Assigning MIDI cc without Controller

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Aaron Guidry
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Assigning MIDI cc without Controller

Post by Aaron Guidry »

Wanting to assign MIDI cc's to knobs/faders in virtual instruments (Massive, for example), but can't use "MIDI learn" because I don't have my controller on the road. Any advice on how to assign without a controller?
DP 11, Mac Studio M2 Ultra, 128GB Memory, Sonoma 14.3.1
reedster

Re: Assigning MIDI cc without Controller

Post by reedster »

In a Console, create a Control, assign the control's target and controller. To assign, activate MIDI learn and move the control.
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

Can you explain where the "console" is.
Thank you!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Custom Consoles.
  • Project Menu / Consoles / New Console
Reedster's suggestion is a good one, and would probably work for what you want to do. Custom Consoles are a little cumbersome, sometimes requiring a bit of trial-and-error to get them working right, but once you get one set up it usually works well from that point on.

I suggest saving your file before working on a custom console, then saving often until you get it created. Creating custom consoles has generally been unstable in DP. I don't know if they have become more stable in DP9, but even if they are rock solid, I'd still save my work.

There's another possibility for what you want to do. In many plugins, when you use MIDI-Learn you click on the control you want to assign to a controller, and once you click it, there appears a number in a field. You can type in the MIDI controller number at that point. Not all MIDI-Learn plugins are designed that way, but it's worth taking a look and seeing if any of yours are.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

Thanks, Sooshie.
Yeah, in Massive, for example, I'm not seeing a number pop up. If anyone DOES see this in Massive, please let me know!

In the meantime, how do I 'build' a console? Perhaps this info is in the DP User's Manual. Will research.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Consoles are fairly intuitive, Aaron. Just set out and do one, but the key to the consoles is to figure out what EVERY control does. Study ALL the menus in interface windows. You can't know the options or potentially how to use them if you don't know what's there.

Then it may take a few trial runs to fully understand its syntax, which it sometimes seems not to understand, itself!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
reedster

Post by reedster »

To find the Console command you could go DP / Help in the search start typing Console - once the menu item appears choose Consoles / New Console.

or do like Sooshie suggests go through DP's menus:

DP / Project Menu / Consoles / New Console

This opens a Console Window, from the mini-menu (activated by clicking the triangle in the upper right corner of the console window) choose Edit Console. The Console Tool Bar should appear:

From the Tool Bar drag a control into the console window. Does not matter too much which one. A Knob would work OK.

A Control Assignment window should appear after dragging, if not double click the Knob.

for your situation focus on the right side column - the target.

In the image the target is PianoTeq and the knob sends Controller #18. Customize the target to your needs.

Once the target is setup, click OK, return to the mini-menu and deselect Edit Console.

Activate MIDI Learn in the target, move the console knob with mouse to generate data.

For subsequent attachments you can drag new Controls into the window for programming, or to save a bit of typing use Copy & Paste on the original or reprogram the original.
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

Thanks so much for the very detailed reply!
wilcofan

Post by wilcofan »

If you aren't seeing parameters for a plugin, I can confirm they are not always showing up in the dialog box. Hybrid by AIR will not give it's parameters in the target side of the dialog window, if you 'Edit' the controller assignment.

Workaround: Close the dialog, Right-click the assignment in the list 'Learn Target' and click your plugin knob.

Does anyone know how to make Digital Performer have contextual assignments? I want the same knob mapped to different plugins, depending on what track is selected/active.
Digital Performer 8.07
Mac Pro 3.1
Windows 7 (bootcamp)