DP9 -- Some older projects not playing in sync in 9

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Timeline
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP9 -- Some older projects not playing in sync in 9

Post by Timeline »

I have one track that will not play in sync and another that comes up distorted but will toggle clean if I hold the bit selection tab down. What up?
Last edited by Timeline on Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
David Polich

Re: DP9 -- older projects not playing in sync in 9

Post by David Polich »

Can you just re-record those tracks?
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Not sure. have not tried that. I plays fine though holding the bit select button. Maybe I will try making a new track and moving the audio into it. Thnaks
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

The distortion sounds like the post fader bug. I don't know about the sync issue. Check to see if you have any post fader plugins on that track. This is a known bug and MOTU plans to correct it in the next release. Simply remove the post fader plugin from that slot and see if the problem goes away, I don't know if you'll need to re-launch DP.

[edit] I thought it was interesting that you mentioned holding down the bit tab. So I tried it. I placed a plugin post fader and DID get some distortion and dropouts. Holding the bit tab made it go away. Wow, how did you find that? :shock:

Anyway, this makes me even more suspicious that this might be the problem. Check those inserts!

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Phil O wrote:The distortion sounds like the post fader bug. I don't know about the sync issue. Check to see if you have any post fader plugins on that track. This is a known bug and MOTU plans to correct it in the next release. Simply remove the post fader plugin from that slot and see if the problem goes away, I don't know if you'll need to re-launch DP.

[edit] I thought it was interesting that you mentioned holding down the bit tab. So I tried it. I placed a plugin post fader and DID get some distortion and dropouts. Holding the bit tab made it go away. Wow, how did you find that? :shock:

Anyway, this makes me even more suspicious that this might be the problem. Check those inserts!

Phil
Hey Phil,
I found the bit button by accident but more importantly why would that fix the problem momentarily.

Last night I made a duplicate track and moved the audio over and that solved the issue. Whats more interesting is when I moved the plugs over (one at a time), The problem returned when the MOTU analog flanger was copied over so I took it out and went for the DP9 analog flanger and all was well.

So, issue solved.

Apparently in the process of replacing the MOTU analog flanger @ the update of an old mix to DP9, that plug was not updated like the rest of the motu plugs, although now I'm curious what other incompatibilities are there I don't know about. Possibly the (hold the bit button) is a clue somehow. Keep it in mind if you bring in an old mix and this happens. Regards, GB

P.S. DP9.1 sounds much better to me. I'm not sure if its the way they handle plugs or audio engine related but it is much clearer on the top end. It's easy to hear this difference on my high end headphones. I have reloaded all my mixes except the one with the MIDI error so far.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Timeline wrote:I found the bit button by accident but more importantly why would that fix the problem momentarily.
Yeah, that is so interesting. And I find it interesting that it momentarily fixes the post fader bug as well. It makes me wonder if the two are related. Dunno. We'll leave that to the MOTU engineers. :?

Wouldn't that be the ultimate work-around for all issues in 9.1? Click and hold the bit selection button during playback. Problems solved.:lol:

BTW, just curious, did you have any post fader plug-ins in that project?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Update:

I've found that other pull-down windows have the same effect. If you click and hold them the problem temporarily goes away. I wonder if this action is temporarily disabling pre-rendering and forcing the whole project to run in real time. That would make sense. This all could be pre-rendering issues. Again, I'm just speculating, but it's another piece of the puzzle.

Phil
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Happy to see you found the workaround. Problems like this always prompt me to copy to a new
track or simply re-record the track.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Phil O wrote:
Timeline wrote:I found the bit button by accident but more importantly why would that fix the problem momentarily.
Yeah, that is so interesting. And I find it interesting that it momentarily fixes the post fader bug as well. It makes me wonder if the two are related. Dunno. We'll leave that to the MOTU engineers. :?

Wouldn't that be the ultimate work-around for all issues in 9.1? Click and hold the bit selection button during playback. Problems solved.:lol:

BTW, just curious, did you have any post fader plug-ins in that project?

Phil
Yes. I have not tried making a new master fader track and moving the UAD plugs over yet. I will try that next. Thanks, GB
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

....rrrright...What's a bit tab?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Bit rate select button on right side of controller
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Thanks, I thought that was what you meant, but I always called it the Sample Format button.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Good catch on the workaround !!!But now we all have gotta pay our interns to hold the button down.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

:-D :lol:

Well, just make a new track and paste the old audio in then move the plugs over one at a time until the bad plug reveals itself and you will be fine.