Take number snafu

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Robert Randolph
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Take number snafu

Post by Robert Randolph »

Shooshie wrote:I'd be very interested to know if clearing the prefs is a solution for that. They've given me that reply to some tech-links, and I know it's NOT the answer for those particular questions, so I get the feeling that "clear preferences" is one of those catch-all answers like "be sure your unit is plugged in," or "repair permissions," or "reset the PRAM." (or NVRAM, these days) I actually got that response from Apple when I called yesterday about replacing the GPU. Guy wanted me to do the PRAM routine, but I had to remind him that I was sitting there holding the GPU in my hand, and there weren't going to be any PRAM blasts until I got that thing put back together. He referred me to two local private contractors who were equally helpful, which is to say, not at all. Thank goodness for Amazon. (I ordered the GPU, got it today and put it in. End of story.

So, if clearing the preferences actually helps, I'd like to know.

Shooshie
To be fair, I think the 'clear preferences' routine is more to make sure that the tech and the user are on the same page, not that it will fix the issue necessarily

It encourages a common base for the communication to proceed upon... there's just an occasional side-benefit of it actually fixing issues. :dance:
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Robert Randolph wrote:To be fair, I think the 'clear preferences' routine is more to make sure that the tech and the user are on the same page, not that it will fix the issue necessarily

It encourages a common base for the communication to proceed upon... there's just an occasional side-benefit of it actually fixing issues. :dance:
It's a lot to ask for that. I guess there are things that require more effort, but I have to go through my preferences carefully in order to do that, making sure I don't discard window sets, commands, and other things that have evolved over years and would be a problem to have to recreate.

I've often removed the prefs folder to the desktop of the Finder, for later restoration, but it's never yielded any practical benefit.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Well, I deleted prefs AND re-installed DP. So if it solved the problem, I can't say for certain which action was responsible. I recorded several drum tracks yesterday afternoon (with multiple takes) and it went without a hitch. This was, however, an intermittent problem to begin with so I can't say for certain that it's resolved. I still have lots of recording to do on this project, so the jury is still out.

In terms of deleting important prefs, it's not a problem on this machine. My studio has two areas with two different installations of DP, one for tracking and one for mixing. The tracking machine has pretty much the default DP settings with a few tweaks that are easy to get back to. It's the tracking Mac that had the problem. If it had been at my mixing DAW, that would have been another ballgame.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.