Melodyne 4 problems in DP 9.1{SOLVED}

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Melodyne 4 problems in DP 9.1{SOLVED}

Post by David Polich »

I have encountered some pretty big problems with Melodyne 4 (plug-in) in DP 9.1.

Here are the issues:

1. Once Melodyne has processed a track, with the Melodyne window open, start and stop playback,
Melodyne's wiper continues to scroll forward 2-4 bars, like it doesn't "know" playback has stopped.
2. Repeated starting and stopping playback intermittently causes "beach ball" and I lose control of DP's transport until the beach ball stops.
3. A MIDI file exported from Melodyne does not line up with my sequence anymore. It's off by anywhere from 2 to 5 bars and an unpredictable number of beats and ticks.

What I think may be one of the causes is that, due to DP 9.1's reduced latency, Melodyne sees a buffer of 512 (the minimum needed for Melodyne to work) as 256. I am going to try setting the buffer to 1024 today, as I have another set of vocals I have to process through Melodyne. I will report back on that experiment.

I have sent tech support emails to MOTU and Celemony.

Please no "I told you so's"... :oops:
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
David Polich

Re: Melodyne 4 problems in DP 9.1{SOLVED}

Post by David Polich »

Ok, I believe I have found the cause of the issue. I set DP buffer to 1024 - Melodyne works
fine. No stutter, no audio dropouts, no beach balls, no wiper continuing to scroll after stopping playback. So this leads me to believe that DP's reduced latency is, in fact, making Melodyne "think" that a buffer of 512 is really 256, and Melodyne struggles at the 512 buffer.

For those of you who use Melodyne, you know that 512 is the minimum buffer that Melodyne needs to work. I recommend setting your buffer to 1024 to do any work with Melodyne for now.

On to the MIDI issue - I tried starting a new project, recording a MIDI kick drum on an external synth (Motif), then recording the result as audio, and then processing that track with Melodyne. This time I did not "select all" notes within the Melodyne window, I went directly to the "Save as MIDI" menu option, and then imported the resultant MIDI track back into DP. The MIDI was late by 20 ticks, but it was consistent, so I shifted it earlier by 20 ticks and it lined up with the audio.

This may have something to do with hardware latency - some synths and drum machines respond differently to incoming MIDI. But at least the MIDI now is not wildly out of sync, nor is it inconsistent. Its actually working like it did in DP 9.02.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

For those of you who use Melodyne, you know that 512 is the minimum buffer that Melodyne needs to work. I recommend setting your buffer to 1024 to do any work with Melodyne for now.
Good to know. Thanks!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

FWIW, I just received a reply from Andrew at MOTU (damn, I love MOTU's tech support!).
MOTU can reproduce the issues with Melodyne4, are aware of the issues, and are working to address them in the next update.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Thanks for the useful info on Melodyne. I had similar problems and rather than try to figure it out, I've been using it stand alone.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I've noticed some problems recently with Melodyne 4 in DP 9.01.

Auto scroll is intermittent, at best.

And a project that I moved to another drive seems to be about 8 bars off. IOW, DP might be showing bar 100 where I activated Melodyne but Melodyne is showing the material at its bar 92.

The original unmoved project seems to be OK??

Buzzy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

mastermixaudiomedia

Post by mastermixaudiomedia »

Having a crashing issue with multiple instances of Melodyne 4 running within DP 9.1... got a ticket into Celemony. If I disable all except one instantiated track things work.

Jumping around to different places in the sequence will bring it down every time with more than one instantiated track.

Digging away at it...
DP 10.13 OS X 10.13.6 Mac Pro 3.46 12-core 48GB/6TB UAD-2 Octo
MOTU User from when before Performer was Digital!
http://www.mastermixaudiomedia.com
mastermixaudiomedia

Post by mastermixaudiomedia »

9.12 fixed my issue... thanks MOTU!!!
DP 10.13 OS X 10.13.6 Mac Pro 3.46 12-core 48GB/6TB UAD-2 Octo
MOTU User from when before Performer was Digital!
http://www.mastermixaudiomedia.com