DP 9.1 sustain pedal not audible during recording

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
charnach
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9.1 sustain pedal not audible during recording

Post by charnach »

dix wrote:
cuttime wrote:I haven't had time to investigate this completely, and I duplicated the problem exactly once, but does anyone know if it makes any difference if the plug is in pre-gen or not? Also, what plug are you using? When I encountered this I was using Kontakt in pre-gen mode.
Pre-gen can't be turned off in 9.1.
This from the 9.1 "Read Me" file:

"If you would like a plug-in or virtual instrument to run in real time only while its window is open (to improve level meter timing in the plug-in window for example), go to the mini- menu and choose "Run Open Instances of This Plug-in in Real Time". Close the window to return to Pre-gen mode (or uncheck the menu item). This setting applies globally to all instances of that plug-in and is saved globally."

In either case, this has not solved my problem with the sustain.
2018 MBP, OS 11.6.2 Big Sur, 32 GB ram, MOTU Ultralite MK3
http://www.charles-harnach.com
http://www.nashvillemastertracks.com
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

See my reply to a similar sustain pedal issue in this thread -
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=62126&p=529393#p529393

As I said in that thread, try disabling Event Chasing, it's under the DP "Setup" window.

Also, try another sustain pedal. Those M-Audio sustain pedals are poorly built, as a keyboard tech for major tours I've had nothing but problems with them. I recommed a Yamaha FC-4, those are reliable.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
charnach

Post by charnach »

Hey everyone, this is NOT a sustain pedal hardware issue!

DP 9.1 records and plays back the sustain controller #64 info just fine, and that can be verified in any of the view modes. The sustain pedal does not affect the sound during the record process. You can open up a view window and see the controller info as it is being recorded - it just has no affect on the sound until played back, and then all is as it should be.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Why would patch thru not pass Controller 64? Maybe all controllers are turned off somewhere in Patch Thru. Maybe there's a setting somewhere. I mean, this would be new, of course, but I can't think of anything that would normally change it.

Still, it's worth going through the prefs and settings again to see if something clicks. I have a feeling, though, that someone messed up something in programming.

WHY? I ask... WHY did that get past the beta testers? Who the hell is testing this stuff? I'm getting a little mad now.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Shooshie wrote: WHY? I ask... WHY did that get past the beta testers? Who the hell is testing this stuff? I'm getting a little mad now.

Shoosh
I do seem to recall a similar argument and emotional tone represented by a certain member here, one not unlike me at all. Opinionated guy, thinks he’s “too hip”...lol
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Shooshie wrote:Who the hell is testing this stuff?

Shoosh
I know... but I won't tell you!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

toodamnhip wrote:
Shooshie wrote: WHY? I ask... WHY did that get past the beta testers? Who the hell is testing this stuff? I'm getting a little mad now.

Shoosh
I do seem to recall a similar argument and emotional tone represented by a certain member here, one not unlike me at all. Opinionated guy, thinks he’s “too hip”...lol
You're too damn hip, and DP9.1 is too damn sexy for its shirt. I'm too damn frustrated for my face.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Shooshie wrote:
WHY? I ask... WHY did that get past the beta tester? Who the hell is testing this stuff? I'm getting a little mad now.

Shoosh
Fixd :D
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
charnach

Post by charnach »

I've started a ticket with MOTU (maybe someone else has done this as well) - we'll see what happens.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Shooshie wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:

Shoosh
You're too damn hip, and DP9.1 is too damn sexy for its shirt. I'm too damn frustrated for my face.

Shoosh
Oh dude,, you really made me laugh at loud sitting in a room by myself. I don't feel hip at all now! Lol. "Too frustrated for my face". Excellent!
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Just spent two hours recording piano VI's in DP 9.1, using plenty of sustain pedalling.
Tried at buffer of 512, 256, 128. VI's I used were Pianoteq, e-Instruments Session Keys Electric
R, and Sonic Couture's Broken Wurli and Deconstructed 73 Rhodes running in Kontakt 5.

ZERO issues. I am not seeing anything like the problem the OP stated.

Has anyone tried disabling Event Chasing as I suggested? I really believe this could be an issue
with Event Chasing.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

This is clearly not a problem with DP, because it's not happening any place else. Take a deep breath and a cup of mild tea before you "get mad;" this didn't slip by the testers.

I don't know how you can expect any software as complex as a DAW or photo editing program or an animation platform to EVER get tested so deeply that nobody has a problem with it.

But in this case, there's something wrong with OP's set-up, not with DP. This isn't happening on my rig, either.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I can reproduce this problem about 50% of the time using a Yamaha FC4 sustain pedal. The inconsistency is really frustrating. What is a stumper is that it is with pre-gen either on or off. I have event chasing off. I'm using a piano in Kontakt. I've gone through all of the DP patch thru settings and nothing seems to affect it either way. Charnach, please let us know if you hear back from MOTU on this. Going back over the posts, I can see at least 4 other people who have encountered this problem.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

I also cannot reproduce this problem, and I am using a Yamaha FC.

Tell me the exact steps needed to produce the problem. Don't leave anything out, including what VI to test with.

Best,
Babz
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I'm not having this problem at all.

I'm using an M-Audio pedal and my event chasing is all on.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.