DP 9.1 sustain pedal not audible during recording

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
jacey714
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP 9.1 sustain pedal not audible during recording

Post by jacey714 »

I tried with Event Chasing OFF (unchecked using "clear" button") and the same problem persists every time~
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Shooshie »

Babz wrote:
charnach wrote:Setting event chasing on or off doesn’t seem to affect it. I have the same problem either way.
After reading this, I tested again. After several tries, I cannot get it to happen when Event Chasing Controllers is OFF.

Best,
Babz
Maybe this small detail is related to whether one uses an external MIDI sound source or a VI. I'm about to dive in for the first time since DP 9.1 came out (other than some cursory tests to see if certain bugs were fixed). I won't have a lot of time tonight, but I'll try to confirm this. Also, I'm wondering if the same issue may be what's causing an existing (with data) record-enabled track to send the performance meter off the scale for Sample Modeling's "The Cello." Turn off record and the meter is barely visible. I'll test this with some of the same scrutiny you reported in this thread, and see if they follow the same cues.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Babz

Post by Babz »

jacey714 wrote:I tried with Event Chasing OFF (unchecked using "clear" button") and the same problem persists every time~
I have not used the "Clear" button. Try it the way I have been doing it. Everything is checked except for the Controllers button.

Like this

Best,
Babz
Last edited by Babz on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Babz

Post by Babz »

Shooshie wrote: Maybe this small detail is related to whether one uses an external MIDI sound source or a VI.

Shooshie

I can make it happen with either an external MIDI sound source (Roland XP-80) or a VI (Kontakt, Scarbee EP). Those are the ones I tested with.

Best,
Babz
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Babz wrote: I have not used the "Clear" button. Try it the way I have been doing it. Everything is checked except for the "All" box next to Controllers.
I don't see any way to do that. Perhaps I'm being dense, but if I select "All Except" or "Only" it defaults back to "All" when I reopen the window. I can't directly untick the "All" button.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Babz

Post by Babz »

cuttime wrote:
Babz wrote: I have not used the "Clear" button. Try it the way I have been doing it. Everything is checked except for the "All" box next to Controllers.
I don't see any way to do that. Perhaps I'm being dense, but if I select "All Except" or "Only" it defaults back to "All" when I reopen the window. I can't directly untick the "All" button.
All I did was open the Event Chasing window. Everything was already checked and I clicked to uncheck Contollers button. "All" button remains checked. Sorry, I was misstating it before. It's the Contollers box. This box unchecked. This is what I mean by "event chasing off". (I have not touched the buttons below.)
Like this:

Last edited by Babz on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jacey714

Post by jacey714 »

Babz wrote:
cuttime wrote:
All I did was open the Event Chasing window. Everything was already checked and I clicked to uncheck the All box next to Contollers. (I have not touched the buttons below.)
Like this:

This didn't work for me~ Still have the same problem...
Babz

Post by Babz »

jacey714 wrote:

When I have that box unchecked, I cannot get the sustain pedal problem to occur. When that box IS checked (and you follow all the other steps I have outlined), I can get the sustain pedal problem. Sorry if that was unclear, but hopefully all is clear now.

Best,
Babz
jacey714

Post by jacey714 »

Babz wrote:
jacey714 wrote:

When I have that box unchecked, I cannot get the sustain pedal problem to occur. When that box IS checked (and you follow all the other steps I have outlined), I can get the sustain pedal problem. Sorry if that was unclear, but hopefully all is clear now.

Best,
Babz
So you tried recording on the same track multiple times without undo-ing?
Babz

Post by Babz »

jacey714 wrote:
Babz wrote:
jacey714 wrote:

Best,
Babz
So you tried recording on the same track multiple times without undo-ing?

As I have tried my best to describe... I record on a track, press the sustain pedal, release the sustain pedal, and stop recording. Then start recording again on the same track. If Event Chasing is on, the problem occurs. The same recording procedure with Event Chasing off (i.e., the Controllers box unchecked), the problem does not occur.

Hope this helps,
Babz
jacey714

Post by jacey714 »

Babz wrote: As I have tried my best to describe... I record on a track, press the sustain pedal, release the sustain pedal, and stop recording. Then start recording again on the same track. If Event Chasing is on, the problem occurs. The same recording procedure with Event Chasing off (i.e., the Controllers box unchecked), the problem does not occur.

Hope this helps,
Babz
I did the same and the problem still persists for me~ As long as there's any note or MIDI data on a track, my pedal cannot be heard while recording over them~ When I delete the notes from the track or undo until all the notes disappear, then it would work again...
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I still don't have DP open, but from what you all are describing, it sounds like Pre-Gen is interrupting Event Chasing when a track has been recorded. If there is no information to pre-generate or to chase, then there's no problem. If there is data, some sort of collision is taking place, and it looks like event chasing cannot find the data to access, because it's locked up in Pre-Gen's temporary track.

It is easily fixable with a flag and a re-routing routine, but they have to do it.

This is why I suspect that my problem with The Cello may be similarly related. It has to do with existing data, record enabled, which is sending the performance meter over the top. Something is up with all this, and I think Babz has found it.

I'll report back when I actually can verify something rather than speculate on it.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Shooshie wrote: it sounds like Pre-Gen is interrupting Event Chasing when a track has been recorded. If there is no information to pre-generate or to chase, then there's no problem. If there is data, some sort of collision is taking place, and it looks like event chasing cannot find the data to access, because it's locked up in Pre-Gen's temporary track.
Sounds like a good theory, however, at this point, I'm not too sure how to disable Pre-gen. The Mini-Menu shows "Run Open Instances of this Plug-In in Real Time", but I'm not sure it's doing anything, anymore. Do you untick the option, or shut the window? Or both?
Babz

Post by Babz »

jacey714 wrote:
Babz wrote: As I have tried my best to describe... I record on a track, press the sustain pedal, release the sustain pedal, and stop recording. Then start recording again on the same track. If Event Chasing is on, the problem occurs. The same recording procedure with Event Chasing off (i.e., the Controllers box unchecked), the problem does not occur.

Hope this helps,
Babz
I did the same and the problem still persists for me~ As long as there's any note or MIDI data on a track, my pedal cannot be heard while recording over them~ When I delete the notes from the track or undo until all the notes disappear, then it would work again...
Yes, that is also how my tests have been. Except that if i start with a new track and Event Chasing off (Contrillers button unchecked), then I can start and stop recording on the same track without the sustain pedal issue. Therefore, the problem seems to be that event chasing of cc64 gets messed up after an initial cc64 off message. It seems that live MIDI patch thru of cc64 gets stuck in off mode when you resume recording on the same track, and it takes another off and on message to unlock it.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Babz wrote:It seems that live MIDI patch thru of cc64 gets stuck in off mode when you resume recording on the same track, and it takes another off and on message to unlock it.
I wish I could have said that in my MOTU Techlink.