DP 9.1 sustain pedal not audible during recording

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9.1 sustain pedal not audible during recording

Post by Shooshie »

This has turned into a much more widespread bug than this thread addresses. It turns out to affect all MIDI controller data, not just Sustain. So, I've started a new thread, giving credit to this thread and especially to Babz, and I've continued testing there. Please come to the new thread to post more about this problem.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

Shooshie wrote:This has turned into a much more widespread bug than this thread addresses. It turns out to affect all MIDI controller data, not just Sustain. So, I've started a new thread, giving credit to this thread and especially to Babz, and I've continued testing there. Please come to the new thread to post more about this problem.

Shooshie

Wow. Impressive (and methodical), as always, Shooshie.

However, here's a few things...

1. First and foremost: Are you able to reproduce the sustain pedal thing?

2. I just did some more testing, with these results ...

3. Record some on and off sustain pedal into a track. Place the wiper after that point and simply PLAY (not record). No issue. I can only get it happen if I am RECORDING.

4. I did the same test with pitch bend, and with modulation, and could NOT get it to happen. So far, this issue seems to be limited to cc64 (and recording), in my tests.

5. Since I can get the issue when testing with an external hardware synth, doesn't that suggest that pre-gen is not involved? Pre-gen is only about software plugins, right?

6. Since hardly anyone uses breath control, can you give us a way to produce your issue that involves some other controller?

Best,
Babz
Babz

Post by Babz »

BREAKING NEWS...

I just got off the phone with MOTU tech support (talking them through how to reproduce the sustain pedal bug*) and they were able to reproduce it and confirm it as a genuine bug.

So they know about it and are working on a fix!

Bazinga!

Babz

[*This was just cc64, Shooshie, but I did mention to them that other controllers could be involved, and breath control specifically, and told them to check the Motunation board for your posts on this, so I'm sure they will be looking into that too!]
jacey714

Post by jacey714 »

Babz wrote:BREAKING NEWS...

I just got off the phone with MOTU tech support (talking them through how to reproduce the sustain pedal bug*) and they were able to reproduce it and confirm it as a genuine bug.

Bazinga!

Babz

[*This was just cc64, Shooshie, but I did mention to them that other controllers could be involved, and breath control specifically, and told them to check the Motunation board for your posts on this, so I'm sure they will be looking into that too!]
You rock!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Babz wrote:BREAKING NEWS...

Bazinga!

Babz

Wow, Babz! You are genuinely the Dudette of the Day! :mrgreen:

I'm so glad you did that. Maybe I won't have to turn that crazy post of mine into a techlink.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
labman

Post by labman »

Yes, Great job Babz. APpreacited here for sure.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Thanks again, Babz!
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
wonder

Post by wonder »

I have the exact same issue. I do not think its an OP hardware issue.

When recording MIDI, the sustain will get recorded but not heard. When you stop and playback, it will playback fine (with sustain).

I have tried multiple pedals (even though its not a pedal issue at all).
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Despite anyone's suggestions to the contrary, this is a MIDI controllers issue. That is, it affects all controllers from Mod Wheel to Breath Control to Expression to Sustain and any and all others on the scale from CC0 to CC127.

The starting conditions determine the type of behavior you will see. If you have none of the starting conditions that cause it, you won't see it, but when you begin with those conditions, you'll see it. The conditions are complex, leading people to think they are seeing different problems for different controllers, because we do not use Sustain the way we use, say, Expression or Breath Control. But the underlying problem is the same one. I tested this for a full day, trying every permutation I could come up with, and I was astounded at the complexity of this problem, though I could see how some simple programming oversights would have caused the whole thing.

The key elements are: starting location, existing data, record enabled, event chasing and pre-gen. If any of those things go away, you will either find no problem, or a more intermittent problem. Event chasing seems to be involved, but not a primary source of the problem. Turn pre-gen off and there is no problem. Remove existing data and there is no problem. Start a few beats before the data, and either there is no problem, or the problem changes shape.

Sustain works differently than Expression, so the nature of the problem seems different, but it goes back to the same roots.

There are no hardware issues involved that I know of.
MIDI Monitor is unable to track this problem. In MIDI Monitor, the MIDI appears clean and identical no matter what you do, although on ONE occasion I managed to trap a bunch of MIDI that seemed to emerge all at once, and which may have explained the behavior. But it happened only once, and if I recall correctly, it happened on a try in which there were no misbehaviors present in the actual playback. This is a mystery, but I'm sure it's all explainable.

Shooshie
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I think that it's worth restating that MOTU is aware of the problem, and also revisiting Babz and Shooshie's excellent detective work in this thread which contains a lot of great information, and, unfortunately some noise.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
towerproductions

Post by towerproductions »

Babz wrote:
cuttime wrote:
Babz wrote: I have not used the "Clear" button. Try it the way I have been doing it. Everything is checked except for the "All" box next to Controllers.
I don't see any way to do that. Perhaps I'm being dense, but if I select "All Except" or "Only" it defaults back to "All" when I reopen the window. I can't directly untick the "All" button.
All I did was open the Event Chasing window. Everything was already checked and I clicked to uncheck Contollers button. "All" button remains checked. Sorry, I was misstating it before. It's the Contollers box. This box unchecked. This is what I mean by "event chasing off". (I have not touched the buttons below.)
Like this:

That did help some of the time with event chasing controllers unchecked however i found sometimes if I go to the beginning of the track and hit record overwriting the MIDI data that was already there I would get the same problem with the sustain not working . If i punched in later in the track the sustain would work fine with the event chasing unchecked .
DP11.1, Mac Pro 3.33 / 12-core, 96GB RAM, Mac OS 10.14.6
2 MOTU 2408 mk3s Black Lion mod, , UA Apollo Quad, UAD 2 Octo PCIe,
a bunch of EW Play,Opus, Spitfire, Sine,UVI, Kontakt Komplete Ultimate, VE Pro 7, Falcon, DSP Quattro, AmpliTube 5,and way too many others.
jacey714

Post by jacey714 »

Seems like this problem was addressed in the new DP 9.12 update~ Gonna try it out later today~ Has anyone tried it yet?

J
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Lots of people have and are reporting the problem is fixed. Someone should add SOLVED to the title of this thread.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
dmarianelli

Re: DP 9.1 sustain pedal not audible during recording - RESO

Post by dmarianelli »

Unfortunately, the sustain pedal problem is not resolved. I am still experiencing the CC64 issue with DP 9.12
amplidood

Re: DP 9.1 sustain pedal not audible during recording - RESO

Post by amplidood »

I still haven't left 9.02 because of the mess that 9.1 became.