UNofficial Digital Performer Community bug list discussion

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: UNofficial Digital Performer Community bug list discussi

Post by bayswater »

Robert Randolph wrote:I haven't updated the status on this one because you've damn near convinced me that, according to the laid out specifications, it should be rejected.

So I'll ask, do you have a better bug specification class that would cover this instance, and not cover some other non-bug behaviours?
More likely this is a UI design flaw, a bit like using CMD-F as the default key command for Filters which works as described in the documentation, although just about every other application uses this shortcut for a Find command.

In the case of View commands, we can't be absolutely sure where the problem is because the feature, while briefly mentioned in release notes, is not documented.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

So for the view filter and "track selector-tab" type bugs how about the following classification:
  • Behaviour that is neither intuitive nor described fully in the manual.
This would also cover a few annoyances that I have. For me, the lack of documentation is what seals it. I can accept documented behaviour that is poor, since clearly the developers know about it. I can accept intuitive behaviour that isn't documented since it's intrinsically non-intrusive. Behaviour that violates both is very problematic though.

They may not be bugs per se, but they do compromise what would otherwise be a happy user experience.
Last edited by Robert Randolph on Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

So is a poor choice, something MOTU has known about for many of years, a bug? More like the airbag in my Honda. They knew about the problem but failed to make a move to correct it.

Maybe be the term "bug" is the problem here? I don't have an alternative at present, but we rethink our terminology, we might catch quite a few more bugs, so to speak.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Robert Randolph

Issue fits much better than bug.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Drop the word "bug" and you have my full support. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Robert Randolph

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Drop the word "bug" and you have my full support. :)
Issues is definitely a better word.

I've changed basically everything from bug to issue. (with minor exception)
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Issues works.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Just sent MOTU a number of tech-links. I wish I'd done this months ago, but honestly I didn't know about most of them, then. Various reasons for that, but things are what they are. I reported these, better late than never. Maybe others have already reported them, and they'll be fixed when 9.1 comes out.

104576 - Since take comping has dramatically increased the utility of takes, many of us believe there should be a way to keep takes together when editing.
  • (There is no bug report in the community list. This links to a thread in the forum, up to 4 pages at the time this was written.)
104575 - New Search Field is causing tricky display issues in edit windows (disappearing tracks issue)
  • Bug report submitted June 13, tech link submitted July 5, a.m.
104573 - Tempo Reshape Bug in Sequence Editor (Reshape tool isn't affecting tempos in Sequence Editor.)
104572 - Master Track Glitch in MIDI Edit Window.
102119 - MIDI Lines Mode editing does not work properly
  • I actually submitted this one back in February. Just thought I'd let people know that MOTU has had it for a while. They responded to it and passed it on to their programmers months ago.
That's what I did last night. I'm sick of writing bug reports and tech links. Someone else do it for a while!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Robert Randolph

Thanks shooshie, I'll get on to updating everything later today.
Robert Randolph

Everything reproduced, documented and updated.

Thank you for the contribution!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Shooshie wrote:Just sent MOTU a number of tech-links. I wish I'd done this months ago, but honestly I didn't know about most of them, then. Various reasons for that, but things are what they are. I reported these, better late than never. Maybe others have already reported them, and they'll be fixed when 9.1 comes out.

104576 - Since take comping has dramatically increased the utility of takes, many of us believe there should be a way to keep takes together when editing.
  • (There is no bug report in the community list. This links to a thread in the forum, up to 4 pages at the time this was written.)
104575 - New Search Field is causing tricky display issues in edit windows (disappearing tracks issue)
104573 - Tempo Reshape Bug in Sequence Editor (Reshape tool isn't affecting tempos in Sequence Editor.)
  • I actually submitted this one back in February. Just thought I'd let people know that MOTU has had it for a while. They responded to it and passed it on to their programmers months ago.
That's what I did last night. I'm sick of writing bug reports and tech links. Someone else do it for a while!

Shooshie
So far, I've gotten a positive response from MOTU on each one of these. They're seeing the problems and forwarding the TechLinks to the programmers, except for one, which is probably the most arcane of them. That's the one in which it's possible to have an invisible Master Track in the MIDI Edit Window. I figured that would throw them, because it's awkward to set it up. I'll have to make a movie of that one. I'm sure they'll fix it, too, once they see it.

It's always refreshing to hear that a bunch of bugs are about to be eliminated.

Shoosh
Robert Randolph

Shooshie wrote:
Shooshie wrote:Just sent MOTU a number of tech-links. I wish I'd done this months ago, but honestly I didn't know about most of them, then. Various reasons for that, but things are what they are. I reported these, better late than never. Maybe others have already reported them, and they'll be fixed when 9.1 comes out.

Shooshie
So far, I've gotten a positive response from MOTU on each one of these. They're seeing the problems and forwarding the TechLinks to the programmers, except for one, which is probably the most arcane of them. That's the one in which it's possible to have an invisible Master Track in the MIDI Edit Window. I figured that would throw them, because it's awkward to set it up. I'll have to make a movie of that one. I'm sure they'll fix it, too, once they see it.

It's always refreshing to hear that a bunch of bugs are about to be eliminated.

Shoosh
I wonder how much you are delaying the next release by? :mumble:

:lol:
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Robert Randolph wrote: I wonder how much you are delaying the next release by? :mumble:

Hope it's by "enough." I'd sure like to see some big bugs fixed this time around.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote: I wonder how much you are delaying the next release by? :mumble:

Hope it's by "enough." I'd sure like to see some big bugs fixed this time around.
No delay at all if they follow a normal development process. Surely this stuff would be dealt with in the next minor update. 9.1.1 or whatever, and that release would already be well along.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:
Shooshie wrote:

No delay at all if they follow a normal development process. Surely this stuff would be dealt with in the next minor update. 9.1.1 or whatever, and that release would already be well along.
That's what I was kind of figuring on. My suggestions either had already made it to this deadline, or they would hold them for the next minor release, like 9.1.1.

Shoosh