Can anyone shed light on this DP8 & DP9 Change?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
csiaudio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Re: Can anyone shed light on this DP8 & DP9 Change?

Post by csiaudio »

Wow this is nuts thanks for the verification that it's functioning as it should. I'll make sure I have a clean install and see if that helps. If you have any other input for me to resolve this that would be great because this small issue is a total pain.
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

While the copy/paste issue is certainly something worth keeping track of, did you try the method I listed? If you store the script and the DP file together, it's the easiest way to name a DP file. No copying/pasting necessary. None.

If you had tried it, you probably wouldn't want to use the old method again. It just doesn't get any easier. Yet... silence.

You can lead a horse to water...

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Along with the shooshie's idea, here's another one:

I use https://manytricks.com/namemangler/ to handle such things. You easily do something like 'Rename folder and .dpdoc file to the name of the first found .doc file in the directory' and various other very cool things.

It does take a bit of time to learn to use it, but it's exceptionally powerful.

You could also learn to use the command-line tools that OS X comes with, which allow you identical capabilities.

I know the c&p problem still exists for you, but there's at least a few ideas for workarounds (that may be better than you current workflow even!) if you can't get it working.
Last edited by Robert Randolph on Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
csiaudio

Post by csiaudio »

Shooshie wrote:While the copy/paste issue is certainly something worth keeping track of, did you try the method I listed? If you store the script and the DP file together, it's the easiest way to name a DP file. No copying/pasting necessary. None.

If you had tried it, you probably wouldn't want to use the old method again. It just doesn't get any easier. Yet... silence.

Shooshie
Yeah I'm gonna give that a try thanks. The only thing is I've been doing this for 18+ years and you know I simply have a work flow that I like and honestly by DP simply doing what it always did...that's what I'd like most. So, if I can figure out why my specific system isn't functioning properly that would be my best solution. But again, yes, I will give your process a try - it may be even better like you say!!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

csiaudio wrote:
Shooshie wrote:While the copy/paste issue is certainly something worth keeping track of, did you try the method I listed? If you store the script and the DP file together, it's the easiest way to name a DP file. No copying/pasting necessary. None.

Shooshie
Yeah I'm gonna give that a try thanks. The only thing is I've been doing this for 18+ years and you know I simply have a work flow that I like and honestly by DP simply doing what it always did...that's what I'd like most. So, if I can figure out why my specific system isn't functioning properly that would be my best solution. But again, yes, I will give your process a try - it may be even better like you say!!
One click in the Save dialog, and your file is named.

It's that simple.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Shooshie wrote: One click in the Save dialog, and your file is named.

It's that simple.
I dunno, man. Seems like a lotta work to moi. :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
csiaudio

Post by csiaudio »

Well even though I updated to 10.11.6 and a clean install of DP 9.1 I believe I found the issue, so I'll post it here just in case anyone else experiences this.

When in DP if you hit 'Command+N' for a New Project it won't allow you to paste any thing into the Dialog window :( However if you select the 'New' button in the DP Project Start Up Window it will allow you to paste something into the Dialog window.

Which obviously this makes absolutely NO sense what so ever but at least this is a very workable solution for me.

So thanks for everyone's input and of course MIDI Life Crisis' sarcasm because what would we do without him chiming in on every post, right!?

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

csiaudio wrote:Well even though I updated to 10.11.6 and a clean install of DP 9.1 I believe I found the issue, so I'll post it here just in case anyone else experiences this.

When in DP if you hit 'Command+N' for a New Project it won't allow you to paste any thing into the Dialog window :( However if you select the 'New' button in the DP Project Start Up Window it will allow you to paste something into the Dialog window.

Which obviously this makes absolutely NO sense what so ever but at least this is a very workable solution for me.

So thanks for everyone's input and of course MIDI Life Crisis' sarcasm because what would we do without him chiming in on every post, right!?

I'm glad you're at least back to nearly where you used to be. I know what it's like to have an old familiar workflow interrupted, but usually MOTU has been good about not letting that happen.

Meanwhile, I wish you'd try that little method I told you about. It's so easy it just might make you forget your old familiar workflow! No copying/pasting is necessary. When you click on the client's file in the Save dialog, it inserts its name into the Save field. Your DP file will be saved with the very same name as the client's script. The only difference is the suffix that identifies it as a DP file. You don't have to add that; it does.

1) Click Save-As
2) Click the client's file name
3) Click OK

Shooshie
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

csiaudio wrote:When in DP if you hit 'Command+N' for a New Project it won't allow you to paste any thing into the Dialog window :( However if you select the 'New' button in the DP Project Start Up Window it will allow you to paste something into the Dialog window.
That makes absolutely no sense to me either, but I just tested it and got the same results. I guess I just haven't been using the keyboard shortcut and never noticed it. Great troubleshooting, man! I would definitely submit a TechLink on this.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Robert Randolph

csiaudio wrote:Well even though I updated to 10.11.6 and a clean install of DP 9.1 I believe I found the issue, so I'll post it here just in case anyone else experiences this.

The cmd-N difference appears here too.

Please report that to Motu. I wouldn't say it's 'weird' (since I know what's occurring), but it is silly.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Robert Randolph wrote:(since I know what's occurring), but it is silly.
And you're just gonna leave us haninging? :shock:
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Robert Randolph

Phil O wrote:
Ok, slightly non-technical explanation.

The cmd-n version seems to be invoked after some other routines run that don't run when you hit 'new project'. It appears that the cmd-n dialog has a different sender (or parent) than the 'New Project' version. Essentially the main menu is no longer linked to the file dialog because of 'other stuff happening'.

If you hit cmd-v or cmd-a with the 'cmd-n dialog', watch the menus. You'll see the edit menu flash. The command is being dispatched elsewhere (due to some panel ownership mishap) and in turn not getting to the dialog.

Obviously this is speculation (and I could be wrong obviously), but I've encountered this exact issue in my own code and this was the only cause I found, or that I found anyone else had encountered at the time.
csiaudio

Post by csiaudio »

Interesting. I did report this to MOTU and the already confirmed the issue and said they will address it in the next update.

Thanks for everyone's help - at least I now have a workable solution!!

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Robert Randolph wrote:
Phil O wrote:
Ok, slightly non-technical explanation...
Thanks man. Now I can sleep at night. 8)
csiaudio wrote:Interesting. I did report this to MOTU and the already confirmed the issue and said they will address it in the next update.
Good to know. I always feel better when MOTU confirms a bug, cuz if they can't reproduce it, they can't fix it. Just sayin'.