DP OS error disk is full (-34)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
towerproductions
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP OS error disk is full (-34)

Post by towerproductions »

Anyone know what might be causing this DP OS error disk is full (-34) ? I am assuming it has something to do the fact that I am trying to import or drag a large stereo wave file 2.7G from a 3 hr plus live show into a DP project so I can edit.

I'm not sure what the disk full part means as the Audio HD this is on has 182G of free space . Anyone know any workarounds or how to get this file into the project ? This happened every time I tried it in DP8, DP9.02 and DP 9.1 when I tried it.

Craig
DP11.1, Mac Pro 3.33 / 12-core, 96GB RAM, Mac OS 10.14.6
2 MOTU 2408 mk3s Black Lion mod, , UA Apollo Quad, UAD 2 Octo PCIe,
a bunch of EW Play,Opus, Spitfire, Sine,UVI, Kontakt Komplete Ultimate, VE Pro 7, Falcon, DSP Quattro, AmpliTube 5,and way too many others.
stratology

Re: DP OS error disk is full (-34)

Post by stratology »

Looks like this is an OS X error message, nothing to do with DP. Here's a list of the relevant error codes.

A 'disk full' error most likely means that the disk is full :D .

Seriously, I've never seen OS X give this message erroneously. Is there only one disk involved, or are you copying the file across disks? Is there an existing DP project that you import into? On which disk is it located, how much space is on it? How did you determine the 18GB free space?

Try to reboot, and move the file again.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

This usually happens if you accidentally try to save to a drive without enough room. Do you have a partition or thumb drive or are trying to save to a DVD?

Examine the directory path. If you really have 182G free space, there's a pilot error somewhere.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

If you are trying to drag that file from a disk directly into DP you'll get that message, save the file to your HD first, then import into DP...
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

kassonica wrote:If you are trying to drag that file from a disk directly into DP you'll get that message, save the file to your HD first, then import into DP...
Of course.

What threw me is the -34 error. It's usually another that pops up.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

mikehalloran wrote:
kassonica wrote:If you are trying to drag that file from a disk directly into DP you'll get that message, save the file to your HD first, then import into DP...
Of course.

I've never understood why this happens in DP though, every other program I've used you can import directly off a disk...

I suspect it's a hangover from the SD11 format...
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

kassonica wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:
Of course.

I've never understood why this happens in DP though, every other program I've used you can import directly off a disk...
That's easy. When you import files, DP writes the changes to that same directory. I've been caught on that one over the years (haven't we all?). Usually, it's an error -109, can't write... If importing from a USB stick or partition, I can see -34 but I didn't know that OS X still used that one.

Long time ago, I made a habit of always copying my audio into a folder (always called Raw Audio) inside my DP project folder. That saved my bacon big time when I went to DP 7.24 and OS 10.6 on my new iMac.

I thought the link to OS 8/9 error codes was amusing — didn't realize Apple still had that online. I've archived it for that day when Apple decides it's no longer necessary.
stratology

Post by stratology »

mikehalloran wrote: I thought the link to OS 8/9 error codes was amusing — didn't realize Apple still had that online. I've archived it for that day when Apple decides it's no longer necessary.
Yeah, Apple lists the article as 'archived', which means it's no longer updated. It's one of the very few public facing sources where Apple reveals error codes.

For completeness' sake, others I've found are:
Error Numbers and Error Messages
(in the appendix of the AppleScript Developer documentation - these are OS X error codes, the error code numbers are identical to the old OS 9 error codes)

Apple Diagnostics: Reference codes
(for when you run Apple (hardware) Diagnostics on boot)
towerproductions

To answer some of these questions, the stereo file I was trying to import was 2.37 GB . The audio file is already in a the same folder as my DP project on my internal audio HD which has 180 GB of free space so there is plenty of room on the drive and not coming from another disk.

As much as I don't like using Pro Tools I ended up creating a PT project in the same DP folder and dragged the file into the PTs without any problems or errors , so it clearly wasn't anything to do with not enough disk space.

So, I still don't see what the hangup was with DP and this error -34. I even tried it from two different startup disks 10.8.5 and 10.10.5 and DP gave the same error every time.

Craig
a bunch of EW Play,Opus, Spitfire, Sine,UVI, Kontakt Komplete Ultimate, VE Pro 7, Falcon, DSP Quattro, AmpliTube 5,and way too many others.
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

mikehalloran wrote:
kassonica wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:
That's easy. When you import files, DP writes the changes to that same directory. I've been caught on that one over the years (haven't we all?). Usually, it's an error -109, can't write... If importing from a USB stick or partition, I can see -34 but I didn't know that OS X still used that one.

Long time ago, I made a habit of always copying my audio into a folder (always called Raw Audio) inside my DP project folder. That saved my bacon big time when I went to DP 7.24 and OS 10.6 on my new iMac.

I thought the link to OS 8/9 error codes was amusing — didn't realize Apple still had that online. I've archived it for that day when Apple decides it's no longer necessary.
the best error code I can remember was minus13 error :lol:
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

towerproductions wrote:To answer some of these questions, the stereo file I was trying to import was 2.37 GB . The audio file is already in a the same folder as my DP project on my internal audio HD which has 180 GB of free space so there is plenty of room on the drive and not coming from another disk.

As much as I don't like using Pro Tools I ended up creating a PT project in the same DP folder and dragged the file into the PTs without any problems or errors , so it clearly wasn't anything to do with not enough disk space.

So, I still don't see what the hangup was with DP and this error -34. I even tried it from two different startup disks 10.8.5 and 10.10.5 and DP gave the same error every time.

Craig
It might of been a permissions error in that case...
stratology

Post by stratology »

towerproductions wrote:To answer some of these questions, the stereo file I was trying to import was 2.37 GB . The audio file is already in a the same folder as my DP project on my internal audio HD which has 180 GB of free space so there is plenty of room on the drive and not coming from another disk.

Craig

I'd try a few things to isolate the issue:
- disconnect all external HDs
- then import the file into iTunes, see if you get the same error message
- you mentioned you dragged the file into DP, so I assume you mean you dragged it onto DP's Dock icon to import. Try to drag it into the Soundbites window, and try to use File > Import in DP, to see if you get the same error message.

Just to clarify that I understand you correctly: you have OS X 10.10.5 on your internal disk, DP, the audio file and the DP project all reside on this same disk - correct?

I have seen the -34 error pop up during image imports into Aperture, but the reason was always that there really was not enough disk space to hold the Aperture library after import, which is larger than the file size of the images themselves.
towerproductions

stratology wrote:

Craig

I'd try a few things to isolate the issue:
- disconnect all external HDs
- then import the file into iTunes, see if you get the same error message
- you mentioned you dragged the file into DP, so I assume you mean you dragged it onto DP's Dock icon to import. Try to drag it into the Soundbites window, and try to use File > Import in DP, to see if you get the same error message.

Just to clarify that I understand you correctly: you have OS X 10.10.5 on your internal disk, DP, the audio file and the DP project all reside on this same disk - correct?

I have seen the -34 error pop up during image imports into Aperture, but the reason was always that there really was not enough disk space to hold the Aperture library after import, which is larger than the file size of the images themselves.
I have repaired permissions on my startup disk . My audio HD is set to share with anyone. I actually have two separate startup disks on separate HDs one with DP 10.8.5 and 10.10.5 which I haven't totally migrated to and as a backup if anything goes wrong, Both of those drives have plenty of space . My DP projects are not on my startup disks they all reside
on a separate audio HD as do all my sample libs on a separate sample drives.

I tried the import function in DP with the stereo wave file which is 16b/48 , dragging into the tracks overview, dragging into the soundbites window , moving the audio file into the DP audio folder none of that worked . I didn't try iTunes but as I mentioned it worked fine dragging the wave file into ProTs so there is plenty of space on the disk.

Anyone else have any reasons for this happening ? If it is an OS disk full problem problem then why does it work in PTS and not DP when they are in the same folder and same HD ?
stratology

Post by stratology »

towerproductions wrote: I tried (....) moving the audio file into the DP audio folder none of that worked .
When you move the audio file to that folder, without DP being involved, you do or do not get the error message?

Other things to try:
- take any small audio file, and import it into this DP project, see if the error comes up
- import the affected audio file into a different DP project on the same disk, see if the error comes up

All these steps are, obviously, not solutions, the purpose is to narrow down the issue, to understand what exactly is going on.
rjpimprov80359

Post by rjpimprov80359 »

I was having the same issue. Called tech support. It has something to do with "automatic conversions"...we think it was probably trying to analyze the tempo or something of the new track...but since we are trying to import such large files it kind of freaks out with an error.

The fix was to go to "preferences", then to "automatic conversions" and unclick "enable automatic conversions for this project".

obviously go back and re-click that for other projects if you need it
DP 9.02, MCP 2.5GHZ i7 16 GB