UNofficial Digital Performer Community bug list discussion

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Robert Randolph
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: UNofficial Digital Performer Community bug list discussi

Post by Robert Randolph »

James Steele wrote:I just tried the form and noticed that I think the "expected" and "what actually happens" text gets switched when the report is generated.
Fixed, good catch!

I think I should probably rename these fields too. I haven't come up with anything better though.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The labels make perfect sense to me.

A question: IIRC, the list is only for bugs in the most recent version?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Robert Randolph

bayswater wrote:The labels make perfect sense to me.

A question: IIRC, the list is only for bugs in the most recent version?
Only bugs that exist in the current version, yes. Doesn't matter what version they were first reproduced in.

I've been thinking about how to organize the 'resolved' list. I did reserve a post in the issues list for that, but that would add a lot to clutter. So that is still tumbling around in my brain waiting for a good solution to pop up.
Robert Randolph

I updated the post creator to make a bit more sense.

If there's no other bugs found, I'll update the main issue list post to use that instead.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Robert Randolph wrote:I updated the post creator to make a bit more sense.

If there's no other bugs found, I'll update the main issue list post to use that instead.
The "what do you expect" box appears twice.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Robert Randolph

bayswater wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:I updated the post creator to make a bit more sense.

The "what do you expect" box appears twice.
Fixed, thank you
Robert Randolph

I've added a [Duplicate] tag now...

Since I ended up reporting an issue that was already reported! (I didn't understand the original report due to my own oversight, then reported it different myself). :oops:
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Over the weekend I posted an issue with the Tab key (again), this time in the MIDI Edit Window and the Tracks Window. If you hit the tab key, it jumps into the Grid Settings, and hops between them with further presses of Tab. This is a problem for me for three reasons:
1) I use Tab for other things, and generally speaking MOTU should never take keys away from us, but offer us the ability to customize them in the COMMANDS window.
2) Once you hit Tab, typing numbers on the keypad (expecting transport controls like stop, fast forward, pause, etc.) does not work. You're just inputting numbers into the grid settings. You have to realize what happened, then click outside of the grid settings fields to get out, or hit Escape.
3) It works inconsistently across different windows. For example, it does not work in the Sequence Editor. (and it should not work anywhere!)

This is reminiscent of the Track Selector Field Bug that MOTU acknowledged and fixed in 9.1. The programmer(s) needs to know that we use most of the keys on the keyboard for our shortcuts, so don't just appropriate a key without giving us the ability to take it back. Anyway, I posted a tech link about it, and I also posted it here in the community bug list. ... er... issue list.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Robert Randolph wrote:I've added a [Duplicate] tag now...

Since I ended up reporting an issue that was already reported! (I didn't understand the original report due to my own oversight, then reported it different myself). :oops:
OK, but you didn't add the [Duplicate] tag to your post??
We're a dozen bugs in and confusion has set in, I even posted pics of the issue you duplicated, and you still thought it was a different bug when you experienced it. :lol:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Shooshie wrote: The programmer(s) needs to know that we use most of the keys on the keyboard for our shortcuts, so don't just appropriate a key without giving us the ability to take it back.
I think you said it best in another post:
Shooshie wrote:When MOTU creates a new shortcut for us, they should not appropriate a keyboard key without allowing us a place to RESET or CUSTOMIZE it, in the Commands Window. This is imperative. Let me repeat that:

Do not hardwire keyboard keys for new features. Make them customizable.
This is HUGE. Many of us have been using the Commands window to customize our workflow for many years. I have long since forgotten which shortcuts are default and which are mine. ANY new keyboard shortcut absolutely needs to be added through the Commands window and not hardwired. We must convey that to MOTU! JMHO

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Robert Randolph

Michael Canavan wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:I've added a [Duplicate] tag now...

OK, but you didn't add the [Duplicate] tag to your post??
We're a dozen bugs in and confusion has set in, I even posted pics of the issue you duplicated, and you still thought it was a different bug when you experienced it. :lol:
That post is marked duplicate in the lists.

Since I can't edit everyone's posts, it makes little sense for me to add tags to my own post, it gets confusing otherwise.

And yet... I didn't quite understand your bug report originally through no fault of yours. When I encountered it myself I didn't realize it was the same thing till after. My mistake and a good one to make at least.

I'm sure the duplicate thing will happen often enough, that's why there's a tag now :)
Robert Randolph

Shooshie wrote:Over the weekend I posted an issue with the Tab key (again), this time in the MIDI Edit Window and the Tracks Window. If you hit the tab key, it jumps into the Grid Settings, and hops between them with further presses of Tab. This is a problem for me for three reasons:
1) I use Tab for other things, and generally speaking MOTU should never take keys away from us, but offer us the ability to customize them in the COMMANDS window.
2) Once you hit Tab, typing numbers on the keypad (expecting transport controls like stop, fast forward, pause, etc.) does not work. You're just inputting numbers into the grid settings. You have to realize what happened, then click outside of the grid settings fields to get out, or hit Escape.
3) It works inconsistently across different windows. For example, it does not work in the Sequence Editor. (and it should not work anywhere!)

This is reminiscent of the Track Selector Field Bug that MOTU acknowledged and fixed in 9.1. The programmer(s) needs to know that we use most of the keys on the keyboard for our shortcuts, so don't just appropriate a key without giving us the ability to take it back. Anyway, I posted a tech link about it, and I also posted it here in the community bug list. ... er... issue list.

Shoosh
Any response on the techlink for this one?

I'm going to add it to the main list later this afternoon, and I want to make sure I label it correctly.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Robert Randolph wrote:Any response on the techlink for this one?
Yes, Brendan wrote:
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I will bring this up in our daily meeting tomorrow and it will be brought to the attention of our development team. I agree that this is super inconvenient. Thank you for being patient and bearing with us.
I think it'll be fixed. I just hope that the fix is to give us a customizable command for it, as someone may appreciate the ability to do that.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Robert Randolph

Shooshie wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:Any response on the techlink for this one?
Yes, Brendan wrote:
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I will bring this up in our daily meeting tomorrow and it will be brought to the attention of our development team. I agree that this is super inconvenient. Thank you for being patient and bearing with us.
I think it'll be fixed. I just hope that the fix is to give us a customizable command for it, as someone may appreciate the ability to do that.

Shooshie
I have added it and labled it as Accepted by Motu in this case. Thank you!

As a sidenote, can you lower the editorializing in the bug report itself? It makes for a lot of extra reading when someone wants to quickly see what the bug is. It'd be totally fine if you posted a 'personal note' section or something, or posted in this thread and linked to your post.

I'd just like to keep things as concise as possible when it comes to what the issue is and how to reproduce it.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Robert Randolph wrote:As a sidenote, can you lower the editorializing in the bug report itself? It makes for a lot of extra reading when someone wants to quickly see what the bug is. It'd be totally fine if you posted a 'personal note' section or something, or posted in this thread and linked to your post.
Under the circumstance, I felt that it required explanation. I will always lean toward more information rather than too little. It may not look tidy, but it explains the problem vs. anticipated responses or questions. So... I think it was about the right amount of info.

We're rather different in that regard. I accept your brevity; you'll probably just have to accept my loquacious proclivities. No offense intended, and none taken.

Shooshie

PS: I read Strunk & White, cover to cover, several times.
It just didn't take. :lol: