Fine-tune Audio I/O Timing in DP 9.02 vs 9.1

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
RROY
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Fine-tune Audio I/O Timing in DP 9.02 vs 9.1

Post by RROY »

I thought I noticed some timing discrepancies with external MIDI sound sources in DP 9.1, so I set up a short recording of side stick hits, quantized the MIDI notes and recorded them back into DP as audio to compare where they landed. The audio was considerably behind the MIDI notes. That was with a recording offset of 215 samples, where I had it set for quite some time. It wasn't till I increased the recording offset to 1285 samples that I got them to line up on the grid. Switching back to 9.02 with the same timing offset caused the audio to record considerably ahead of the beat. Not good if you are switching between the 2 versions. Could someone verify that this happens on their system, or not. That's quite a difference in settings between 9.02 and 9.1. It makes me a little concerned about DP and MIDI timing.
Mac Pro 2x2.4 quad core /24 gb ram/OS 10.13.6, Dp 10.13, MTP AV, /UAD 2, KOMPLETE 12, Stylus RMX, SD 3.0, EZ Drummer 3, A&H ZED R 16.
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Fine-tune Audio I/O Timing in DP 9.02 vs 9.1

Post by waterstrum »

Not sure what is up.

I just just tried a similar test in 9.1 with an external MIDI module.

I recorded the side stick as MIDI and then quantized it to 1/4 note.
I then recorded the audio of the module.
Comparing the timing of the two sources....
On playback, the two sounds were amazingly tight.
A slight flanging sound, but considering the parameters, I was very impressed.
Hats off to MOTU.

That being said, I've never needed to use the fine-tune timing feature in the past.
I think the timing has always been very tight, but it was cool to verify the accuracy of 9.1.

Keep us posted about the problem and I'm sure somebody here can help you fix it.
All is well
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

I've also been fooling around with audio-timing in 9.1 and not getting predictable results at all... something does seem broken to me also.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

I am trying some tests with audio fine tuning due to that other thread. I have that sync box unchecked already thanks to your post on the other thread. But anyway I'm trying to just get audio to line up at the moment, not even touching MIDI yet.

However changing the recording or playback offsets is not providing any kind of predictable results, sometimes it seems like its not doing anything, but I can get it to change a little bit sometimes, but not in any way that makes sense.... sometimes I change the value to something radical and it makes no change at all.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

dewdman42 wrote:I am trying some tests with audio fine tuning due to that other thread. I have that sync box unchecked already thanks to your post on the other thread. But anyway I'm trying to just get audio to line up at the moment, not even touching MIDI yet.

However changing the recording or playback offsets is not providing any kind of predictable results, sometimes it seems like its not doing anything, but I can get it to change a little bit sometimes, but not in any way that makes sense.... sometimes I change the value to something radical and it makes no change at all.
I was kinda' aiming at the OP... but good luck straightening it all out!
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

The OP and I are having the same problem, that's why I'm on this thread now too. I have been trying to futz around with the audio timing calibration stuff...and it appears to be broken in 9.1, I'm having similar results as the OP, except I tried really big values and have been unable to get any usable results

....and as I said...in my case I already changed the MIDI sync setting you mentioned on the other thread.

also the thing you mentioned about sync effects how MIDI notes are recorded on the MIDI track. So basically when its checked, it will record the MIDI notes coming into MIDI input late, to match what the player actually hears through latent audio. If you uncheck the box, then the MIDI notes are recorded to the MIDI track exactly as received on the MIDI input. The op in this case has situation where he placed the MIDI notes on the track manually, so its not really related here.. And he's saying the audio coming back is way late compared to the hand-placed MIDI notes, by 215 samples, which he used to correct with the audio timing calibration, but now it appears to be broken in 9.1 in some way..its not working predictably as before for resolving the issue.