Re: Kontakt Inst Levels resetting to 0.0 on playback [SOLVED

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Tobor
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Tobor »

Hi,

I've been building up a lean mean system on my rMBP and it's working well except....all my Kontakt instruments keep resetting to 0.0 and/or default levels every time I hit play or record.

I remember dealing with this on my main system and turning off the volume automation in the Settings menu and it was successful, but it's been so long I can't remember if there's something else I need to set, whether in DP or Kontakt.

Driving me a bit batty so if someone can explain the procedure again I'd appreciate it! I'm using DP 9.1 under Yosemite on both computers.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Kontakt Inst Levels keep resetting to 0.0 on playback

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Check the Kontakt mixer. It may have something going on there which is sending a ctl#7 or setting a level. Also some instruments have level settings which can be elusive to track down, but the Ktk mixer should show the level regardless of whether the instrument of the Ktk mixer is causing the issue.

Or else it's a bug!

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

On my system, the volume of the instruments jumps to whatever fader level in the mixer is at whether automation is on or off.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Thanks for the suggestions....been double checking the settings on my rMBP to match what they are on my iMac (which does not have this issue).

To be a little clearer, it is the settings on the individual instruments that keep resetting to 0.0. For example, I will turn the Kontakt instrument down to -3.6 or maybe up to 4.0 within Kontakt. To experiment further, I reset the Kontakt Mixer down to -3.0. I set DP's Kontakt mixer channel setting down to -4, and the MIDI channel down as well. On hitting 'play' the ONLY settings that jump back to 0.0 are the individual instrument volume settings within Kontakt. DP's mixer settings and the main Kontakt mixer settings remain where I reset them.

On the Automation Settings page, everything is on except the two main Enable Automation boxes in the right column which are unchecked (same settings as on my iMac).

Also all the automation 'play' buttons in DP's mixer are off.

Head scratcher. Again, I remember resetting something on my iMac to solve this very problem but it's been a few years.....
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

On my system I may have Violins 1, Violins 2, Trumpet, etc. all showing up on the mixer as individual faders plus the actual Kontakt return. Whatever fader level the *instrument* is at is what the instrument within Kontakt will jump to no matter what you set the instrument to within Kontakt.

Anyway, that's how it works in my system! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

I hope that I'm understanding your layout and only providing this for, hopefully, more clarity.

Maybe check the mixer faders for your Kontakt instruments. If you move an instrument fader, you should see the instrument volume within Kontakt follow that move.

Hope I'm helping!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

This comes up frequently. Here's a good fix according to this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=44213
James Steele wrote:I had a similar issue using Steven Slate Drums EX. I used a different approach. I open the automation settings for the MIDI track routed to Kontakt then set it to respond ONLY to the controllers specified and then leave that box empty. When you do that DP will no longer send the current fader position every time you hit play.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

James Steele wrote:This comes up frequently. Here's a good fix according to this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=44213
James Steele wrote:I had a similar issue using Steven Slate Drums EX. I used a different approach. I open the automation settings for the MIDI track routed to Kontakt then set it to respond ONLY to the controllers specified and then leave that box empty. When you do that DP will no longer send the current fader position every time you hit play.
Bingo! That did the trick, thanks James! LOL that thread rings a bell as well, I think I was going through it on my iMac around that time. That six years certainly went fast. Anyway, I set the 'Only' as the default setting for new MIDI tracks and hopefully that will be that. Interestingly, I took a look at a typical MIDI track on my iMac and it's on the 'all' setting and all is well there...curious.

Buzzy, thanks for your suggestions as well. In checking out the Kontakt mixer again I discovered some interesting options for routing in the menu just above the channels that could bear exploring and might have been useful in solving my dilemma. I usually just use the stereo out. If you are doing scoring, are you using multiple Kontakt mixer channels? I would think that would solve the problem of applying various effects to different instruments without having to use multiple instances of Kontakt. I've been getting into the whole scoring thing lately with dedicated string libraries etc. and am just starting to decide what I want to have in my template(s). Lots to learn!

Thanks as always for the great help!!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Tobor wrote:Anyway, I set the 'Only' as the default setting for new MIDI tracks and hopefully that will be that. Interestingly, I took a look at a typical MIDI track on my iMac and it's on the 'all' setting and all is well there...curious.
Well the trick with not messing up Kontakt multis is to set it to "Only" and then leave the box with the controllers it responds to empty (at least to start with). That way when you press play the fader/pan position won't be sent to the target of that MIDI track.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Thanks again, really helped!!
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I learned something, too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

dinobass

Post by dinobass »

Just put in a new SSD start up drive with OSX 10.12.4. After a fresh install of DP 9.12, I am having this issue now where the MIDI track fader is controlling the volume output of the corresponding VI channel. Using Automation Setup and following the steps in this thread is not solving the problem. Looks to me like I have defeated all the automation, but the MIDI fader and the volume slider are still linked somehow.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra 128G RAM OSX 14.3, 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, UA Apollo x6, UA Apollo Twin, UAD-2 Satellite (x2)
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

dinobass wrote:Just put in a new SSD start up drive with OSX 10.12.4. After a fresh install of DP 9.12, I am having this issue now where the MIDI track fader is controlling the volume output of the corresponding VI channel. Using Automation Setup and following the steps in this thread is not solving the problem. Looks to me like I have defeated all the automation, but the MIDI fader and the volume slider are still linked somehow.
Yes, I found this to be the case, also. Disabling Event chasing for Volume is the only way I can get things to stay put with Kontakt.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
dinobass

Post by dinobass »

In the Event Chasing window from the Setup menu I don't see Volume.

BTW, I have tried setting the Enable Automation Types: to Only and leaving the box blank, as well as to All except: and putting volume in the box. In both cases the MIDI fader remains connected to the volume slider.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra 128G RAM OSX 14.3, 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, UA Apollo x6, UA Apollo Twin, UAD-2 Satellite (x2)
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

dinobass wrote:In the Event Chasing window from the Setup menu I don't see Volume.
Add>Enter Controller Number for Insertion>7

James' approach seems to be the definitive solution, and the fact that it has worked for so many leads me to believe that I may be doing something wrong.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

This quote from Magic Dave may explain why James' solution no longer works for some:

"In DP9, the Event Chasing preference has been changed to enable volume and pan to be sent from the mixer each time you press play. This happens whether you have volume and pan automation in the track or not. If you want to mix your VI instruments from within the VI, go to the DP Setup menu>Event Chasing, and disable CC#7 (volume) and CC#10 (Pan).

Dave"
from this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60115&hilit=event+chasing