Take number snafu

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Take number snafu

Post by Phil O »

Was recording some drum takes yesterday and ran into a strange one. Close mic'd drums with 6 mono tracks all grouped. I was recording with cycle record (memory cycle and overdub selected). Six takes.
All tracks except #2 had the following take numbers:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (as expected)
Track #2 had the following.
1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4
What the heck?
I renamed the takes appropriately and moved on. Later in the day it did it again on another project file, this time on track #5. :shock:

I think this may be the first time I've used this feature since updating to 9.02. Bug? Dunno. Anyone else seen this sort of thing?

Have submitted a tech link.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Shooshie

Re: Take number snafu

Post by Shooshie »

Weird. It's almost as if, starting on take 2, it decided to record mono channels to stereo tracks. If you look at take 2 of track 2, does it still show up as mono? (I'm sure it does. I'm just inventing possibilities with almost no chance of existing.) I have no explanation of that. I wonder if MOTU would benefit from studying that file.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Yeah, all mono tracks. With the holiday weekend, it will probably be a while before I hear from MOTU. I'll post back when I hear from them. Happy 4th!!

Philippe
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

3, 3, 3; that's a new one. I get weird results if I've deleted takes, or add a track to a group that already has multiple takes, but never a sequential series. I think I've seen multiple 3's if and when I deleted takes 1 and 2, leaving 3 and 4, the next take might get called 3 again.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

EMRR wrote:3, 3, 3; that's a new one. I get weird results if I've deleted takes, or add a track to a group that already has multiple takes, but never a sequential series. I think I've seen multiple 3's if and when I deleted takes 1 and 2, leaving 3 and 4, the next take might get called 3 again.
Yes, I see that one periodically. I guess if you recorded takes and deleted them, then recorded more, deleting certain ones in a certain sequence, it could cause what Phil described. Not sure if he did anything like that, but it's one explanation.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I have noticed that you could manually rename takes to the same name and there is no blockage that stops you doing this - so it doesn't surprise me that automatic new takes sometimes have idiosyncratic numbering. I am not bothered as long my takes actually record (and I usually rename with some identity as to quality and discard the non keepers asap). But this could be a symptom of the bug.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Yes....I usually manual renumber at some point.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Shooshie wrote:...Not sure if he did anything like that, but it's one explanation.
No, that wasn't the case. The strangest part is that all tracks were grouped and all but one named sequentially. I should have saved a copy of the file, but the takes have since been renamed and comped, etc. So if MOTU wants the file, they'll have to dig way back in history to locate the occurrence (if it's even still there). Sometimes work takes precedence over troubleshooting.

Philippe
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

So I've recorded about 100 6-track takes now trying to make this happen. New projects, existing projects and a few other things.

I can only seem to make it happen if I change the name of a soundbite or track, in which case I'm not sure if you could consider it a bug?

Any other clues maybe?
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Got a response from MOTU which basically said this sounded like a unique case and recommended deleting preferences and a reinstall of DP. I'll be doing that some time today. If they've never heard of this before and no one here has confirmed this, I'm fairly confident that the problem is at my end. I still have about nine songs to do, so I'll have plenty of opportunity to test the re-install. I will post the results when I get there.

Thanks to all for your responses.

Phil
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Phil O wrote:Got a response from MOTU which basically said this sounded like a unique case and recommended deleting preferences and a reinstall of DP. I'll be doing that some time today. If they've never heard of this before and no one here has confirmed this, I'm fairly confident that the problem is at my end. I still have about nine songs to do, so I'll have plenty of opportunity to test the re-install. I will post the results when I get there.

Thanks to all for your responses.

Phil
It's actually happened to me, Also sometimes the last soundfile is placed in the wrong place with the wrong time stamp....

Its why I rarely ever use that feature...

PS it's happened on DP 6 and 7...

I haven't tried 9 as I'm still waiting on the update to install it at the studio.........Taps foot :(
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Swell. :cry:

Well I'll just have to see what happens.

Thanks K.
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Phil O wrote:Swell. :cry:

Well I'll just have to see what happens.

Thanks K.
Interesting that you are the only other person I've heard that has it.

DO you use a FW or USB interface by any chance?
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

FW on an Apogee Rosetta 800.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I'd be very interested to know if clearing the prefs is a solution for that. They've given me that reply to some tech-links, and I know it's NOT the answer for those particular questions, so I get the feeling that "clear preferences" is one of those catch-all answers like "be sure your unit is plugged in," or "repair permissions," or "reset the PRAM." (or NVRAM, these days) I actually got that response from Apple when I called yesterday about replacing the GPU. Guy wanted me to do the PRAM routine, but I had to remind him that I was sitting there holding the GPU in my hand, and there weren't going to be any PRAM blasts until I got that thing put back together. He referred me to two local private contractors who were equally helpful, which is to say, not at all. Thank goodness for Amazon. (I ordered the GPU, got it today and put it in. End of story.

So, if clearing the preferences actually helps, I'd like to know.

Shooshie