DP 9.1 - Mixing Board comes to front after hiding DP

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP 9.1 - Mixing Board comes to front after hiding DP

Post by Babz »

OK, this may not be a major bug, but it is something that is different in DP 9.1.

I use the Consolidated Window but keep the Mixer in a separate window. If I have the mixer behind the CW then hide DP (Command-H) and go to the Finder, when I come back to DP, the Mixer has moved to the front of the CW. (Arrgh!!! :evil: ) I then have to do the extra step of clicking on the CW to bring it to the front.

I did not have to do this in earlier DP. MOTU, please confirm and fix.

Best,
Babz
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9.1 - Mixing Board comes to front after hiding DP

Post by Shooshie »

This sounds like bad news, but I haven't seen it happen yet. You know I keep my mixing board in a separate "Space," so if it brings it back in front of the Consolidated Window, it's going to force me to put it back in its space. That would be most troublesome, eliminating most of the gains of doing it that way to begin with. I'd better test for that.

By the way, Babz, you can do it from the keyboard with Command-Tilde. That's the old Mac command that cycles through windows.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Babz

Post by Babz »

Shooshie wrote:
By the way, Babz, you can do it from the keyboard with Command-Tilde. That's the old Mac command that cycles through windows.

Shoosh
Yes, that is how I usually do it with all apps. Command-H to hide, Command-tilde to bring it back.

Just in case you want to replicate my exact steps.

B.
labman

Post by labman »

Babz, I believe MOTU must have thought they fixed a longstanding bug. In all versions of DP9 if you saved the mixer window as a separate window in front of CW, when you reopen the file, the mixer was always put back behind the CW window. So you had to do two steps upon reopening all files that should have shown mixer atop CW. Reported this and they confirmed many moons ago. So my guess is they thought they would fix it with this feature that you are seeing .?.?.?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

I'm trying this here and the Mixer always shows up where I left it.

If I hide with it in front, it restores to the front. If I hide with it in the back, then it restores to the back.

I can make a video of how it's working here if that helps?

Have you tried trashing prefs and seeing if that helps?
labman

Post by labman »

Hey there Robert. Yup we keep clean install prefs on desktop for quick swapouts. And Motu was able to verify. Perhaps it is just with files created in older versions of DP? I dont know or I forget one or the other. :) Discussed with Motu last winter.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Robert Randolph

labman wrote:Hey there Robert. Yup we keep clean install prefs on desktop for quick swapouts. And Motu was able to verify. Perhaps it is just with files created in older versions of DP? I dont know or I forget one or the other. :) Discussed with Motu last winter.
I'm saying that it IS fixed fwiw. The mixer always goes back to where it was for me.

I don't see Babz's problem here in 9.1. So there must be some difference.
labman

Post by labman »

Robert Randolph wrote:
I'm saying that it IS fixed fwiw. The mixer always goes back to where it was for me.
Oh my. Engineer will be soooooo happy !!! :woohoo:
Babz

Post by Babz »

OK, further tests... Even weirder than first thought.

First, if you want to try the test, it's Command-H to hide, Command-Tab to return to DP.

So, after reading some of the comments here, I tried more tests. At first it was just as before. I started with a new project in DP (with my template). In my template the mixer starts off in a separate window behind the CW.

With Mixer in back, I did Command-H and returned w/ Cmd-Tab, and the Mixer was in front.

But then, without doing anything else, when I immediately did Command-H and Cmd-Tab again, THEN when I returned to DP, the mixer moved to the back again!

I repeated the process a few more times and it stayed in back.

Then, I paused for a few minutes to type this post, went back to DP to verify that it was still staying in back, and THIS TIME it came to the front.

Then, I immediately did Cmd-H, Cmd-Tab, and each time it stayed in front!

It seems to be related to how much time you wait between doing Command-H to hide and Command-Tab to return. It you return immediately, it seems to remember your window front/back window settings. But if wait too long before coming back, then it seems to reverse what the window arrangement.

I *think*....

See if anyone can reproduce THIS!

Thx,
Babz
Babz

Post by Babz »

One further bit that I just discovered...

It only happens when you use Command-H (Hide).

If you switch back and forth to Finder using Command-Tab, front/back window positions don't change.

Best,
Babz
Babz

Post by Babz »

Here's ANOTHER thing I discovered.

When this happens and you come back to DP with the Mixer in front, you cannot send it to the back by simply clicking anywhere in the CW. You have to click in the title bar to bring the CW to the front. Once you do that, then you can change window positions by clicking anywhere in the window. But the first time, you can only do it by clicking the title bar.

Similarly, if you start off with the Mixer in front, then do Cmd-H, Cmd-Tab and it moves the mixer to the back, you cannot bring the Mixer to the front again by simply clicking anywhere in the Mixer. You have to click in the title bar to get it to come to the front!

Babz
Babz

Post by Babz »

Robert Randolph wrote: I'm saying that it IS fixed fwiw. The mixer always goes back to where it was for me.

I don't see Babz's problem here in 9.1. So there must be some difference.

Are you sure you are using Command-H and not just Command-Tab? Also, you need to wait a minute or so before returning to DP.
Babz

Post by Babz »

OK, so until MOTU fixes this bug, here is the workaround that I came up with for this problem:

First do Command-H to Hide.

Then when you come back to DP (using Cmd-Tab) and the Mixer is now in front, do Cmd-Tab twice to switch rapidly between DP and Finder and back to DP, and the Mixer will be back behind the CW where it is supposed to be.

:smash: :lol: :twisted: 8)
Robert Randolph

Man, I just can't seem to make this happen.

The mixer is always staying in the last place it was for me. I left DP hidden in the background (with cmd-h) and tried bringing it back with cmd-tab or clicking the icon. The mixer always got put back where it was (behind or in front).

I'm also having no issues sending the mixer to the back. It always goes back when I click the CW.

I'm following all your posts and this seems really odd. :surrender:

If you have any other tips, I'm totally willing to try it out here.
Babz

Post by Babz »

Robert Randolph wrote:Man, I just can't seem to make this happen.

If you have any other tips, I'm totally willing to try it out here.

Thanks for trying. Will be curious to see if anyone else can reproduce or if it's just me. One difference between our set ups is that I am still on ML. I also have the channel strip in a separate window. Doubt that is part of it, but you could try, if you want.

Best,
B.