Can anyone shed light on this DP8 & DP9 Change?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
csiaudio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Can anyone shed light on this DP8 & DP9 Change?

Post by csiaudio »

I use DP for marketing audio as well as music projects. In DP 7 and before I could always take a Word Doc script that a client sent me, copy the name of the script, open a new DP project and simply paste the script name into the new DP project. If I only did this a few times a day it wouldn't be an issue but when you do it 40 or 50 times a day the work around is a P.I.T.A..

This simple, common function among every other software product made hasn't worked since DP7. Why? I've reported this to MOTU multiple times and I just don't understand why this simply function doesn't work with DP when it use to.

Any thoughts?
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
Shooshie

Re: Can anyone shed light on this DP8 & DP9 Change?

Post by Shooshie »

Could you explain a little more clearly what you used to do vs. what you have to do now? I'm not understanding the problem. Not disagreeing with you; I just don't understand it. Maybe you left out the workaround part or something.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
csiaudio

Post by csiaudio »

Sure. In the first post I noted what I use to do so now I'll mention what I have had to do since DP 8.

Now I have to click on the Word doc name to highlight it, copy so it's in my clipboard. I then have to open DP and give type in something short like the clients initials. The session opens I then have to save and close the session, open up the new session folder then copy and paste the Word doc name into the session folder and the session .dpdoc Now the session is named accordingly.

To reiterate, previously and like most every software product out there I could open a new session, hit paste into the new session name and it opens the session with that name. Simple.

Make sense? If it doesn't I can always make a quick video, which I've done in the past and send to MOTU.

I just don't understand why this simply, common function no longer works. If there was a good reason I'd be ok with it but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

So you are using a piece of text from your clipboard to select a filename of the same value in the file open dialog?

Is that correct?
csiaudio

Post by csiaudio »

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Ok, Let me see if I understand.

• You have a doc from a client.
• You want to create a DP file with the same name.
• It doesn't work the same, so that process is more convoluted than it used to be.

Try this method:
  • 1) Put the client's Word.doc in the folder where you want DP's project folder to reside.
    2) Open a new file in DP.
    3) Click Save (or Save As if the DP file already exists)
    4) When the save dialog comes up, click on the client's Word.doc.
    5) Your DP file now has the same name as the word doc, but with the DP suffix.
That works, so if that's what you are trying to do, it's probably a better method than you were using before.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

csiaudio wrote:I just don't understand why this simply, common function no longer works. If there was a good reason I'd be ok with it but that doesn't seem to be the case.
This got broken somewhere along the line. I seem to recall that it was fixed in one of the latest updates. Can't remember which version, but it's working now - if you're in 9.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
csiaudio

Post by csiaudio »

Phil O wrote:
csiaudio wrote:I just don't understand why this simply, common function no longer works. If there was a good reason I'd be ok with it but that doesn't seem to be the case.
This got broken somewhere along the line. I seem to recall that it was fixed in one of the latest updates. Can't remember which version, but it's working now, if you're in 9.
Humm I am now on 9 and it's not functioning for me. What OS are you using?

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

10.11.6 Just tried it to check. It's currently working here, and I know it hadn't been for quite some time.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
csiaudio

Post by csiaudio »

Well I'm not on El Capitan I didn't like it much so I much but maybe I'll try it. I'm on 10.10.5. So could this issue actually be a Mac OS issue??

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Wait, I found it. It was fixed in 8.07:

Version 8.07 provides many improvements, optimizations, and refinements. Here are just a few highlights:
• Fixed an issue where very long audio files would constantly regenerate their overviews.
• Fixed an issue where “Use Single Movie Per Document” wasn’t properly updating the movie window.
• Fixed end time calculation in the Change Tempo dialog.
• Improved support for external video hardware.
• PunchGuard now works as expected with auto record punch-in points.
• Fixed a crash in projects with very complicated bussing.
• Fixed an issue where two sequences with instruments with the same name and default-named bundles wouldn’t route audio properly.
• [Win] Fixed ReWire-related crashes.
• [Mac] Added several fixes and enhancements for operation under Yosemite.
• Made several fixes and enhancements regarding video export.
• Fixed a crash when exporting as OMF/AAF with rendered fades.
• The "Ignore Mistakes" option in QuickScribe now defaults to being turned off.
• Changed the default option for Punch Guard to only record pre-roll when punching in.
• [Mac] The Configure Hardware Driver dialog now allows 16 and 32 sample buffers if the audio hardware supports them.
• Removed the option to embed audio in exported AAF files, due to compatibility issues with 64-bit support.
• Improved Final Cut Pro 7 XML import.
• Applying an effect to a soundbite removes any bite gain afterward because it has already been applied with the effect.
• Pasting in the MIDI editor from a single track now pastes to the current master track, as expected.
• [Mac] Cut, copy and paste once again work in file dialogs.
• [Win] Fixed clippings.
• [Win] Fixed printing.
• [Win] File dialogs recall their last used location.
• [Mac] Video playback now works when running with multiple, mirrored displays.
• [Mac] Fixed bouncing to QuickTime with a sample rate greater than 48khz. Apple’s AAC encoder only supports up to 48khz and DP will downsample if necessary.
• [Mac] Optimized video loading and playback under 10.9+.
• The movie window now remembers whether it was fullscreen when opening a project.
• Unlocking the movie during playback no longer stops the movie.
• Streamers are now displayed vertically (at 90 degrees), rather than at a slight angle.
• Click-generated punches can now be turned off by choosing "None" from the size menu.
• Duplicating a track also duplicates its automation state, e.g. whether it’s enabled or in touch mode.
• The Search window properly searches windows docked in the Consolidated Window.
• Non-compliant MIDI messages are now ignored for improved compatibility with MIDI devices that produce them. • Improved OMF/AAF import and export.
• Fixed a bug where inserting a bar while preserving time resulted in the start time being off by a single SMPTE bit.
• DP now displays the output configuration for multiout VSTs in the name, such as “Kontakt 5 [16 out]”.
• Fixed an issue where adding an instrument track with multiple output configurations such as Kontakt 5 would create an unassigned track.
• [Win] Fixed an issue where a frontmost plugin window would steal keystrokes when using the keypad decimal key to edit the main counter.
csiaudio

Post by csiaudio »

Ok the plot thickens...so what could be hindering it working on both DP8 & DP9 for me then!?!

Thoughts?

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I'm assuming both 8 and 9 were clean full installs. Yes? Did you get up to 8.07? Even so, I would think the fix would be integral to v9. I'm speculating. :?

{edit} sorry, just read your sig.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

It's working here fine in 9.02 and 9.1 on OS X 10.11.6.

Here's a gif of it in action using DP 9.1 (click if it's cropped on your screen):

• I select and cmd-c the "Hi there csiaudio" text in textedit.
  • New project.
  • Select/delete text (not necessary, you can cmd-v right away)
  • cmd-v
  • Then I repeat cmd-a, delete, cmd-v a few times
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm in DP8 and 10.10.5 and it works here.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com