Feature requests thread in vein of issues list?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Robert Randolph
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Feature requests thread in vein of issues list?

Post by Robert Randolph »

Any interest in having a formatted feature request list with linked index similar to the issues list?

I'm sure most folks have noticed that some requests get repeated frequently, and perhaps it could help cut down on the noise and provide a quick resource.

Similar to the issues list, it would also be possible to mark certain requests with 'already possible' followed by a clear explanation of how to achieve that workflow. There are a few things that people new to DP ask about frequently, and often they come in the form of a feature request. DP can already do so much, I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of requests end up with 'already possible'.

Ideas? Thoughts?
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Feature requests thread in vein of issues list?

Post by terrybritton »

Good idea - including links to tutorial videos that show how some of these "feature requests" are done would be good. Or embed the videos directly in the page, of course. (For those uncertain how this board accomplishes that, follow this format:)

Code: Select all

[YouTube]VideoID[/YouTube]
Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Sometimes what you call "noise" and a distraction others call an "open discussion." I find open discussions far more valuable than a highly "focused" overly moderated, pinpointed lists of posts.

Personally I don't contribute to the bug discussion/quasi-database for the same reason. I prefer a "conversation" to a "chart" any day. Its just too clinical a presentation method. I see language more like a series of musical phrases and a discussion more like the interplay between themes. You never know where they'll take you. Simple "instructions on how and when to post" is like filling out a DMV form and I don't see myself embracing that kind of paradigm here or on any other online discussion group.

But clearly, if you have enough interest from other members, go for it.

I'm curious, Terry, how do you link to a video of a feature that does not yet exist? Do you mean link to video of other apps that have a feature you want in DP?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: I'm curious, Terry, how do you link to a video of a feature that does not yet exist? Do you mean link to video of other apps that have a feature you want in DP?
Robert seemed to be suggesting that new folks often write posts with feature requests that are actually features or workflows which already exist, but they were not aware of how to accomplish that thing.

So, that is one place I find such a thread as this to be potentially valuable, in that it may create a one-stop-shop where folks can find the answers to their needs and wants concerning their use of DP.

I'm with you on preferring conversation, of course. I certainly enjoy your contributions!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Robert Randolph wrote:Similar to the issues list, it would also be possible to mark certain requests with 'already possible' followed by a clear explanation of how to achieve that workflow. There are a few things that people new to DP ask about frequently, and often they come in the form of a feature request. DP can already do so much, I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of requests end up with 'already possible'.

Ideas? Thoughts?
If you could link this well with posts on the magnificent "Digital Performer Tips Sheet" thread, that would be pretty super!

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

Robert Randolph

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Sometimes what you call "noise" and a distraction others call an "open discussion." I find open discussions far more valuable than a highly "focused" overly moderated, pinpointed lists of posts.

Personally I don't contribute to the bug discussion/quasi-database for the same reason. I prefer a "conversation" to a "chart" any day. Its just too clinical a presentation method. I see language more like a series of musical phrases and a discussion more like the interplay between themes. You never know where they'll take you. Simple "instructions on how and when to post" is like filling out a DMV form and I don't see myself embracing that kind of paradigm here or on any other online discussion group.

But clearly, if you have enough interest from other members, go for it.

I'm curious, Terry, how do you link to a video of a feature that does not yet exist? Do you mean link to video of other apps that have a feature you want in DP?
I understand what you're saying, but do you see the value in having a centralized list of resources?

Like the issues list, I'd only proceed with an open discussion thread correlating to a centralized list post as well.

I also don't see too much value in enforcing similar post conformity as the issues list. Feature requests can be verbose and varied. I think in this situation that a linkable index that helps people find if their request has been made, or if it's currently already in DP, is about all that's really necessary.

edit: Ideally this would all be done in something like Mantis or Centercode (publicly!), but I also value the open forum format.
Robert Randolph

terrybritton wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:Similar to the issues list, it would also be possible to mark certain requests with 'already possible' followed by a clear explanation of how to achieve that workflow. There are a few things that people new to DP ask about frequently, and often they come in the form of a feature request. DP can already do so much, I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of requests end up with 'already possible'.

Ideas? Thoughts?
If you could link this well with posts on the magnificent "Digital Performer Tips Sheet" thread, that would be pretty super!

Terry
I'm quite certain that would be referred to very often. Shooshie's contributions there are already a huge help to users old and new alike.
MIDI Life Crisis

I see the forum as the centralized resource via the search engine, but knock yourself out. Nothing is stopping you from starting a thread. No permissions required.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Robert Randolph

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I see the forum as the centralized resource via the search engine, but knock yourself out. Nothing is stopping you from starting a thread. No permissions required.
I'm stopping myself. I don't think I have the all the greatest ideas, or best ideas etc..

The issues list would have been much worse and less effective without input and help many great folks here (including yourself!). If the 'features' version were to occur, I'm certain I'd require similar input from the community.

---

And regarding the search... I think we'll have to just disagree there. I find it relatively worthless in cases like features or issues, since so many people phrase the same thing in different ways.

I remember recently when I was trying to figure something out that I know I had figured out a year or two ago with help from members here. When I searched, I couldn't even find my own post on the topic! It took me 30 minutes of going through my own posts one by one to find it. Talk about frustrating :banghead:
Last edited by Robert Randolph on Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Robert Randolph wrote:And regarding the search... I think we'll have to just disagree there. I find it relatively worthless in cases like features or issues, since so many people phrase the same thing in different ways.

I remember recently when I was trying to figure something out that I know I had figured out a year or two ago with help from members here. When I searched, I couldn't even find my own post on the topic! It took me 30 minutes of going through my own posts one by one to find it. Talk about frustrating :banghead:
Man, do I agree with that! Search sucks! And, of course, it pre-supposes that you know what terms to search for in the first place.

Searching a "repository of knowledge" style thread is far more valuable and fruitful.

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

MIDI Life Crisis

Jusy like any search engine, sometimes you need to input various ways of phrasing a question before finding an answer. It's not any easier scrolling thru 60 pages devoted to a "focused" concept. Precisely why I think the bug thread is a waste of time. I know that I won't ever go there to try and find a solution unless the search engine takes me to a post.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

I still prefer using the "Search This Topic" tool at the top of every thread to find what I need within a focused context, so we simply relate to forums differently when searching for information.

I do not come here just for information, though, so I am glad this forum offers so much! (Including GREAT people!)

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

Robert Randolph

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Jusy like any search engine, sometimes you need to input various ways of phrasing a question before finding an answer. It's not any easier scrolling thru 60 pages devoted to a "focused" concept. Precisely why I think the bug thread is a waste of time. I know that I won't ever go there to try and find a solution unless the search engine takes me to a post.
There's no sifting through 60 pages necessary. That's the whole point of having a linked index, like the issues list.

Anyway, even if you still stick with search, if you happen upon the theoretical feature suggestion list you'd be pretty much guaranteed to find relevant information. No need to sift through pages of multiple discussion threads to possibly find a workaround or explanation. If the search leads you there, then the answer is there.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Googel Search> xxxx site:www.motunation.com. Done.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

cuttime wrote:Googel Search> xxxx site:www.motunation.com. Done.

:unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS