New 9.1 upgrade overloads playback...

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New 9.1 upgrade overloads playback...

Post by Shooshie »

KenNickels wrote:One technician told me that motu knows about the problem, another said he was not aware of it and advised me to start from scratch with a new template. Not a trivial task!

I'd love to hear from other EastWest Play users with big templates out there.
If it's at all similar to the problems I've been having with SampleModeling's The Cello, and it sounds exactly the same, a new template will not solve the problem. I did it with brand new files, and it did the exact same thing. I have not found anything yet which solves the problem. I've reinstalled the instrument several times, including a newer version of it. I reinstalled DP9.1 once. I've deleted preferences. I even repaired permissions, which DID repair MOTU Audio System (MAS), which had me hopeful for a while, but no change.

I've tried all the buffers. I've tried Work Percent and all those kinds of settings (Page 28 of the Getting Started guide). Basically, I think I've eliminated everything possible on our end, leaving this to MOTU's programmers to figure out. I'm not saying don't bother to try things, only that I can't think of anything else to try, and in the case of The Cello, not one thing made one iota's difference.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Rolled back to 9.02 and things are fine for me although 9.1 sounds better.
Last edited by Timeline on Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

As my old bass player used to say, "I love what you're trying to do".

I'm afraid that's the case with 9.1. I've been using it for a bit and generally things have been running smoothly. At first I was excited that on many projects the performance meter seemed to be much more efficient, and also noted that the bottom bar/playback meter showed some activity where before there was little if any.

However, more recently depending on the program I've noticed more spikes. I just picked up a few string libraries which are a little more power hungry. As mentioned here EastWest Play spikes and redlines with just one track loaded.

So perhaps I will also go back to 9.02 for the time being. But MOTU, I really like what you're trying to do!
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Tobor wrote:So perhaps I will also go back to 9.02 for the time being. But MOTU, I really like what you're trying to do!
Sadly, I'll probably have to do the same thing. I was hoping to test DP 9.1 from top to bottom, but the time to do that is not materializing, and I still have to record some projects, plus I need to use The Cello, so I guess it's going to be 9.02 for me again. I hate to do that, but the effect of having only 9.1 on my drive right now is keeping me from opening any projects at all, since I feel like I need to test things and figure out what's wrong before continuing working. I'd better just roll back so that I won't hesitate to open my existing projects and keep going. I don't have to erase 9.1; maybe I'll still be able to use it some.

Like Tobor said, MOTU, I really like what you're trying to do. Just stay with it and get these kinks figured out so we can all arrive at the promised new features together equally.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

So folks are giving MOTU an “A” for effort.
What’s the actual grade for product?

To some like me, maybe a “D” or a touch higher. To others, =no issues, “A-“.
So here's the TRUTH....

The product is clearly INCONSISTENT.

Works great on some systems, breaks on others. Probably has a lot to do with 3rd party companies. In the end, does anyone really care WHY DP is inconsistent? Of course it looks better for MOTU if it’s another companies VI that aren't reporting right, while MOTU itself has "no bugs". But then, why release a product that doesn’t work with the VI’s and plug ins that are reality in todays’ REAL world. Does that CHANGE DP being broken or not? Not really. It either works or it doesn’t right?
So think back to your school days when you screwed up a teacher’s assignment and gave excuses for your bad grade. Even good excuses.

Did anyone really buy it? Did the dog eat MOTU’s homework assignment?

Interesting questions...

What’s MOTU’s grade folks? They are watching. We do not have to grade them with anger or malice, but only honesty.

I give a C- or D. But again, I can’t work because looping without glitches broke and processor performance suffered on my particular system. Does it help me that Joe Blow’s system works perfectly? Does it help me that DP is “perfect” and 3rd parties are to blame? Are they really? I dunno. To me, it works or it doesn’t and I love the DAW and hope it gets fixed.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I'm just glad I bought it late.

I see you guys working with 9.1 and suffering. Well I feel bad about that but I'm glad it's you guys, not me. Shooshie seems to be doing a lot of test bed work for Motu and I hope he doesn't get so frustrated he gives up on all that great work, leaving it to Motu. I think the important thing here is, to keep finding the errors and bugs and reporting them here. It shows Motu that there are many professional users struggling to make it right and willing to put the time in too and that means something and helps all of us. So, thanks you guys. 9.1 when fixed up is going to be great ...
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Suffering? A little hyperbole? DP 9.1 is working just fine here.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Suffering? A little hyperbole? DP 9.1 is working just fine here.
Looks like the dog didn’t eat MOTU’s homework in your class. Nice! You give it an A?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I've been doing some suffering myself like loosing templates, changing waveform edit techniques, having to revert just to remix some tracks, etc.
KenNickels

Post by KenNickels »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Suffering? A little hyperbole? DP 9.1 is working just fine here.
Glad to hear it. One man's suffering is another man's glee ...?

I'm guessing that your vi's are basically Kontact driven? I should do some testing of my own, but I rolled back to 9.02 just to get things done. I am hoping that MOTU starts testing EW Play with the same large scale templates as they hopefully use for Kontact. In all my glitch scenarios I must always suspect Play. But does that leave MOTU off the hook? People here say no.
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

KenNickels wrote:But does that leave MOTU off the hook? People here say no.
We could all have quite an argument as to where the line is on a DAWs responsibility to work with VIs that are out in the professional workplace.
Should the DAW forge ahead and let VI and plug in manufacturers catch up? Should a DAW hold back development in consideration of the 3rd party protocols out there already? I would lean towards the latter. However, it is a cooperative effort between all companies involved. Without the DAW, 3rd party companies would have no environment to work in, and Without 3rd party companies, DAWs would be limited to whatever plug ins they could development in house. I think the ONE thing any DAW has as a PRIME responsibility, is to be forthcoming with users so as not to BREAK ongoing projects. If a DAW manufacturer published data such as “does not work with xxxxx” that would allow users to make an informed decision. Unfortunately, the REALITY of all of this, is that things BREAK without warning from DAW makers. And that’s where we users get a bit victimized. This is where beta testing equates to any DAW living up to it’s responsibilities with it’s user groups. The good thing that has always existed in DP is that older versions usually work if a newer version breaks. Thank goodness right?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I just love what happens here. Sigh.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
KenNickels

Post by KenNickels »

James Steele wrote:I just love what happens here. Sigh.
James, I think MOTU is an awesome company, and I hope that they can make it happen. I have confidence that they will. But only they know what make it happens entails. As other people have said, I would also appreciate a full explanation once the maintenance version is released.
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Timeline wrote:Shooshie seems to be doing a lot of test bed work for Motu and I hope he doesn't get so frustrated he gives up on all that great work, leaving it to Motu.
Just to be forthright, here, I haven't done near the testing this time that many others have. Robert has tested a lot, and Babz has done some wonderful and amazing testing that helped get me on the right track for the tests that I did report. Others have done a lot more than me. I just don't have the time this time. When I open DP, I have to be focused on the project at hand, and try to get it done in the time that I have. My time is not my own right now, or I would do more.

I try to participate in the conversations, but with the exception of one really good night of testing, I haven't done much in 9.1.

Shoosh
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I love where MOTU is headed with DP and appreciate their efforts as well as the testing that intrepid members of this forum have graciously conducted. I mean this most sincerely. However, selfish ass that I am, I am still very happily chugging along with DP8.07 running under Mountain Lion. It works perfectly, and I can afford little less than perfection at this point in my work life.

The above stated, DP's advances in efficiency have me ready to plunk down hard-earned cash as soon as DP9.1 works well enough for me to invest the time it's going to take to rebuild my system in a stable form. I look forward to that day, and thank our brave early adopters again for their sacrifices, contributions and accelerated hair loss. (It may grow back... hopefully, in its original location.)