What causes bounces to slow down?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What causes bounces to slow down?

Post by mikehalloran »

This is a good thread. Everyone should know the sudo purge trick.
I'm glad it's a short command and easy to remember.
If it's the last command you ran, hitting the up arrow will cause it to reappear after you open Terminal.
Those long terminal commands scare me like I'm gonna toast the whole system with one letter out of place.
Fortunately, Terminal supports Copy and Paste. Except for the shortest, I never remember and typing is a time waster, especially since a missed mark, space or incorrect capital can cause a command to fail. killall Finder is a good example—try it with a lower case 'f' and you will see that nothing happens.

I keep and update a .txt document called Terminal Commands OS X with an alias to it on my desktop. In it, I also include directions for dealing with ACL Not Found, emergency boot and many arcane system commands that have become useful over the years.

To me, these are the essentials:

Memory purge: sudo purge

Re-launch Finder: killall Finder This is way cool. It relaunches the Finder in a few seconds without the time or issues caused by Force Quit. Allows certain tasks to take effect without rebooting and does not interrupt a Time Machine backup.

Enable Trim: sudo trimforce enable OS 10.10.4 and later if booting from a non-Apple SSD

Repair Permissions (OS 10.11 and Later): sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /

Show Hidden Files: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

Re-hide hidden files: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

sudo commands require your admin password every 5 minutes.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

This last post should be either a sticky or in the TIPS sheet. Very helpful, Mr. H!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Great post, Mike!
I'm gonna copy - paste.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

I believe that the current buffer size will also affect time to bounce. Smaller buffer settings take longer to bounce in my experience.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:This last post should be either a sticky or in the TIPS sheet. Very helpful, Mr. H!
I totally agree. Let's at least put it in the Tips Sheet. Mike? You want to just copy your post over to the Tips Sheet Thread?

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I'll clean it up a little and do so.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
frankf

Post by frankf »

Is there a difference between using the killall Finder terminal command and quitting Finder from the Finder, Activity Monitor, Force Quit menu?
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I was under the impression that OSX's memory management got a lot more inscrutable and opaque somewhere around Mavericks when Apple introduced "Memory Pressure".
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH19644?locale=en_US
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mikehalloran wrote:I'll clean it up a little and do so.
Thanks for doing that.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Kurt Cowling wrote:I believe that the current buffer size will also affect time to bounce. Smaller buffer settings take longer to bounce in my experience.
Hadn't thought of that factor.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

philbrown wrote:
Kurt Cowling wrote:I believe that the current buffer size will also affect time to bounce. Smaller buffer settings take longer to bounce in my experience.
Hadn't thought of that factor.
Definitely worth testing out. Thanks a bunch Kurt.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

Yes thanks for that Mike

You have shown me the way here over time ...... with the repair permissions and many other insightful posts ....that's a great memo file you have given us....thank you

It may be useful to know about 2 small apps I got somewhere along the way....one is 'Memory Clean' which may do the purge memory task... I'm not sure exactly but it has a nice interface and shows you any large RAM using open apps ...and indicates your available RAM in the menu bar

I am also quite nervous with Terminal stuff

Also 'Invisible' will open and close invisible files with a click...both apps can sit up in the Menu bar at the top of the Mac

I think I may have heard about these apps here at this great forum!! I've learned so much

Thank you to all
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.3, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards, Softube Console 1 MkII & Fader Control