Tab activating search field is drivning me NUTS

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
amplidood
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Tab activating search field is drivning me NUTS

Post by amplidood »

I used the tab key on my laptop for a couple critical uses in DP, and ever since they added the track search function that is activated by the tab key I have been losing my mind. I never need to search for tracks like that, and there's no way to deactivate it in the Commands window. Please allow us to control this one, guys.
Shooshie

Re: Tab activating search field is drivning me NUTS

Post by Shooshie »

amplidood wrote:I used the tab key on my laptop for a couple critical uses in DP, and ever since they added the track search function that is activated by the tab key I have been losing my mind. I never need to search for tracks like that, and there's no way to deactivate it in the Commands window. Please allow us to control this one, guys.
I've been calling it the Search Field Bug. As far as I'm concerned, it's a bug. This is a dastardly example of poor design or execution.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Re: Tab activating search field is drivning me NUTS

Post by Shooshie »

It might interest everyone to know that even the folks at MOTU had trouble with this one. I think we'll see this one changed very soon! Read the response to my TechLink about it:

MTL 104575 — New Search Field is causing tricky display issues in edit windows
Last edited by Shooshie on 2016/07/05 13:05:48 Universal
  • People are accidentally invoking the Search Field, even when it's invisible. It's a good idea to be able to do so, but only when intended. It should be nearly impossible to invoke accidentally.

When they invoke the search, the next keys they type usually cause all the tracks to disappear. Imagine how frightening this can be! Some may even do drastic things, trying to get it back, which causes them to lose data.

This is scaring people! Some have trouble figuring out what's happening, because the search field is hidden! There is NO WAY this should happen!
Added by Andrew on 2016/07/05 20:03:18 Universal
State change from 'Unread' to 'In progress'
  • Hi again Shooshie,

This is a very good and valid issue you bring up. It is also one that had initially stumped a few of us in the office. We have discussed making changes to this feature and your feedback is very much appreciated. I will be sure to bring this issue up at our future meetings so we can find a better solution.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|