Another 9.1 quirk

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Another 9.1 quirk

Post by waterstrum »

A simple session with just a vocal and Ivory 2.
No other plug ins.
Using Ivory in V-rack for several chunks.
Never a problem before.

Now, I hit the play button and it takes a half second before play begins.
No matter where in the sequence, there is a significant delay when I push play.

I open the Ivory window and select the real time option.
This fixes the problem.
I close the Ivory window and the delay comes back, even though I had the real time option selected.

Does this mean that we have to have all of the windows of our VIs open to be able to start play in real time?
Could be a big mess of windows for a complex project.

Not a big deal for a one VI thing, but is anybody else experiencing the behavior?
All is well
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Another 9.1 quirk

Post by Phil O »

PDF User Guide p.842:

Pre-gen operation with 3rd-party plug-ins
MOTU works hard to ensure a high level of compatibility with 3rd-party virtual instruments and effects. There may be cases where pre- generation may not work as expected with a given 3rd-party plug-in. These cases should be reported to MOTU and the plug-in vendor so that compatibility can be fully established. In the meantime, you can run the plug-in or instrument in real time. To force a virtual instrument track into real-time operation, record-enable any MIDI track that targets the instrument. To force an audio track’s effects into real time, the track can either be record-enabled or monitor-enabled. Alternately, the effect can be placed on an aux track, either in a chunk or a V-rack, with bussing used to access the effect. Aux track effects are always rendered in real- time.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

All check that countoff hasn't been accidentally engaged. I've done that a few times too many.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

This is something I reported in my lengthy Pre-Gen bug post. Yes, it's happening here, too. Hit play, and it takes sometimes several seconds before it does.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
waterstrum

Post by waterstrum »

Thanks Shoosh....
I thought I was loosing my mind.
All is well
waterstrum

Post by waterstrum »

I'm sure Motu will get this fixed, but am wondering why "start on play" would be an issue.
Kind of a big deal for me.
All is well
danatkorg

Post by danatkorg »

Phil O wrote:PDF User Guide p.842:

Pre-gen operation with 3rd-party plug-ins
MOTU works hard to ensure a high level of compatibility with 3rd-party virtual instruments and effects. There may be cases where pre- generation may not work as expected with a given 3rd-party plug-in. These cases should be reported to MOTU and the plug-in vendor so that compatibility can be fully established. In the meantime, you can run the plug-in or instrument in real time. To force a virtual instrument track into real-time operation, record-enable any MIDI track that targets the instrument.
I may be missing something, but this seems like a somewhat baroque work-around. What if I want to record on another track? I guess I could enable Multi-Record (with its incumbent hassle of setting the correct MIDI input source for each track), and then set the input for those "force-realtime" tracks to a dummy MIDI source - but that seems like a lot of bother, especially in comparison to an explicit menu command. Same with having to leave windows open. Perhaps MOTU has a more robust solution in mind, but weren't able to implement it for 9.1 - so here's hoping for that maintenance release.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I'm with you on that.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.