How to speed up a mix without changing pitch?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
tonomud
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to speed up a mix without changing pitch?

Post by tonomud »

I have a mix that I need to speed up to about 110% of original speed without changing pitch. I have downloaded a demo of Melodyne 4 Studio as it appears to have this functionality. I have messed with the "tempo" slider to get it to a reasonably-good sounding point, but I can't figure out how to "burn in" from what appears to be the preview mode.

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to accomplish what I want to do, either using Melodyne or some other tool? I am using DP 8, if there's a good way to do it there. I am aware of stretching/compressing a track just edge-dragging in DP to change speed, but doing that seems to give me less control about dialing in a specific speed (like, say, 110% of original) and there seem to be more artifacts present after time-compressing the mix. Perhaps there is a better way to handle this directly in DP that I simply haven't ever used. This is not something that I have ever needed to do on this scale.
iMac 2017 4.2 i7, 32 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.12.6
DP 9.52
Motu 896mk3 hybrid, True Systems Precision 8, Apogee Rosetta 800
mikehalloran

Re: How to speed up a mix without changing pitch?

Post by mikehalloran »

Let's start with your terms. You can't speed up a recording nor can you slow one down. That implies multiplication for the first part and division for the second when the exact opposite is true. You compress or expand the length. This is not my playing with semantics; you need to understand what is going on.

To get "110 %", you divide 100/110 = .91 which is the compression factor that you multiply times the length of your recording to hit your desired target. Simple algebra, yes but that's how you do it.

If you want to slow it down by 10% the formula to expand is this: 100-10=90. 100/90=1.11 times the length of your recording.

Saying that you downloaded Melodyne doesn't tell us anything. Melodyne Editor, Studio or? Not all support time compression. Did you purchase or are you still in demo? Anyway, Celemony has excellent tutorial videos that will get you through this if you downloaded the right product.

DP has artifacts but I don't notice them at +/- 10%. This gets back to my first paragraph.

The go-to tools for time compression/expansion are those by IRCAM. You can buy them separately. They are also found in MOTU's MachFive 3, Falcon by UVI and a few other third party products. I've never A/B'd them with Melodyne Studio since I use MachFive for the task and Melodyne for others.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
tonomud

Post by tonomud »

I tested out Audacity's "Initial Tempo Change and Final Tempo Change" effect and was able to get the result I needed. Brought back into DP and applied the izotope declicker to reduce some of the minor artifacts introduced in the process, and the end result is actually quite good to my ears, and I think good enough for this project.
iMac 2017 4.2 i7, 32 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.12.6
DP 9.52
Motu 896mk3 hybrid, True Systems Precision 8, Apogee Rosetta 800
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I recommend trying IRCAMLab TS.

The process would be to create a .WAV version of your mix, then drag that file onto the IRCAMLab TS application window. From there you can tweak both the pitch and the tempo of the file independently.

[EDIT: I think the last time I checked the price it must have been on sale. It's regular price is $249, and Don'tCrack has it for $199.]

The application is a little buggy on my machine-- nothing dangerous, just a little crashy. You can download a demo which is fully function for 10 days. I does a VERY impressive job with full mixes.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

tonomud wrote:I tested out Audacity's "Initial Tempo Change and Final Tempo Change" effect and was able to get the result I needed. Brought back into DP and applied the izotope declicker to reduce some of the minor artifacts introduced in the process, and the end result is actually quite good to my ears, and I think good enough for this project.
Hey, if it works, it works, right? Would you get similar results using the edge-drag within DP and applying Declick?
I was trying to remember the standalone... That's it. Again, not needed if you have another product that includes the IRCAM tools and there are a few nowadays.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

On an unrelated note, I recently did a gig doing some restoration of some poorly recorded audio. There was some distortion on a track, and I used DSP-Quarttro's de-clicker and it improved the audio considerably. Digression complete. Resume.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

mikehalloran wrote:
tonomud wrote:
I was trying to remember the standalone... That's it. Again, not needed if you have another product that includes the IRCAM tools and there are a few nowadays.
MachFive or UVI Falcon. Here it is demonstrated in a MOTU video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Scz8Kh2Cd2g

And here it is in UVI Falcon.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eqJrkOGEhfU