Massive overloading in both 9.1 and 9.12

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
whittymusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Massive overloading in both 9.1 and 9.12

Post by whittymusic »

Im not sure what is wrong but at 256 buffer size DP is having massive Overload and efficiency problems with the East West Play, Berlin libraries and the Signal pulse engine. It only happens on input and not when the MIDI has been recorded. When I play the tune the new processing kicks in and its very efficient. But up to then and trying to actually record MIDI is a nightmare

Im running 8 core tower w SSD's

For comparison I opened a 32bit version of logic I owned and it has no issues playing these libraries

Also switching the pre gen on and off has no effect on this issue.
David Polich

Re: Massive overloading in both 9.1 and 9.12

Post by David Polich »

East West's Play-engine based libraries have been bug-ridden from the get-go and I don't think too
much has been solved on that front even now. This is undoubtedly an issue East West would have to help MOTU with...and East West isn't the best at tech support or working with DAW vendors.

Signal may be in the same boat - not even aware of DP's change to pre-gen.

Try contacting East West and Signal tech support anyway...DP 9.1 and 9.12 works differently from older versions...East West and Signal (or is it Output?) may not even be aware of that.
Last edited by David Polich on Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
whittymusic

Post by whittymusic »

Agree about East west being bug laden, however DP 9.1 and 1.2 clearly has a performance issue at least with my machine. Libraries such as Signal, Berlin and other Kontakt libraries are spiking on input only. After talking with tech support they confirmed its not just me..
whittymusic

Post by whittymusic »

Also NOTE when running libraries through Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 on the same machine DP is on (haven't tried 6 yet) The overload on input is gone, thus confirming the issue is DP 9.12 has a massive problem for composers, and confirmed with MOTU tech support but they said only "certain machines" are experiencing this. Maybe its only people who use large streaming libraries for film.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

whittymusic wrote:Also NOTE when running libraries through Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 on the same machine DP is on (haven't tried 6 yet) The overload on input is gone, thus confirming the issue is DP 9.12 has a massive problem for composers, and confirmed with MOTU tech support but they said only "certain machines" are experiencing this. Maybe its only people who use large streaming libraries for film.
I wish there was a LIKE button. :-)
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
KenNickels

Post by KenNickels »

I have the same problems with Play and ALL of EW's libraries using DP9.1 and 9.12. I can play back but I cannot move the wiper in order to edit without most note-ons being cutting off. Not every track but nearly every note.

What is the difference in DP between using the transport and wiping, processing-wise?

I asked Motu tech support some very pointed questions, the first which was Do Motu engineers confer with EW engineers. The answer was an emphatic yes. And if that's the case, what's taking so long and what help what it be for us to make EW aware of what they should already know? It's a deal breaker if they can't fix it, because I'm stuck on 9.02 forever. Forget about versions 10,11,12. I'll be long gone by then. I sent them a project to help them troubleshoot, but I'm dubious of this helping because it's not like they couldn't reproduce the problem without me. It's totally predictable every time.
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia
whittymusic

Post by whittymusic »

I will say Play 5 helps, also if you use Vienna Ensemble Pro running your plugins and that will eliminate that.
KenNickels

Post by KenNickels »

whittymusic wrote:I will say Play 5 helps, also if you use Vienna Ensemble Pro running your plugins and that will eliminate that.
Thanks for that! So far so good! I can only run Play in Real time and not Pre-gen mode, and the buffer is at 1024. I'll experiment with that later. Motu said project save times would decrease with 9.12, but mine have increased from 15sec to 40+ sec.

Why would VEP help? I thought that was for systems with slaves.
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia
whittymusic

Post by whittymusic »

Vienna Ensemble Pro will help you a lot as well as getting a pcie solid-state drive. I am using the Sonnet Tempo adapter and it makes a huge difference. And yes running Vienna Ensemble on your host machine will make a huge difference you don't need to use it on the slave even though that's a good thing as well.