone else getting this and having any luck addressing it?
Last edited by soloact on Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

soloact wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:48 pm OWC RAID 5tb available
That's your problem but without knowing more about that, I don't want to fill half a page of possibilities. Oh, I'm fairly certain I know but I need you to confirm a few things in case I'm wrong.

How is it connected? RAID what? Are the drives SATA III SSDs, NVMe blades, HDDs? What is the initial capacity of the array? 5TB available doesn't mean much here.
soloact

Post by soloact »

mikehalloran wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:08 am
soloact wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:48 pm OWC RAID 5tb available
That's your problem but without knowing more about that, I don't want to fill half a page of possibilities. Oh, I'm fairly certain I know but I need you to confirm a few things in case I'm wrong.

How is it connected? RAID what? Are the drives SATA III SSDs, NVMe blades, HDDs? What is the initial capacity of the array? 5TB available doesn't mean much here.
Thanks for the help.
The OWC has handled all my other DP projects and Final Cut 2-camera editing projects (importing 10+gig video files) without any issues, yet you sound confident the OWC is the problem despite the lack of issues...interesting.

Answers to your questions:
RAID is just 2 mirrored 10tb drives for now
Initial capacity is 10tb, I've consumed under 3tb of that.
Drives are Western Digital Ultrastar DC HC510
https://documents.westerndigital.com/co ... -hc510.pdf
RAID enclosure is OWC thunderbolt 3, connected with thunderbolt 4 cables to the MacBook described prior.
https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/thunder ... t-3-raid-5
OWC SoftRaid 7.5 is showing zero errors over the course of 827 million i/o requests on the drives since they were installed Nov 12, 2022. Each drive has less than 24,000 hours on it.

More info:
Two other WAV files that are less than 3gig imported fine
The WAV file over 4gig threw the DP error every time regardless of import method or location of both the project file and the 4+gig WAV file I was importing (on the Macbook's 1tb SSD system drive, or the OWC RAID, or this OWC portable external thunderbolt 3 SSD drive: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB3ENVP20/)

FYI, just to double-check, I just tried importing from the portable SSD drive above again (it's pretty fast). The same error occurs.

The 4+gig WAV file only imported when it was trimmed to less than 4 gig or when it was converted to another file type and the conversion resulted in a file less than 4gig. This seems to indicate the problem is importing a 4+gig WAV file into DP. Every that requirement is reached, the error occurs.

To get the project done, I converted the WAV file, imported the under-4gig resulting file, and the project is now done - didn't have time to call MOTU today.

If anyone else is having this problem and has figured it out, please chime in.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

OWC doesn't make drives or RAID which is what I was asking about. You wrote quite a bit assuming incorrectly. Answering the questions is faster.

Yout external storage couldn't be slower but I don't think that's the problem. Mirrored drives (RAID 1) are great for Time Machine but RAID 0 doubles your capacity and nearly doubles your speed. Had your external drives been SSDs, I would have given a different answer but it doesn't apply to HDDs.

It appears that you may be dealing with corrupt audio headers. DP has a very low tolerance for that. Instead of trimming the file, try rewriting the header. You can do this in Quicktime — convert .wav to .wav or to .aif and back to .wav. The raw audio will be untouched. There are studios that send me files where I have to rewrite every one before it loads into DP — been dealing with them 20 years now and a batch convert of a a hundred gigs takes a few seconds using TW.

QT works fine but, if you do many, there are other utilities that are faster including Twisted Wave and DSP-Quattro.
soloact

Post by soloact »

mikehalloran wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:32 pmYou can do this in Quicktime — convert .wav to .wav or to .aif and back to .wav. ....
Please post screenshots of Quicktime converting audio as you described, including version of Mac OS and version of Quicktime you're using -- I ask because what you're describing apparently isn't an option in QuickTime 10.5 on OS 13.3.1
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 9.32.43 AM.JPG
Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 9.32.43 AM.JPG (40.77 KiB) Viewed 392 times
Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 9.33.47 AM.JPG
Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 9.33.47 AM.JPG (31.97 KiB) Viewed 392 times