Left/Right keys suddenly stopped moving data as expected

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
zandurian
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Left/Right keys suddenly stopped moving data as expected

Post by zandurian »

All these years using performer/DP (now in DP8) and now suddenly when I choose a soundbite or MIDI data or whatever (in the sequence editor) the right/left arrows are moving data forward or back exactly 1 measure regardless of the snap to grid setting or even if "snap to grid" is off. Dragging the data with the mouse still works as expected, reflecting the snap to grid setting when it's engaged or letting you randomly drag the data around anywhere when snap to grid is off. Same thing in the tracks window - normally if I stretched out or shrunk the tracks window view the left right arrow keys would move the data in the grid according to the resolution of the window - now they move the data just 1 measure as well, regardless of the size of the window (and again, dragging with mouse works as expected). Pretty sure I must have accidentally changed a setting somewhere but can't figure it out.....
----------------------------------
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
Shooshie

Re: Left/Right keys suddenly stopped moving data as expected

Post by Shooshie »

zandurian wrote:All these years using performer/DP (now in DP8) and now suddenly when I choose a soundbite or MIDI data or whatever (in the sequence editor) the right/left arrows are moving data forward or back exactly 1 measure regardless of the snap to grid setting or even if "snap to grid" is off.
In the MIDI Edit Window, there is a "Nudge" setting at the top-right of the window:
Click the little bent-arrow pointing at a down-arrow:
There you will find all the answers!
Note: this menu does not appear in the Sequence Editor. Instead, you can change it in the Tracks Window or the MIDI Edit Window, and the effect will be global, including the SE. Also, change the number of tics by clicking on the number at the right side of that menu, and type in the number of tics you want. But it's sometimes easier just to select "beat," "measure," etc.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

Thanks Shoosh! Of course, the nudge setting, I've been happy with the mode of nudging for so long I forgot there were other settings. :headbang:
----------------------------------
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote: Note: this menu does not appear in the Sequence Editor. Instead, you can change it in the Tracks Window or the MIDI Edit Window, and the effect will be global, including the SE. Also, change the number of tics by clicking on the number at the right side of that menu, and type in the number of tics you want. But it's sometimes easier just to select "beat," "measure," etc.

Shooshie
If you don't see Nudge Mmount in the Sequence Editor window, it's because it has not been turned on. Go to the Snap Information window. In the mini menu select Configure Info Bar. Make sure Nudge Amount is checked. Then it will appear wherever the Snap Info bar is present. Make sure the Snap Info bar is selected for the Sequence Editor in the Information Bar Preferences.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Interesting. I THOUGHT it used to be there. Here's what I learned: "Configure Information Bar" in the Snap Information window (in a sidebar in Consolidated Windows) configures each edit window individually. I thought it was global, and therefore did not realize that it was MY fault that the Nudge Amount menu was missing from my Sequence Editor. That would explain a few other confusing issues over the years, where a particular snap-to-xxx was not showing up in some window or another.

So, the trick is to click in the window you're wanting to change before going to the Snap Information Window. It will reflect the settings for the last active window.

Thanks for pointing that out to me! I learn something new about DP every day!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|