DP 9.1 sustain pedal not audible during recording

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9.1 sustain pedal not audible during recording - RESO

Post by HCMarkus »

Still having this problem under 9.13 latest Sierra.

Using Yamaha controller with Yamaha's latest USB MIDI Driver. I tried removing all MIDI Drivers from Library>Audio to no avail. I have tried all permutations of controller chasing.

I have established a Techlink with MOTU. With others reporting this fixed, I am hoping MOTU can help me find the ghost in my machine. Anyone have any suggestions?
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

I have run across one other user experiencing this, but I have just tested extensively in 9.12 and 9.13 and I was unable to produce the problem. What MIDI keyboard are you using?
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Thanks for checkin in Babs... running a Yamaha S90ES, connected via USB. Latest Yamaha driver, current macOS (10.12.4) and DP9.13. MOTU has promised to get back to me on this, too.

I have not tried using the MIDI i/o, and probably should. I have tried just about everything else, including a removal and clean install of DP9.12 as well as an empty project. I'll try using the MIDI i/o and report back.

Thanks again!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Just tried MIDI i/o via my MOTU 828mkII... no difference in behavior.

This issue seems to reside within the DP code; Using either USB or MIDI connections, VIs in DP respond perfectly to my performance until I punch in on a previously-recorded track at which time the sustain pedal ceases to function until the previously recorded data has been overwritten completely. Note that I can record on a second MIDI track routed to the same VI without experiencing this.

Frustrating, especially since this behavior appears to have been fixed for most. For me most definitely NOT resolved!

Wondering if the fact I have DP8.07 and DP9.02 sitting in my Applications folder could have anything to do with this. I know many here at MOTUNation have kept the older versions of DP around on their system drives. Anyone care to confirm that the sustain function is working properly on a system with old versions of DP on board? Thanks!
HC Markus
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

HCMarkus wrote:Just tried MIDI i/o via my MOTU 828mkII... no difference in behavior.

This issue seems to reside within the DP code; Using either USB or MIDI connections, VIs in DP respond perfectly to my performance until I punch in on a previously-recorded track at which time the sustain pedal ceases to function until the previously recorded data has been overwritten completely. Note that I can record on a second MIDI track routed to the same VI without experiencing this.

Frustrating, especially since this behavior appears to have been fixed for most. For me most definitely NOT resolved!

Wondering if the fact I have DP8.07 and DP9.02 sitting in my Applications folder could have anything to do with this. I know many here at MOTUNation have kept the older versions of DP around on their system drives. Anyone care to confirm that the sustain function is working properly on a system with old versions of DP on board? Thanks!
I have both DP 8.07 and DP 9.02 (and DP 9.12) residing in my Applications folder. They were renamed before I installed the updates thus: "Digital Performer_807; Digital Performer_902; Digital Performer_912". So I doubt that has anything to do with it.

But it's got to be something. I had this problem back in August, reported it to MOTU, they replicated it, released an update, and I've not had it since. Yet some users seem to be getting it again, or it never went away for them. Dave Hearn and I have been working on trying to resolve this on the MOTU Digital Performer Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/31959118409/

You might want to check in there, so you can see what we've tried and weigh in. We're trying to figure out what is different between our systems. As of yesterday, he was going to try switching to a different MIDI controller. He'd been using a Kurzweil and is going to try an Arturia KeyLab. Haven't gotten any report from him yet on that.

FWIW, I am using a MTP-AV with 5-pin MIDI. I believe I have the latest MOTU driver for it, but don't know how to check that.

One other thing that just occurred to me... Are you using USB 3 ports on your computer? I have my MTP-AV going into a USB-2 hub, then into the USB-3 port on the Mac. I have done this ever since the early days of USB-3 where there were major MIDI problems with USB-3 (not necessarily cc64, but other major issues) and MOTU recommended the hub (which solved the problems). I don't know if the issues of USB-3 and MIDI have since been resolved (it was happening for a lot of MIDI devices, not just MOTU). I would hope it isn't an issue after all this time, but I've kept the USB-2 hub in place. My point is: There must be something different between my setup (not getting the cc64 issue) and yours and Dave's (ARE getting the cc64 issue). And maybe USB-2 vs. USB-3 might be the one difference between our set ups... I need to check with Dave about it.

Babz
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Babz wrote:I have both DP 8.07 and DP 9.02 (and DP 9.12) residing in my Applications folder. They were renamed before I installed the updates thus: "Digital Performer_807; Digital Performer_902; Digital Performer_912". So I doubt that has anything to do with it.

But it's got to be something. I had this problem back in August, reported it to MOTU, they replicated it, released an update, and I've not had it since. Yet some users seem to be getting it again, or it never went away for them. Dave Hearn and I have been working on trying to resolve this on the MOTU Digital Performer Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/31959118409/

You might want to check in there, so you can see what we've tried and weigh in. We're trying to figure out what is different between our systems. As of yesterday, he was going to try switching to a different MIDI controller. He'd been using a Kurzweil and is going to try an Arturia KeyLab. Haven't gotten any report from him yet on that.

FWIW, I am using a MTP-AV with 5-pin MIDI. I believe I have the latest MOTU driver for it, but don't know how to check that.

One other thing that just occurred to me... Are you using USB 3 ports on your computer? I have my MTP-AV going into a USB-2 hub, then into the USB-3 port on the Mac. I have done this ever since the early days of USB-3 where there were major MIDI problems with USB-3 (not necessarily cc64, but other major issues) and MOTU recommended the hub (which solved the problems). I don't know if the issues of USB-3 and MIDI have since been resolved (it was happening for a lot of MIDI devices, not just MOTU). I would hope it isn't an issue after all this time, but I've kept the USB-2 hub in place. My point is: There must be something different between my setup (not getting the cc64 issue) and yours and Dave's (ARE getting the cc64 issue). And maybe USB-2 vs. USB-3 might be the one difference between our set ups... I need to check with Dave about it.

Babz
I am all USB2 on my Mac Pro. I can't imagine this issue is caused by a controller, as cc64 works fine except when DP is in the state of recording over MIDI data. Even then, the cc64 messages are properly recorded and work perfectly on playback; they just are not passed on to the VI while recording.

One thing I don't think i have tried is updating the MOTU 828mkII driver software; your response prompts me to do so. I'll check out Facebook, too.

EDIT: Drivers were current; I reinstalled, just to be sure. No difference; problem still present in 9.13.

Also, re-checked 9.02. This bothersome behavior IS NOT PRESENT in 9.02 on my system.

Thanks Babz!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

MOTU has acknowledged and confirmed reproducibility of the cc64 bug. No word on when a fix will be available.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

HCMarkus wrote:MOTU has acknowledged and confirmed reproducibility of the cc64 bug. No word on when a fix will be available.
Wow. Any idea how they reproduced it? I would love to see it in action.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

cuttime wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:MOTU has acknowledged and confirmed reproducibility of the cc64 bug. No word on when a fix will be available.
Wow. Any idea how they reproduced it? I would love to see it in action.
Unfortunately that's all I know.
HC Markus
charnach

Post by charnach »

I had this problem earlier in the year. It was acknowledged by MOTU and seemed to get fixed with a new release (9.12 maybe?) but now it's back again with the same symptoms as before. If anyone is using a version in which this doesn't occur please let me know!
2018 MBP, OS 11.6.2 Big Sur, 32 GB ram, MOTU Ultralite MK3
http://www.charles-harnach.com
http://www.nashvillemastertracks.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Waiting for MOTU to fix... latest build 9.13 still exhibits the issue.
Yiannis

Post by Yiannis »

After a lot of effort I managed to make damper pedal work again.

It was not DP 9.13 but a parameter in my Korg Kronos 2.

"Enable control change"

:wink:
-----------------------------------------

I am a very happy DAD.

MacPro 3.33Ghz 6core-32g Ram-10T HDs-10.12.6-Dp-10.0.1.
Korg Kronos 2-Korg Pa4X-Ensonic TS 10-Korg T3-Yamaha Dx 7iiFD-Akai S3000xl-Roland JV 2080
Genelec 1031A with KRK 10S sub-Yamaha NS10m
ULN-2..Tubetech Lca2B-Avalon 737sp-HEDD 192-Lexicon PCM 90.
Soundcraft Sapphyre 28ch
taka

Post by taka »

Sorry if someone mentioned this already earlier, but enabling 'Controllers' and 'all' (or 'only and manually add controllers you need) in Input Filter seems to get the cc64 to work--

Taka*
DP11.3, OS 13.6.3, Mac Mini 2018 6 core 3.2GHz i7 32GB RAM
Slate, Waves, Soundtoys, GRM Tools, Audio Ease etc etc..
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

taka wrote:Sorry if someone mentioned this already earlier, but enabling 'Controllers' and 'all' (or 'only and manually add controllers you need) in Input Filter seems to get the cc64 to work-- Taka*
Thanks Taka, but that's not the issue here... CC64 works perfectly while recording the first pass on a MIDI track but, when one attempts to record over existing MIDI data on the same track, the CC64 is recorded but does not pass thru to the MIDI destination while recording until the last note previously recorded has been passed. On playback, the CC64 data works perfectly. Strange, but true. And annoying.

9.02 does not exhibit this behavior.

Not a word from MOTU on this since my last exchange.
HCMarkus

Re: DP 9.5 sustain pedal not audible during recording

Post by HCMarkus »

My Tech Link Update to MOTU this evening:
Happy to get 9.5 and excited to use the new pitch/time tools. Thank you!

However, very sad to advise the CC64 bug is still present in 9.5. Please advise if any attention can be given. Thank you.
HC Markus