This definitely needs to be fixed. Major DP shortcoming...

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: This definitely needs to be fixed. Major DP shortcoming.

Post by Shooshie »

A few days ago, I sent this in to MOTU as a tech link. It may be a while, but there's a very good chance we'll see this in an update one of these days. I thought you all might like to see the response:

MTL 104576 — Optional "Keep Takes Together When Editing"
  • Since take comping has dramatically increased the utility of takes, many of us believe there should be a preference default option AND a temporary setting in edit window headers to keep takes together. When we have 20 takes, and we want to cut a section out of the song, or move a section elsewhere, it is impractical to edit all the takes the same way. Consequently, it's necessary to do all take comping FIRST, and never to come back to it again. A simple radio button or check box beside the words "keep takes together," first as a default behavior in Preferences, and 2nd as temporary setting in the edit windows, would suit just about everyone.
Responses
Added by Brian_M on 2016/07/08 21:10:39 Universal

State change from 'Unread' to 'In progress'
  • Hi Shooshie,

Thanks for writing. I agree that this would be a great feature, and I see how it would greatly improve productivity. I've forwarded this case to the DP Development Team for consideration in future DP updates.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Nice!

Thank you, Shoosh :)

I can´t wait to see this implemented.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

FMiguelez wrote:Nice!

Thank you, Shoosh :)

I can´t wait to see this implemented.
Don't get your hopes up. You know they're probably near the end of their 9.1 testing. I doubt they'll go back in and add something that big at this stage of development. We probably won't see this until 10.0, or at best 9.5. MOTU, make a liar out of me and get it out with the next release! But I won't hold my breath. It will be great to see it when it does get here.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Is there still no way to include sub takes in edits? The way it stands now, I have to expand out all takes before and edit if I want sub takes to move along with the edits. This cause various problems. I seem to recall a past version of DP having the option to include sub takes in region and other edits? Did they get rid of this feature? Why?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

No. You still have to explode/implode takes for that.

Same issue with folders. They must be opened first.
And yes. I do remember, at least with folders, we used to have an option to include/exclude their contents, around DP7, I think.

Maybe they'll give us better tools to handle this in DP10?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

DP 10?????

Great they charge us 200 bucks for •••• they have broken. Doesn't sound fair to me. Maybe its time to look at ProTools virtual.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Mind the door on you're way out. :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Mind the door on you're way out. :rofl:
What an ****

I have been a DP user before it dealt with audio MLC.
I have paid for every update including 6 that I never used for issue reasons.
The best versions were 3-5. 7, 8 and I happen to like 9.12 but it crashes on me with large projects

Your comment and attitude promotes this veterans reason to consider such a move.

I know Larry Hinds, a great musician who is also a DP veteran, HAS moved and tells me its much better these days than it used to be.

Maybe I'll give it a try as its cheap enough now.

LATER
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
MIDI Life Crisis

Lighten up, man. You need to get a sense of humor. Not all comments are as ad hominem as your "what an ..." comment was. It's called humor. :roll:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Sounded like a typical fanboy expulsion to me.
Maybe you should think twice on how your comments might be interpreted.

I'm not here for the humor or deconstructing satyric comments, I'm here to solve issues that might help me with my ongoing production concerning DP9.
MIDI Life Crisis

Fine. Block me. I'm doing that for you now, so your further comments will not be responded to.

Have at it. :dance:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Thanks, I appreciate. I don't block anyone.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Timeline wrote:DP 10?????

Great they charge us 200 bucks for •••• they have broken. Doesn't sound fair to me. Maybe its time to look at ProTools virtual.
I think the response you got was because this isn't °°°° Motu has "broken:" once again, I feel the need to point out that this ISN'T a bug or an existing feature broken, it's simple an unincorporated feature.

After 5 pages of discussion in support of a simple suggestion, spitting nails at MOTU and threatening go check out another DAW doesn't make sense. Also, as you learned from MLC, nobody cares.

Now, if you want ProTools, knock yourself out. I have two DAWs, too, but you can bet one of them won't ever be that heavy-laden kludge from Avid.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]