DP9.1 Meters to Audio & Aux Tracks Not Reflecting Panning

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
zuul-studios
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP9.1 Meters to Audio & Aux Tracks Not Reflecting Panning

Post by zuul-studios »

Hello -

This is regarding the DP 9.1 upgrade (and possibly earlier DP 9 versions?). (Please note my system set-up in signature line.)

I am discovering that, when using VIs, the meters to either the Stereo Audio Tracks or the Aux Tracks are not reflecting the change in panning, using DP9's own panner. The sound changes as intended, but the meters remain the same. On the other hand, if I pan an instrument via the VI plug-in, the meters do seem to accurately reflect the panning. Again, if I pan an instrument hard left or hard right using DP9s panner, the stereo meters remain unchanged.

I have DP 9 loaded on both my Mac Pro and MacMini. (I actually own two separate upgrades of DP 9.) This issue that I mention happens on both computers. This issue also happens regardless of what virtual instrument I set-up.

I still have DP8 (latest version) still loaded on my Mac Pro. For this version, the meters do reflect changes in panning using DP8's panner.

Am I configuring something wrong? If so, what should I configure in DP9 that will enable the meters to accurately reflect panning changes using DP9's own panner, when using VIs? Might this be a bug?

Thank you for your time and thoughtful feedback.

Ted
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.5 (beta); 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
cuttime

Re: DP9.1 Meters to Audio & Aux Tracks Not Reflecting Panni

Post by cuttime »

Yes, I'm seeing this very behavior with all tracks except for the Master out on the Meter Bridge. :banghead: I was just trying to track down another problem with the fader meters (no metering at all!), and now you mention this. The lack of metering was fixed, BTW, by rebooting my machine. I'm still on 9.1, but I don't see this behavior with 8. I'm not sure if I want to roll back to 9.02 yet, but that may be coming. Another trip to Techlinks, but damn, I just don't want to overwhelm them right now. Can someone else confirm this with 9.02?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Wasn't the meter position changed explicitly in 9.1?

edit: yep.

• Track level meters now display the track's level post-fader and pre-pan.

Not a bug, just a weird design decision. edit: I say weird because it seems odd to change at this point, even though it's relatively standard behaviour.
Last edited by Robert Randolph on Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

You are right Robert, from the Read Me:

Track level meters now display the track's level post-fader and pre-pan.

Trying to figure out a way to change to post fader using the microscopic insert dot.
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

Yep. It's there in the "Read Me", and it's the first new feature on the list. (I am embarrassed to admit that I did not read the "Read Me". And, rarely do I read the manual. :oops: )

I am not understanding why this might be beneficial. Why is this beneficial?

Where, in DP9.1, might one be able to configure the track level to reflect post-panner changes?
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.5 (beta); 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

zuul-studios wrote:I am not understanding why this might be beneficial. Why is this beneficial?
Ya know, when I first saw this as a "new feature" I thought exactly the same thing. I cannot answer that question. If anyone has a good answer, please chime in.
Where, in DP9.1, might one be able to configure the track level to reflect post-panner changes?
There was a reference somewhere on MOTU's web site to this being an option, but as far as I can tell it is unchangeable in 9.1. I'm guessing that the plan was to make it an option, but it never made it into the first release. (just speculation for sure) So for now we're stuck with it.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

First - Thank you all for the thoughtful and confirming comments. I could not find where one would configure the audio & aux tracks to show post-panning levels. Gratefully, pretty much everything else works as needed for my modest composition/sequencing projects.

Ted
Computer:

Software:
reedster

Post by reedster »

is Meter Bridge of any help ?
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

reedster wrote:is Meter Bridge of any help ?
Meter Bridge shows the same. For the life of me, I don't understand this "feature".
reedster

Post by reedster »

Bussing a track into an Aux or inserting a Trim plug-in post fader allows you to see the panning - in the plug-in or the Aux

I'm not sold on this feature either.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I like the new behavior. To me, the meters became useless once I started panning, because I could no longer gauge what was happening in the tracks relative to each other, and I couldn't tell what the ratio between them was supposed to be, relative to the panner.

The "new" approach puts the meters before the panner, so the stereo meters remain true to each other. The next stage of the mixdown — a submaster or master or stem track — reflects the panning. Now, the Master Track seems to serve some function other than just another channel strip before final output.

I know it may feel odd to those who've been using DP forever, as I have, but it also feels more like a real mixing board.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:I like the new behavior. To me, the meters became useless once I started panning, because I could no longer gauge what was happening in the tracks relative to each other, and I couldn't tell what the ratio between them was supposed to be, relative to the panner.

The "new" approach puts the meters before the panner, so the stereo meters remain true to each other. The next stage of the mixdown — a submaster or master or stem track — reflects the panning. Now, the Master Track seems to serve some function other than just another channel strip before final output.

I know it may feel odd to those who've been using DP forever, as I have, but it also feels more like a real mixing board.

Shoosh
I get your point, but I find this new approach odd. For a start, what's the point of showing a stereo meter when the two channels always show the same thing? Technically, I suppose it makes sense to show the difference between left and right in the next stage of the signal flow where the info is most important, but it's really inconvenient to have to extend the path to another stage for tracks that go directly to the main outputs.

I expect there is an update coming. The release notes say the pre-post metering is an option, so maybe 9.1.1 will implement a preference or setting where we can change this.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Yeah, ideally we should be able to switch either way.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mwilloam

Post by mwilloam »

Just noticed this and just thought it was a bug. I'd rather track meters show post panned signal. To me give better visual feedback of the mix layout. Ideally should be configurable. Odd...
beautypill

Re: DP9.1 Meters to Audio & Aux Tracks Not Reflecting Panning

Post by beautypill »

Hello. I'm on DP 10.13, but I'm reviving this old thread, I guess.

Is there a fix for this?

I hate the way it works now.

I want the meter to reflect the panning the way it did in earlier in versions of DP.

- c