Re: Kontakt Inst Levels resetting to 0.0 on playback [SOLVED

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dinobass
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by dinobass »

So not sure what changed, but for now the volume sliders are not snapping to the position of the MIDI faders when I hit play. But there is some funkiness still going on:

I cleared all MIDI learn commands in Stylus RMX and Omnisphere 2. That decoupled the faders. But if I then clear the Multi on those VIs there are different behaviors: Omnisphere stays decoupled but Stylus re-establishes the connection. However, even after Stylus re-establishes the connection and moving the MIDI fader movers the corresponding volume slider, if I set the volume slider on the VI to the level I want it stays there when I hit play now.

Kontakt doesn't have a global MIDI learn clear, and I couldn't control-click on the volume slider to clear any MIDI learn info. So I did a MIDI learn to teach Kontakt that DP's MIDI fader was controlling the volume slider, hoping I could then clear it. When I tried to clear, the dialog asked if I wanted to clear "MIDI learn cc #1". I clicked yes, but the MIDI fade was still coupled (and the mod wheel still worked).

In Play, the MIDI fader did not control the volume slider in the mixer or on the Player page, but it did affect the volume of the channel. So if I lowered the MIDI fader, the volume sliders wouldn't move but the volume would. BTW this is also how Battery 4 behaved, which I would have thought (being an NI instrument) it would have behaved like Kontakt.

Lounge Lizard 4 was not affected in any way by the MIDI fader.

Those were all the VIs I experimented on. Strange that they all act so differently to the MIDI fader, even those from the same developer.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra 128G RAM OSX 14.3, 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, UA Apollo x6, UA Apollo Twin, UAD-2 Satellite (x2)
dinobass
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by dinobass »

cuttime wrote:This quote from Magic Dave may explain why James' solution no longer works for some:

"In DP9, the Event Chasing preference has been changed to enable volume and pan to be sent from the mixer each time you press play. This happens whether you have volume and pan automation in the track or not. If you want to mix your VI instruments from within the VI, go to the DP Setup menu>Event Chasing, and disable CC#7 (volume) and CC#10 (Pan).

Dave"
from this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60115&hilit=event+chasing
Definitely good to know: I'll try this if things go squirrely again, thanks.

I really wish that when something like event chasing is changed, it didn't become the default setting. Nothing more frustrating than when your template changes behavior and you have to troubleshoot it. This goes for all developers, not just MOTU of course.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra 128G RAM OSX 14.3, 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, UA Apollo x6, UA Apollo Twin, UAD-2 Satellite (x2)