DP Control for iOS: What MacOS/iOS/DP combo still works?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP Control for iOS: What MacOS/iOS/DP combo still works?

Post by James Steele »

I have a dilemma. I used to be able to have DP control work for my backing tracks system on my MacBook. Somewhere along the line I think I brought it. Probably with a MacOS update. I'm running Yosemite on the MacBook and iOS 8-something on my MacBook. DP 9.02.

Has anyone figured out what the latest combo of DP version, iOS version and MacOS version allows DP Control to still work reliably?

I'm in a quandary because I want to have faders to control levels of what is essentially a mono or stereo pair backing track mix. The idea was that a friend of the band could be in the room and adjust elements in the mix... perhaps best without letting the FOH engineer know what's going on. :) I don't want to go through the hassle of downgrading my laptop to Snow Leopard (I think that worked!). Don't even know if I can install that on an SSD. Or maybe it's a DP version issue and I should try DP 8 again?

Sigh. There might be a third party iOS solution that works and will show track names. Having to downgrade the MacBook seems like the worst option. I sure wish MOTU would see to it to update DP Control! :banghead:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
billf

Re: DP Control for iOS: What MacOS/iOS/DP combo still works?

Post by billf »

I can frequently make it work on 10.9.5 (Mavericks), DP 9.1, and the latest iOS. However, it's prone to freeze at random times, and then requires the iOS app to be reset. And that doesn't always work, which leads to alternatives.

I've found the Pro Tools Control app to be more reliable in that it works with DP 9 and doesn't freeze, however it requires Euphonix EuControl to run in the background, so it can make DP (and Logic if you use it) take longer to launch at start up.

DAW Control also works, but setting up requires that you go into the Audio/MIDI setup utility on OSX and tweak the network settings, which can be a little temperamental at times.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

+1 on DAW control. Has always been reliable for me.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote:+1 on DAW control. Has always been reliable for me.
Link? Does it report the track labels to the iPad so it's clear to see what fader is what?

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

James Steele wrote:
Link? Does it report the track labels to the iPad so it's clear to see what fader is what?
It functions just like a Mackie Control surface. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/daw-con ... 25383?mt=8

There are some good tips in this thread on setting it up and tweaking it: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=60593&p=524276&hil ... ad#p524276
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote:
James Steele wrote:
It functions just like a Mackie Control surface. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/daw-con ... 25383?mt=8

There are some good tips in this thread on setting it up and tweaking it: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=60593&p=524276&hil ... ad#p524276
Thanks. One thing I miss about DP Control in this case, when you wouldn't necessarily think it's a good feature, is that when you went to the Mixing Board page, the transport controls were nowhere around. I'm scared of the idea of giving this to someone to be in the audience at a gig making adjustments and worrying about them accidentally touching transport controls (like "stop") in the middle of a song. But might be what I have to go with now.

I remember an early app that I helped the developer get going years ago that had an expander app that only had faders. May see if I can press that into service also. Still be so much better if MOTU would fix DP Control in my case.

Thanks again for the link!

buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Yeah, I just flat don't understand why MOTU won't update DP Control. It was so useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

cleamon

Post by cleamon »

James Steele wrote:I have a dilemma. I used to be able to have DP control work for my backing tracks system on my MacBook. Somewhere along the line I think I brought it. Probably with a MacOS update. I'm running Yosemite on the MacBook and iOS 8-something on my MacBook. DP 9.02.

Has anyone figured out what the latest combo of DP version, iOS version and MacOS version allows DP Control to still work reliably?

I'm in a quandary because I want to have faders to control levels of what is essentially a mono or stereo pair backing track mix. The idea was that a friend of the band could be in the room and adjust elements in the mix... perhaps best without letting the FOH engineer know what's going on. :) I don't want to go through the hassle of downgrading my laptop to Snow Leopard (I think that worked!). Don't even know if I can install that on an SSD. Or maybe it's a DP version issue and I should try DP 8 again?

Sigh. There might be a third party iOS solution that works and will show track names. Having to downgrade the MacBook seems like the worst option. I sure wish MOTU would see to it to update DP Control! :banghead:
This doesn't answer your question re: latest version(s), but for reference and FWIW:
I don't use DP control, but I have a copy (version 1.0.2) and it works fine on Mt. Lion (10.8.5) with DP 8.07. Whether that's stable over the long term (session) I couldn't say. But it does seem to work with no glitches (so far).
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
mastermixaudiomedia

Post by mastermixaudiomedia »

I have the latest iOS 9.3.5 and DP 9.12, but OS X 10.8.5(Mountain Lion) on the Mac and DP Control is working fine for me. Sorry James! :-/
DP 10.13 OS X 10.13.6 Mac Pro 3.46 12-core 48GB/6TB UAD-2 Octo
MOTU User from when before Performer was Digital!
http://www.mastermixaudiomedia.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mastermixaudiomedia wrote:I have the latest iOS 9.3.5 and DP 9.12, but OS X 10.8.5(Mountain Lion) on the Mac and DP Control is working fine for me. Sorry James! :-/
No problem. That is helpful. That would point to a MacOS issue perhaps? Maybe MOTU could tweak something on the Mac side of things that might make DP Control work with Yosemite and later. But this does suggest that I could downgrade my MacBook to Mountain Lion or earlier and be in good shape. I may have to spend a few hours doing that to get DP Control working again.

OOF
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by OOF »

DP Control works fine for me on my iPhone, but no longer on my iPad, which was much more useful, being larger. I'm amazed that MOTU hasn't fixed it, or at least announced they cannot.
Am running El Cap and DP 8.07
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

OOF wrote:DP Control works fine for me on my iPhone, but no longer on my iPad, which was much more useful, being larger. I'm amazed that MOTU hasn't fixed it, or at least announced they cannot.
Am running El Cap and DP 8.07
Do you have different iOS versions on your iPhone and iPad?

waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Not sure how hard it would be for MOTU to do it, but.....

How about making a state of the art iOS controller for DP

It might be a game changer.
All is well