Headphones while Recording

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Dougie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Headphones while Recording

Post by Dougie »

Hello, all.

When I'm recording an instrument that uses a direct line into to my interface (e.g. a synth), I can hear it in the headphones while I am recording. But when it's a mic (e.g. vocals or acoustic guitar), the signal is NOT in the headphones. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Headphones while Recording

Post by stubbsonic »

Depending on what kind of interface, you can often set it up to "direct monitor" so that you are hearing the signal from your interface before it is delayed by the buffer in DP. That's usually ideal. Look at your interfaces documentation to set up the way it monitors inputs and routes signals.

If that latency (delay) doesn't matter much to you, you can set it up to monitor through DP by using the little input monitoring functions (e.g., clicking the little speaker icon next to the track in the Tracks Overview window, etc.).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com