Optimizing usage of multiple cores in DP

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Optimizing usage of multiple cores in DP

Post by waterstrum »

I'm running a multi-core Mac Pro, running DP 8 to 9.1.

What is the best way to distribute the CPU load over the cores?

Often, projects will go in to the red when I go to lower latencies, but the Mac activity monitor shows very low CPU use.
It looks like I should have tons of headroom, but audio clipping and the red is blinking.
Some of the cores are lazy and not even being used.

Is there a way to help DP distribute the load?

Thanks
All is well
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Optimizing usage of multiple cores in DP

Post by Phil O »

Yes, but I forget the details. Magic Dave has posted on this subject, I would do a search on his posts.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I'd like to know, too. I am using more plugins lately than "normal" and do get the occasional spike using DP 9.01.

I do remember that, if using Kontakt, it's better to use multiple instances as opposed to loading just one with multiple instruments as that somehow forces a spread amongst the cores.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Large and heavily scripted VI instruments should be in their own instance in f the VI, not shared. For every such VI instantiation there should be a separate faded in the mixed. This allows DP to access a separate core for each.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

My impression about the CPU performance meter provided by MOTU is that is a peak reading meter, and the Apple version is average reading.

Once DP9.1 is fully sorted, it should be the answer to overworked CPUs for many.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Large and heavily scripted VI instruments should be in their own instance in f the VI, not shared. For every such VI instantiation there should be a separate faded in the mixed. This allows DP to access a separate core for each.
I've asked NI this directly and their response was the opposite. To use as few instances of Kontakt as possible since it handles multi-threaded operations more efficiently on its own. Now... which DAW they are comparing to I don't know. Logic for instance behaves better with 1 instance per instrument no matter what. Maybe DP is similar?

I would suspect for other sample players this is highly dependent on the underlying architecture. I know that ARIA based instruments should be spread out across instances as much as possible for instance.

Single instance definitely saves on RAM usage compared to multiple though.

I'd be curious what the results are if someone tested this though. The question gets asked a lot on other DAW forums.
MIDI Life Crisis

Robert Randolph wrote: I've asked NI this directly and their response was the opposite.
Well that's how MagicD tells it and, in fact, it can and does reduce the processor load on my system substantially. In a non multi-core setting it would, of course, not make any difference at all. Other than that, you are correct.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Robert Randolph wrote: I'd be curious what the results are if someone tested this though. The question gets asked a lot on other DAW forums.
I assume you can deduce your answer to this from my earlier post.

Just in case you missed it...

viewtopic.php?p=530749#p530749
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:For every such VI instantiation there should be a separate ((((faded)))????? in the (((((mixed))))???. This allows DP to access a separate core for each.
I didn’t understand this sentence, can you please re-state?..Thanks
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

toodamnhip wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:For every such VI instantiation there should be a separate ((((faded)))????? in the (((((mixed))))???. This allows DP to access a separate core for each.
I didn’t understand this sentence, can you please re-state?..Thanks
He means fader in the mixer - auto correct error.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.