Solved - DP 9.02 reverting to several previous undos without

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
primeevolutionary
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Solved - DP 9.02 reverting to several previous undos without

Post by primeevolutionary »

Twice now in the last two days, the project that I was working on reverted to several saves back without and known reason.

The first time was from a save. It didn't keep the last save and went back several saves prior.

The second time was while DP was actually in play mode. It reverted to the same save as the first time even though I had saved several times since then. Even stranger that it happened while playing.

My Mac (OS 10.11.5) did have an unknown restart prior to that and I had not restarted my Mac afterwards.

I just restarted it and went back through and as I was writing this, it happened a third time bring it back to where it did the first time. This time though, I had flushed the undo entries. And the same as the second time, this was in play. I noticed the counter skipped back to start (I do not have this on repeat) and was still playing, but, all of my tracks reverted.

If this wasn't saved, I would have lost everything.

Has anyone heard of this?
Last edited by primeevolutionary on Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macmini9,1 (M1, 2020) 16 GB RAM
MacBookPro15,1 2.6 GHz 6-Core (Intel, 2018) 16 GB RAM
OS X 14.3.1
DP11.3
2 896 mk3 192 kHz Hybrid FW • USB2
Stage-B16
2 828 mk1s
MTPAV USB
Shooshie

Re: DP 9.02 reverting to several previous undos without prod

Post by Shooshie »

Let me get this straight.

1) There was an unknown anomaly with your Mac, and it restarted on its own. (?)
2) You did not restart again, which may have corrected the anomaly, or not. In any case, you were working after an anomaly on the Mac.
  • [Check logs for that anomaly. Maybe you can get some insight into why the Mac restarted and what happened.]
3) While working in DP, you clicked SAVE, but instead of saving your work, it reverted back to several saves prior.
  • [Do you know that everything was lost from the current save, and that everything reverted back? Or did only some things revert back. Are you sure you can tell?]
4) While playing music in DP, it suddenly reverts to a previous version of the file. It continues to play, but uses the previous version.
  • [Are you sure you don't have multiple chunks of the same sequence, each showing different versions, all within the same file? It could be jumping from one chunk to the next, playing an old version that way. You might think it was jumping to a previous save, when it's only jumping to a previous chunk. There are keyboard commands that will jump to other chunks, and if you don't turn them off, DP will set a command for each new chunk you make, so that brushing a key may switch to another chunk. That could explain why it seemed to rewind to the beginning and kept playing. It MAY BE POSSIBLE that hitting the key for the current chunk could have the effect of reloading the chunk, starting from the beginning. I haven't tried that, so I can't say for sure.]
5) When it does this, it still allows you to save, which rescues your work, but the part about jumping to a previous version, then still being able to save your current work makes me further suspect that you've got multiple chunks of the same sequence, and that something is causing you to jump to different chunks.

Tell me if I more or less got the right events. Then tell me if you have multiple versions of the same sequence within the same file. (chunks)

Also, tell me this: when this happens, do tracks disappear, or anything like that? If that's happening, it could also explain the same problem, but with a different solution. You may be tabbing into the Search Field, then typing something that causes it to search for tracks with that string. Finding nothing, or finding one or two things, suddenly all the other tracks go away, with only the tracks visible that match the search string in the track names.

If you do not see the search field, open the Track Selector window or the track selector list (in the left margin within an edit window). At the top of that list or window you'll see the search field. Delete all text in that field to bring back all tracks. The search field problem (not exactly a bug, but certainly a design problem) happens regardless of whether the field is visible or hidden. The TAB key is the culprit. Hit TAB, and the next thing you type starts selecting tracks. If it leaves early tracks visible, you may think you're in a previous version of the file. See how that might work? Your work may still be there, but you just think you're in an older version, because more recent tracks have disappeared.

Ok, I'm shooting in the dark here. Tell me if I hit anything.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Is there a Time Machine backup? Is there a possibility the older files were restored from it? Are the newer files on the backup?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
primeevolutionary

Post by primeevolutionary »

Hello, Shooshie,

4. You, my friend, are a genius. This was it. The key command for my DP is option+C. I'm sure I must have hit that instead of command+C trying to copy something. I had a duplicate chunk that was, duh, several steps previous. The chunks were set to 298 measures by default and, when I left it running, it eventually ran to the next chunk. I'm sure I must have left it running before saving and quitting and didn't notice that it changed chunks.

Thank you for your help. I was really freaked out.
Macmini9,1 (M1, 2020) 16 GB RAM
MacBookPro15,1 2.6 GHz 6-Core (Intel, 2018) 16 GB RAM
OS X 14.3.1
DP11.3
2 896 mk3 192 kHz Hybrid FW • USB2
Stage-B16
2 828 mk1s
MTPAV USB
Shooshie

Re: Solved - DP 9.02 reverting to several previous undos wit

Post by Shooshie »

Wonderful! I'm glad that's sorted. For a moment, I was really scared that this was a new bug we hadn't heard of. Still, there are little traps like that which, if you miss something, can really throw you for a loop.

Since this is resolved, I think I'll post "resolved" in the subject line if you don't mind. [Hey, you already did it! Thanks!]
Happy endings are always nice!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|