Notes not displayed in Pitch view

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
edurbrow@sea.plala.or.jp
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Notes not displayed in Pitch view

Post by edurbrow@sea.plala.or.jp »

I'm using v.7.24
I can't figure out why I don't see the notes in pitch view.

I can't see how to upload a screenshot, but take my word for it, scrolling or zooming doesn't bring up any notes.

TIA
Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan
Shooshie

Re: Notes not displayed in Pitch view

Post by Shooshie »

On the left side of the graphic editor window, between the "staves" and the track name/button area, you'll see a very small slider. This scrolls the pitch so that you can see it. If your vertical zoom and window are large enough, you'll see actual pitch names. Scroll that. You'll find the pitches. It varies, depending on the range, but it's impossible to show all the pitches at once in such a narrow space, so scrolling is necessary. If you open the window very tall, you can show all the pitches at once.

Other hints for Pitch View:
1) Open window as tall as you can without making it difficult to move around
2) when you work on pitch, zoom the track horizontally so that the nuances of pitch are distinguishable.
3) If you don't see as many "bars" of pitch as you expect to see, zoom horizontally and use the Scissors Tool to cut the bar where you think the pitch changes. Usually you'll see a big jump in the pitch of the part you cut.
4) You can copy/paste pitches from one track to another. This takes some practice, so use the UNDO command until you get it as you want it. This enables you to do things like copy a nice vibrato from one spot to another, or to get two tracks, recorded from different microphones, to agree in pitch if you have to work on them.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
edurbrow@sea.plala.or.jp

Re: Notes not displayed in Pitch view

Post by edurbrow@sea.plala.or.jp »

Thank you very much. There was something fishy yesterday. The pitches just weren't there. They are there when I open it today. I checked the screen shot from yesterday and set it up my screen today exactly the same. If they were there yesterday, I would have seen them. Just one of those occasional anomalies, I suppose. I should have rebooted before I posted. It had been a while since I had used that, so I thought I had forgotten something.
Thank you. I'll keep your post as a reference to make sure.
cheers,
Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan