DP 9.1 notes cutting out when toggling record

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 9.1 notes cutting out when toggling record

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

This is new to DP 9.1. When I have a MIDI track playing back and I toggle or move the record selector in the TO the playback notes cut out. I noticed this immediately when I started work tonight for the first time in the update. 9.01 didn't do that and I could playback and move the record selection from track to track w/o any problem in playback.

MOTU must face... ;)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
waxman

Re: DP 9.1 notes cutting out when toggling record

Post by waxman »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:This is new to DP 9.1. When I have a MIDI track playing back and I toggle or move the record selector in the TO the playback notes cut out. I noticed this immediately when I started work tonight for the first time in the update. 9.01 didn't do that and I could playback and move the record selection from track to track w/o any problem in playback.

MOTU must face... ;)
Also cuts out on loop play if you turn loop on or off while in loop region. just sayin' your creepy face lookin' down on me... creepy
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
MIDI Life Crisis

Actually my creepy face is looking down on my creepy comments... :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Actually they're looking at your creepy sig line. :lol:

It makes sense that the MIDI/VI would make a hiccup when record enable was changed. It always did that with audio, right? Their new audio system apparently gives latency preference to the record enabled track for VIs. I'm really thinking that's the only way I'm getting this performance.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

Killahurts wrote:Actually they're looking at your creepy sig line. :lol:

It makes sense that the MIDI/VI would make a hiccup when record enable was changed. It always did that with audio, right? Their new audio system apparently gives latency preference to the record enabled track for VIs. I'm really thinking that's the only way I'm getting this performance.
Yeah, that occurred to me. Whatever is helping with latency compensation may require loading stuff into a buffer to increase the performance.

As for my avatar, I'm trying to set him up with Nazimova... There's magic in their eyes.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
DanielCoe

Post by DanielCoe »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:This is new to DP 9.1. When I have a MIDI track playing back and I toggle or move the record selector in the TO the playback notes cut out. I noticed this immediately when I started work tonight for the first time in the update. 9.01 didn't do that and I could playback and move the record selection from track to track w/o any problem in playback.

MOTU must face... ;)
I've got this too. In my big template there is a NINE SECOND delay between when I record enable a MIDI track aiming at a DIFFERENT plug-in than the one that is currently record enabled. There is no issue when record-enabling different MIDI tracks pointing at different channels of the SAME instance. I have no playback issues. All tracks play properly.

In a fresh test project I created two instances of Kontakt, two of PLAY, and two of VEP pro. The delay/hiccup is only milliseconds in this tiny project, but it occurs in a variety of combinations, such as when going from one Kontakt instance to another Kontakt instance or from Kontakt to PLAY, or vise versa. It is slightly less anytime going TO a VEP instance from a non-VEP VI. Also interestingly regarding going to VEP from a non-VEP VI, the delay is as small in my large template as it is in this small test project. Notably, there is no perceivable delay when going between the two VEP instances in my template project or this test project.

Also, for a while (it has since stopped) when going to one of the Play instances EACH of the channels would play (i.e. channel 1 & 2 sounds would both sound, though only channel 2 was enabled).

When the lag is 9 seconds in the big template it reminds me of when I would use VEP without decoupling, and every few minutes, when DP auto-saved, the beach ball would pop up for what seemed like an eternity.

PLEASE HELP, MOTU!!
Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
128GB RAM
MOTU 2408 mk3
Mac OS 10.14.6
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Are you guys toggling record-enable between
tracks while the transport is running?

I've said it before..this is like changing a tire
while the car is moving. If it worked "before",
I think you just lucked out. I would never
do this while the transport is running.

Like the old joke where the patient says
"Doc, it hurts when I move my arm" and the
doctor replies, "then dont move your arm".
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
DanielCoe

Post by DanielCoe »

David Polich wrote:Are you guys toggling record-enable between
This is not an issue of the transport running. When the transport is stopped this is an issue. Upon playback, any recorded MIDI notes play just fine, and yes, there is the same lag when record-enabling different tracks just like when transport is stopped.
Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
128GB RAM
MOTU 2408 mk3
Mac OS 10.14.6
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

David Polich wrote:Are you guys toggling record-enable between

I've said it before..this is like changing a tire
while the car is moving. If it worked "before",
I think you just lucked out. I would never
do this while the transport is running.

Like the old joke where the patient says
"Doc, it hurts when I move my arm" and the
doctor replies, "then dont move your arm".
Well, it's one of those things that USED to work, but it was long ago, before "Pre-Gen." It stands to reason that if you're playing back tracks in pre-gen mode, then you switch one of them to record, you've just changed that track from a pre-recorded track to a live track, so it would be very hard to switch without some kind of gap, pop, or interruption. Even recently there were ways around it, like turning off pre-gen, but that's not so easily done now.

So... I've no trouble believing that it does not work anymore.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|