UNofficial Digital Performer Community bug list discussion

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: UNofficial Digital Performer Community bug list discussi

Post by toodamnhip »

Shooshie wrote:To be sure something is understood, I often say it 3 ways.

Shooshie
1) You do that too? I think i make people crazy at times doing that, and for the same reason...lol.
2) I do that for the same reason, to make sure I am understood. I think I can make people nuts at times when doing this.
3) I have found that I make people nuts at times, when trying to explain the same thing three times for clarity. You do that too?

:woohoo:
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

toodamnhip wrote:
Shooshie wrote:To be sure something is understood, I often say it 3 ways.

Shooshie
1) You do that too? I think i make people crazy at times doing that, and for the same reason...lol.
2) I do that for the same reason, to make sure I am understood. I think I can make people nuts at times when doing this.
3) I have found that I make people nuts at times, when trying to explain the same thing three times for clarity. You do that too?

:woohoo:
Yeah, absolutely, you bet I do!
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

9.1.2 is out

I've checked and the following bugs still seem to exist.
  • Reference: #0000001- [Confirmed]: - Grid-dependent issue with dragging outline in MIDI editor
  • Reference: #0000003 - [Confirmed] - Track selector sidebar not saving with window sets containing the Tracks Overview.
  • Reference: #0000004 - [Accepted by Motu] - MIDI out capable VSTs incorrectly duplicate themselves in the MIDI Input display
  • Reference: #0000005 - [Confirmed] - Reshape tool does not work correctly on tempo track
  • Reference: #0000006 - [Accepted by Motu] - MIDI editor Lines mode does not work consistently.
  • Reference: #0000009 - [Accepted by Motu] - Sequences dragged from clipping window do not transfer 'folder tracks' correctly.
  • Reference: #0000012 - [Confirmed] - Plug-in settings are not correctly snapshot when parameters are selected via preset loading.
  • Reference: #0000013 - [Confirmed] - Window Sets Issue
  • Reference: #0000016 - [Accepted by Motu] - Tab key cycles through GUI elements in MIDI and Tracks overview windows
I am unable to confirm the following.
  • Reference: #0000007 - [Confirmed] - MIDI editor Master Track is editable while invisible in certain circumstances.
  • Reference: #0000015 - [Accepted by Motu] - Bouncing single a stereo track with certain plug-ins causes DP 9.1 to crash.
Shooshie, can you check #007 for me please?'

I think that #015 is fixed as it is listed in the notes as fixed, but I need someone else to confirm. Single stereo track(nothing else)->DMG Audio Limitless->bounce.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I'm on a tight schedule until I leave town. If I DO leave town, and that's not 100% decided, I'll be gone about 2 weeks. The past several releases have occurred when I was not able to install or use them. Looks like this one is no exception.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Robert Randolph wrote:9.1.2 is out

I've checked and the following bugs still seem to exist.
Reference: #0000012[/url] - [Confirmed] - Plug-in settings are not correctly snapshot when parameters are selected via preset loading.
I do so appreciate you taking the time to mention this brotha Robert.
As additional data, I would actually modify this bug as I think it is bigger than what you’re calling it.
My tests have shown that this snap shot issue is not just “inability to snap shot presets”. It is a DISCONNECT between DP and the GUI. DP does not “SEE” the top level activity of the GUI without touching the controls. It is somewhat disconnected from actions such as copying and pasting, and loading pre sets. All of which must primarily be occurring in the GUI. It shows up in other ways too. I will not get into all of them here, but this IS the Bug. It is a GUI DISCONNECT. Not sure if it’s the plug not reporting to DP, or DP not reading the GUI? But it is NOT “just waves” as many have claimed.
So ANY scenario where a user has not manually nudged 3rd party plug in parameters results in DP being completely unaware of where they are set. Another way this shows is at times, when you leave a session and re open, plug ins can occasionally loose their settings if they haven’t been automated. Again, how can DP bring back the settings if it does not know what they are in the 1st place? This also occurs when using Avid artist mix and taking control of a plug in with artist mix. DP will sit there and NOT resume control of that parameter until one nudges the GUI plug in window again. And when pasting data from one plug in to another, for example, lets say you like a vocal eq and copy it and paste it into another vocals’ EQ?, Again, DP won’t be aware because it isn;t SEEING the top level GUI activity unless one GRABS a parameter, at which point DP “sees”. DISCONNECT with GUI is the real bug. We see the graphics. DP doesn’t.

As for 9.1.2, I still found that setting up a loop running VE Pro, and then changing loop points, resulted in glitches galore. And, no processor performance improvement so I too will be staying back at 9.02. Unfortunately.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I don't mean this as a simplistic reply, but is your event chasing turned on? I haven't tried DP9.12 yet, but so far all versions are seeing my GUI, because the plugins all work when I just open a file and push "play." No automation; just previous settings. Waves, MAS, Altiverb, PCP, and others.

I'm probably missing something in the explanation. I can't test it tonight anyway. But my files have all been running as expected, with plugins doing their jobs without nudging.

I don't doubt you; I'm just not sure you've got the right set of circumstances outlined, or something. There MUST be something different between your system and mine. What is it?

Do you have a control surface that has taken control of things normally relegated to the GUI? Anything like that?

Shooshie
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Shooshie wrote:I don't mean this as a simplistic reply, but is your event chasing turned on? I haven't tried DP9.12 yet, but so far all versions are seeing my GUI, because the plugins all work when I just open a file and push "play." No automation; just previous settings. Waves, MAS, Altiverb, PCP, and others.

I'm probably missing something in the explanation. I can't test it tonight anyway. But my files have all been running as expected, with plugins doing their jobs without nudging.

I don't doubt you; I'm just not sure you've got the right set of circumstances outlined, or something. There MUST be something different between your system and mine. What is it?

Do you have a control surface that has taken control of things normally relegated to the GUI? Anything like that?

Shooshie
Yes-event chasing ON.
Yes filters set to show all automation
No- Plug ins do not always fail when re opening. To be clearer, MOST waves and other plug ins come back into shape when re-opening. But occasionally, there will be a track or set of plug ins that don’t come back up right and this has been happening a bit more often lately. I used this as an example of the worst DP gets at plug in knowledge and recall. I guess I made it sound like that particular problem was common. It is not. I could have been clearer on that for sure...

No- no Avid control surface, running Raven now, loving it. But for years, that weird Artist Mix bug had existed and now I am connecting the dots and seeing that DP becomes “unaware” of plug ins for one reason or another, and the graphics of the plug ins show one thing, Dp snap shots another. It must be some sort of communication issue for sure. I like the term-“disconnect”. For whatever reason. But who knows, maybe it is a “REFUSAL”...lol..where plug ins refuse to obey orders? What do any of us REALLY know right?

I know your plugs work when opening a non automated session file, but i wanted to check...
Your snap shot fails when loading pre sets and copy and pasting data into none DP plugs ins before snap shot, right? I don’t doubt your 3rd party plugs come back to correct position on re start.

But here is food for thought related to NOT automating. Just because plugs come up right when opening a session does not mean they will snap shot right.
For example, if you loaded a pre set, liked it’s sound perfectly, didn’t touch it, or only touched a couple parameters in it, then left the plug un automated sitting around for a week without touching it, and then tried to snap shot it three work sessions later, the plug in may fail snap shot and lock into default settings. So for me, once I like a plug in setting to any degree, I snap shot to ensure nothing fails and, to keep organized. And again, the fix is to double click on the topmost parameter data entry spot, and then tab through all parameters, followed by clicking any “switches” or un-number entry based parameters. Then you can snap shot successfully as doing the aforementioned steps seems to creat the communication line needed for DP to recognize the settings. But you are right man, the fact that DP ever successfully bring back plug ins on re start says it must have SOME sort of awareness of what those plug ins are? So now you got me confused. I still think it is a DISCONNECT of some sort. If I knew exactly WHY and WHAT it was, I guess I’d fix it wouldn’t I?..lol
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Reference: #0000013 - [Confirmed] - Window Sets Issue
What is this one #13 Robert?

Thank you for your efforts!
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Did no one post the timing issues with the Hardware Insert plugin? Did anyone do a tech link?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Robert Randolph

labman wrote:

Reference: #0000013 - [Confirmed] - Window Sets Issue
What is this one #13 Robert?

Thank you for your efforts!
You can click the words "Reference: #0000013" to see the report in the original post (or here!)
Robert Randolph

bayswater wrote:Did no one post the timing issues with the Hardware Insert plugin? Did anyone do a tech link?
Techlink was filed, Motu confirmed the issue.

There does not appear to be a report for it currently in the community list. I haven't tested to see if it still exists yet, and probably won't get to for 2 days or so (hurricane thing happening).
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Robert Randolph wrote:I haven't tested to see if it still exists yet, and probably won't get to for 2 days or so (hurricane thing happening).
Hey, what's more important? A silly ol' storm, or US? :mumble:

Seriously, batten down the hatches and take cover! Let's hope that Hermine is a dud.

Shoosh
Robert Randolph

Bug list OP updated. It now suggests using the report creator.

I also updated the FAQ with 2 entries: "But why?" and "Don't you think this creates a negative image for Motu and DP?"

Now to check on the hardware inserts... :brucelee:
Robert Randolph

Hardware inserts still not working correct here, however it wasn't listed as a fix.

Motu is aware of it, so I assume it should be fixed eventually.

edit: I should be clear. Hardware inserts work if you set the latency manually. The automatic detection (which is the whole point of it!) does not work reliably.

The Hardware insert plugin should also reference your bundles and their names (as outlined in the manual). They do not currently.

edit 2: Just noticed this wasn't in the issues list. I've added it.
Robert Randolph

If someone could confirm issue 19: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61937&start=15#p532770

That would be helpful, thank you!