MW Equalizer bug?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
stringtheory
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MW Equalizer bug?

Post by stringtheory »

i have a track with an instance of MW eq, plus a few other plugs. the mw eq is in Insert B, Insert A is empty. there is bypass automation info for the mw eq in the track, in the drop-down for viewing automation in the SE, i see "Insert B: MW Equalizer [Bypass]" as i should. BUT: if i add another instance of MW EQ into Slot A, the bypass automation moves to that slot! by itself! in other words, if i go back to the drop-down menu i see "Insert A: MW Equalizer [Bypass]" on the layer. if i select any other plugin for Slot A, that does not happen.

submitting a tech link...
27" iMac 4.0GHz (late 2015), 32G RAM, OSX 10.13.6, DP10.01, UAD Apollo Duo TB, MTPAV USB (also 2021 14" MBP M1 Pro, 32G RAM, Apollo Twin Duo TB)
stringtheory

Re: MW Equalizer bug?

Post by stringtheory »

tech link submitted - already got a reply that they can reproduce this with a number of plugs, it has been referred onwards and is "in progress."
27" iMac 4.0GHz (late 2015), 32G RAM, OSX 10.13.6, DP10.01, UAD Apollo Duo TB, MTPAV USB (also 2021 14" MBP M1 Pro, 32G RAM, Apollo Twin Duo TB)
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Thanks for the heads-up ST. I haven't looked at the new bug report thread lately, but if it's still active you might want to post this over there. No one can debate bugs confirmed by MOTU.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

I was about to add a bug report thread for this, but it would be helpful if stringtheory could add one.

I'm not exactly sure how to describe this exactly, but it's clearly an issue.
sjn

Post by sjn »

I am seeing this problem with MW EQ in DP 8.0.7 too - so it's been around for a while.

I also see it with Waves MondoMod (and from what I read on a much earlier thread, lots of other plugs exhibit it too)

But I found a simple workaround that might help if your system isn't already maxed out: If you can run the problematic instances in 'real-time' (i.e. selected in those particular effects' mini-menus), bypass automation seems to work fine again. Working so far, anyway.....

Steven
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

I've experienced this with Waves plug-ins, but not with native MOTU plugs. I found that creating a new sequence solved it, so you might want to try that.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

I am having problems with MANY DP (and other) plug-ins - as far as their Bypass status is displayed. In the event list window, moves I make to bypass/enable ARE displayed - but the red Bypass indicator in the upper right hand corner of the plug-in does not change - ever. And the Insert Effect's name in the Mixer Window also does not reliably change from Italic (bypassed) to non-Italic (enabled).
I've just noticed this with the 2nd 9.13 update, though I'm not 100% certain that's when the aberrant behavior began.
It happens with Floating selected or not, and also with Real-Time selected or not.
I have checked my Automation Setup and Event Chasing settings, and they are set to ALL on.
I have checked with a completely new Sequence, since I first noted the 'bug' in a fairly elaborate and long one of mine.
Some of the plug-ins that exhibit this are MW Equalizer (DP) and AC30 (DP). Also PlugIn Alliance's De-Verb Plus, though that seems more intermittent, and in the Event List Window, sometimes the Bypass status is just 0 or 1, and not listed as "Bypassed" or "Enabled."
I almost began this as a new thread, but thought it better to append it to an existing one. I hope this is the proper way to do this. :banghead:
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

tommymandel wrote:I am having problems with MANY DP (and other) plug-ins - as far as their Bypass status is displayed. In the event list window, moves I make to bypass/enable ARE displayed - but the red Bypass indicator in the upper right hand corner of the plug-in does not change - ever. And the Insert Effect's name in the Mixer Window also does not reliably change from Italic (bypassed) to non-Italic (enabled).
I see this all the time, and it REALLY irritates me!

And this has been going on for a while already. I can't believe MOTU doesn't fix all these old bugs :shake:

Oh, and and 85% of the time, the Bypass automation in plug-ins, even MOTU's own plugs, will NOT work.
But sometimes it does, with no discernible pattern, which makes it totally unreliable.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

FWIW: I was experiencing this quite a lot, especially when trying to automate plugin bypass. After some testing (including trying in new sequences and a test user account, where bypass worked fine), MOTU tech support suggested creating a new user account. Once I started in on that and realized what was involved, I decided to go one step further and wiped my HD and did a clean install of everything from the OS up. Since then, no problems (so far).

I'm guessing it might be a corrupted prefs or support file, or maybe something deep in the OS… but that's just a wild guess.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

Thanks, Rick, for pointing me in a potentially fixit direction, although I'm not really ready to go back that far yet LOL. And thanks FM, for convincing me (at least for this morning) that I'm not totally bonkers.
MotuNation Rocks! (so thanks, James, too!)
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If a clean install fixed this, then Console.app should be able to help diagnose the offending library or extension.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stringtheory

Post by stringtheory »

i just reported this to MOTU a couple days ago: i noticed that the de-esser plug was not indicating it's status correctly. it was functioning correctly but the bypass button was not indicating properly. confusing. they said "I've seen this before and have brought it to the attention of our engineers" and "This is definitely a strange issue. I'll give this a bump to our engineers and will let you know if it will be fixed in a future update."
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Just had something happen with bypass automation the other day. I set an automation point to un-bypass a delay a few seconds before the next vocal line but it would kick on midway through the line at a random point each time. Had to split those lines out to a separate track to get around it. DP 8.07 in my case.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

I just remembered one more tidbit that may be of use as a workaround: I was automating plugin bypass from the Events List. When no bypass control for a plug appeared there, sometimes I could access it from the Sequence Editor.
Rick Cornish