It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:38 pm

Text Size

UNofficial Digital Performer Community issue list - OS X

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderators: James Steele, Shooshie

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.

UNofficial Digital Performer Community issue list - OS X

Postby Robert Randolph » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:23 am

This thread existed to maintain a public, community maintained list of issues in the current version of Digital Performer.

No longer maintained.

It was a good try, but it was clearly a failure. Sorry folks. I updated for 9.13

Discussion should occur in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61940

Please only post concise reports of issues in this thread. Thank you!

List of issues at a glance
  • Reference: #0000001- [Confirmed]: - Grid-dependent issue with dragging outline in MIDI editor
  • Reference: #0000002 - [Fixed in Version 9.1] - In the absence of the track selector window searching for non-existent tracks causes all tracks to be hidden.
  • Reference: #0000003 - [Fixed in Version 9.1.3 (unlisted)] - Track selector sidebar not saving with window sets containing the Tracks Overview.
  • Reference: #0000004 - [Accepted by Motu] - MIDI out capable VSTs incorrectly duplicate themselves in the MIDI Input display
  • Reference: #0000005 - [Confirmed] - Reshape tool does not work correctly on tempo track
  • Reference: #0000006 - [Accepted by Motu] - MIDI editor Lines mode does not work consistently.
  • Reference: #0000007 - [Confirmed] - MIDI editor Master Track is editable while invisible in certain circumstances.
  • Reference: #0000008 - [Rejected] - Tracks grouped with 'record enable' do not record enable together.
  • Reference: #0000009 - [Accepted by Motu] - Sequences dragged from clipping window do not transfer 'folder tracks' correctly.
  • Reference: #0000010 - Fixed in Version 9.1.2] - Post-fader effects cause glitches.
  • Reference: #0000011 - [Rejected] - Track Lists Column Setup not applying correctly.
  • Reference: #0000012 - [Confirmed] - Plug-in settings are not correctly snapshot when parameters are selected via preset loading.
  • Reference: #0000013 - [Confirmed] - Window Sets Issue
  • Reference: #0000014 - [Duplicate] - Internal MIDI buss duplicates created erroneously
  • Reference: #0000015 - Fixed in Version 9.1.2] - Bouncing single a stereo track with certain plug-ins causes DP 9.1 to crash.
  • Reference: #0000016 - [Fixed in Version 9.1.3 (unlisted)] - Tab key cycles through GUI elements in MIDI and Tracks overview windows
  • Reference: #0000017 - [Fixed in Version 9.13] - Issues with Hardware Insert plug-in
  • Reference: #0000018 - [Confirmed] - DP 9.1 VU Meters are not working anymore with SpatGRIS
  • Reference: #0000019 - [Verification In Progress] - Issue with Note Spelling tool
  • Reference: #0000020 - [Accepted by Motu] - Nudge does not work correctly at high zoom levels.
  • Reference: #0000021 - [Accepted by Motu] - Spectrogram view in DP 9 does not appear time-aligned correctly.
  • Reference: #0000022 - [Verification In Progress] - Precision Delay in DP 9.x causes problems

If you have an issue that only exists in the Windows version of DP, please post it here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=61939&p=527099

What constitutes an issue for the purposes of this thread

• 1.) Crashing DP
  • 2.) Crashing other software when executing a function in DP
  • 3.) Behaviour contrary to documentation
  • 4.) Undocumented changes that do not work contrary to expectation or marketing.
  • 5.) Inconsistent display of information
  • 6.) Display glitches
  • 7.) Inconsistencies with repeated identical input
  • 8.) Undocumented changes from previous versions
  • 9.) Any behaviour that has been accepted as 'buggy' by motu. Requires proof of a techlink response.
  • 10.) Well documented performance decrease from a previous version of DP
  • 11.) Issues with plugins when the developer explicitly states compatibility with the current version of DP.
  • 12.) Behaviour that is neither intuitive nor described fully in the manual.

What is not an issue

• Performance differences unless reproducible across a wide range of systems
  • Desire for DP to behave differently than documented
  • Issues that can't be reproduced by at least 2 people
  • Reports from non-current versions (unless corroborated to be present in a current version)
  • Issues with hardware unless they are completely unique to DP
  • Manual Errata
  • Any issues with third-party plugins that can be reproduced in at least 2 other DAWs.
  • Anything that primarily compares DP's behaviour to another DAW
  • Behaviour that only manifests in the presence of uncommon system configuration.

To file an issue:

Not using the template will cause extra work for me. The better information you can provide, the better we can log your issue and potentially provide workarounds in the meantime!

Discussion should occur in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61940

Please only post concise reports of issues in this thread. Thank you!
Last edited by Robert Randolph on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:21 am, edited 50 times in total.
Robert Randolph

Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: UNofficial Digital Performer Community bug list - OS X

Postby Robert Randolph » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:23 am

FAQ

What is the point of this?

It is my hope that this will serve 3 main purposes:

• To reduce the tolerance for vague complaints about instability of DP. A well-maintained list of issues should encourage the community to report their issues in a mature and complete manner.
  • To encourage more thorough reporting and discussion of issues.
  • Provide a consolidated list of workarounds for known issues.

But why?

Quite often when you encounter a issue, it's comforting to know that it's not just you. It can also save a lot of time and resources if you can quickly find out that Motu is aware of the issue without having to wait for a techlink response.

Ideally, any issue listed that can have a workaround, will have one listed as well. Hopefully this will help you get going and un-frustrated you as quick as possible.

Doesn't Motu already handle this internally?

I'm quite sure they have a great system with experienced beta testers working to provide us with the produce we all love.

It's not public though. A public list will allow us to have quick reference to known issues, workarounds and even possibly extend the patch notes provide in new versions.

It will also allow people to know if their issue has been investigated in some form without having to wait for a techlink response, spend time searching the forum, or simply posting right away.

Who exactly do you expect to take care of all this?

I will attempt to confirm every issue reported. I will handle categorization of issues and attempt to reproduce all listed in any subsequent versions.

I will only be able to do this if the community works together to provide clear issue reports.

Why aren't you using a proper bug tracker?

I thought about this, but that requires even more effort for people to participate. Until there is significant contribution, it doesn't make sense to take this out of the forum format.

If the list does gain any significant amount of activity, I will create a public bug tracker.

Anyway... I'm running one locally for this already :wink:

You are not listing my issue, even though I wrote a great report!

I will keep a list of issues I am currently investigating, so if you don't see your issue there then please PM me. I will let you know if perhaps I've missed it or not.

If I can not reproduce an issue, I will list it in a section indicating that it needs secondary confirmation by another user. You will see the report with "Status: unconfirmed". In the case that the issue is reproduced by more parties and I do not notice, please bring it to my attention.

What about plug-ins? How exactly do you expect to know if it's DP's fault or the plug-in?

This is covered by rejecting reports that fall in to this classification: "Any issues with third-party plugins that can be reproduced in at least 2 other DAWs."

There is an exception though: "11.) Issues with plugins when the developer explicitly states compatibility with the current version of DP."

With a plugin there are 3 main sources of failure: The host (DP), the API, the plug-in.

If other DAWs exhibit similar issues then we can safely assume that there is some sort of issue with the API or the plug-in. If DP is alone in errant behaviour with a plug-in, then we can assume that the issue lies with DP. However, if a developer indicates that the plug-in should work in DP then there is possible that there is some issue specific to a setting in DP, and this will be investigated.

I will attempt to personally confirm third-party plugin bug reports in other DAWs. This is limited to my access to the plug-in. I will also attempt to contact developers regarding these issues if necessary.

If there is a plug-in issue, or an issue with a number of plugins from a certain developer, that is reported frequently then I will consider adding it to this list regardless.

What about the manual?

It has been brought to my attention that the DP manual requires some revision. I have decided that these issues will complicated and overload this project.

Manual Errata may be spun off to another thread. I do not know if I will take upon this task. It depends upon the workload that this issue list imposes.

I can confirm a issue, what do I do?

Please post your confirmation in the discussion thread (here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61940) along with the issue's reference number. If you have any additional information such as system specs, OS, circumstances, techlinks, images or video then please list those as well.

I have a issue, but I can't reproduce it.

Yeah, it sucks when that happens :smash: . Try to give as detailed of an account as you can so that other users, and myself, can attempt to figure out the circumstances.

If you can capture the issue on video or screenshot (Licecap is excellent for this!), then it will likely be considered confirmed even if not fully reproducible.

I don't have time to write an issue report, but this issue exists. What do I do?

Give as detailed a report as you can. Your effort has 3 potential big time saving benefits:

• Someone may find a workaround
  • It may simply be a misunderstanding and not a issue.
  • It's possible that through the efforts of the community, we can flesh out the details and provide Motu with more information that gets the issue fixed much faster.

I have an issue in an older version, why aren't you listing it?

I'm sorry, but there are so many older versions that it would be an incredible effort to try and maintain a list for all of them.

It is also unfair to Motu as it's likely that they may have already fixed your issue.

Only issues in the most current version will be considered.

My problem only happens in one OS and not another!

If your issue only occurs in windows, then please post in the Windows Thread

If the issue only occurs in OS X, then please note that specifically.

I will lag behind slightly on checking Windows only issues, since I do not use Windows as my primary OS. I ask the community to help extra with confirming these issues.

I think this is a issue because X DAW works this way

There are features from other DAWs that many of us would like in DP. Likewise there's a lot of DP features that other folks want in their DAW. This is why the audio market thrives with so many options.

We are here because we use and love Digital Performer. Only things that fall under the classification listed above will be considered.

For now, please send Motu your suggestions via a techlink!

Does Motu support this effort?

Not currently no. This is an unofficial issue list.

Is Motu monitoring this? Will you send a techlink for every confirmed issue?

Very good question. I don't know if Motu is watching. I will certainly bring this to their attention though.

I will not be personally making techlinks for every issue. I will file them for issues I personally find.

If you have an issue, it is your responsibility to report it to Motu. Remember that a confirmation from Motu on the status of incorrect behaviour is immediate inclusion to this list! Always report to Motu first!

I don't want to, or I can not, post on this forum, but I have a issue. What do I do?

Feel free to email me directly. audiolabs [at] gmail.com I will be watching other DP-centric groups personally and if I can replicate issues I will log them here.

Remember that I am NOT tech support. I will only be listing issues here.

I will not help you fix it.
I do not represent Motu in any capacity.
I will not help you fix it.
I do not represent Motu in any capacity.

I don't think X is a issue, I want to discuss an issue or I want to just chat about this concept in general

Great, let's talk about it.

Go to this thread here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61940

Remember that Motu is working hard to make a great product for you, and those of us here on the forum are freely volunteering to make this effort possible.

Don't you think this creates a negative image for Motu and DP?

No.

Any mature person is aware that nearly all software has issues, and if you compare this issues list to other DAW bug report sites it's quite easy to see that DP is quite stable and works remarkably well compared to the competition.

This was created to help reduce user frustration, provide a centralized repository of workarounds, version history for specific issue fixes, reduce Motu's support resource load and overall provide a centralized location for locating issues.

Remember, you are on a forum that exists because Motu is the only major DAW maker without an official forum. This issues list was born from similar circumstances.

You're wrong and/or an idiot and you are screwing this up!

You might be right. PM me here or email audiolabs [at] gmail.com and let's discuss it.

This entire concept has evolved from feedback from the community. I am always looking to improve, so I welcome your suggestions and criticism.
Last edited by Robert Randolph on Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:23 am, edited 18 times in total.
Robert Randolph

Postby Robert Randolph » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:24 am

Confirmed issues

Statuses:
[Verification In Progress]
[Confirmed]
[Accepted by Motu]
Duplicate
[Fixed in Version X.X]

• Reference: #0000001- [Confirmed]: - Grid-dependent issue with dragging outline in MIDI editor
  • Reference: #0000002 - [Fixed in Version 9.1] - In the absence of the track selector window searching for non-existent tracks causes all tracks to be hidden.
  • Reference: #0000003 - [[Fixed in Version 9.1.3 (unlisted)] - Track selector sidebar not saving with window sets containing the Tracks Overview.
  • Reference: #0000004 - [Accepted by Motu] - MIDI out capable VSTs incorrectly duplicate themselves in the MIDI Input display
  • Reference: #0000005 - [Confirmed] - Reshape tool does not work correctly on tempo track
  • Reference: #0000006 - [Accepted by Motu] - MIDI editor Lines mode does not work consistently.
  • Reference: #0000007 - [Confirmed] - MIDI editor Master Track is editable while invisible in certain circumstances.
  • Reference: #0000008 - [Rejected] - Tracks grouped with 'record enable' do not record enable together.
  • Reference: #0000009 - [Accepted by Motu] - Sequences dragged from clipping window do not transfer 'folder tracks' correctly.
  • Reference: #0000010 - [Fixed in Version 9.1.2] - Post-fader effects cause glitches.
  • Reference: #0000011 - [Rejected] - Track Lists Column Setup not applying correctly.
  • Reference: #0000012 - [Confirmed] - Plug-in settings are not correctly snapshot when parameters are selected via preset loading.
  • Reference: #0000013 - [Confirmed] - Window Sets Issue
  • Reference: #0000014 - [Duplicate] - Internal MIDI buss duplicates created erroneously
  • Reference: #0000015 - [Accepted by Motu] - Bouncing single a stereo track with certain plug-ins causes DP 9.1 to crash.
  • Reference: #0000016 - [Fixed in Version 9.1.3] - Tab key cycles through GUI elements in MIDI and Tracks overview windows
  • Reference: #0000017 - [Fixed in Version 9.1.3 (unlisted)] - Issues with Hardware Insert plug-in
  • Reference: #0000018 - [Confirmed] - DP 9.1 VU Meters are not working anymore with SpatGRIS
  • Reference: #0000019 - [Verification In Progress] - Issue with Note Spelling tool
  • Reference: #0000020 - [Accepted by Motu] - Nudge does not work correctly at high zoom levels.
  • Reference: #0000021 - [Accepted by Motu] - Spectrogram view in DP 9 does not appear time-aligned correctly.
  • Reference: #0000022 - [Verification In Progress] - Precision Delay in DP 9.x causes problems

Title: Grid-dependent issue with dragging outline in MIDI editor
Reference: #0000001

Original Reports:

Title: In the absence of the track selector window searching for non-existent tracks causes all tracks to be hidden.
Reference: #0000002

Original Reports:

Title: Track selector sidebar not saving with window sets containing the Tracks Overview.
Reference: #0000003

Original Reports:

Title: MIDI out capable VSTs incorrectly duplicate themselves in the MIDI Input display
Reference: #0000004

Original Reports:
  • none listed

Title: Reshape tool does not work correctly on tempo track
Reference: #0000005

Original Reports:
  • none listed

Title: MIDI editor Lines mode does not work consistently.
Reference: #0000006

Original Reports:
  • none listed

Title: MIDI editor Master Track is editable while invisible in certain circumstances.
Reference: #0000007

Original Reports:
  • none listed

Title: Sequences dragged from clipping window do not transfer 'folder tracks' correctly.
Reference: #0000009

Original Reports:
  • none listed

Title: Post-fader effects cause glitches.
Reference: #0000010

Original Reports:

Title: Plug-in settings are not correctly snapshot when parameters are selected via preset loading.
Reference: #0000012

Original Reports:

Title: Window Sets Issue
Reference: #0000013

Original Reports:

Title: Internal MIDI buss duplicates created erroneously
Reference: #0000014

Note: Duplicate of viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61937&sid=f48e4a7acad9489dfff5156340d18825#p527212

Title: Bouncing single a stereo track with certain plug-ins causes DP 9.1 to crash.
Reference: #0000015

Title: Tab key cycles through GUI elements in MIDI and Tracks overview windows
Reference: #0000016

Title: Issues with Hardware Insert plug-in
Reference: #0000017

Title: DP 9.1 VU Meters are not working anymore with SpatGRIS
Reference: #0000018

Title: Issue with Note Spelling tool
Reference: #0000019

[Verification In Progress]

Title: Nudge does not work correctly at high zoom levels.
Reference: #0000020

Title: Spectrogram view in DP 9 does not appear time-aligned correctly.
Reference: #0000021

Title: Precision Delay in DP 9.x causes problems
Reference: #0000022

Last edited by Robert Randolph on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:22 am, edited 53 times in total.
Robert Randolph

Postby Robert Randolph » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:28 am

Rejected issues

Reference: #0000008 - [Rejected] - Tracks grouped with 'record enable' do not record enable together.

Title: Tracks grouped with 'record enable' do not record enable together.
Reference: #0000008

Rejection Reason: Citation directly from Motu

Title: Track Lists Column Setup not applying correctly.
Reference: #0000011

Rejection Reason: Likely corrupted preferences.

Rejection references:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61940&start=30#p529984
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61940&start=30#p530010

Last edited by Robert Randolph on Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Robert Randolph

Postby Robert Randolph » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:13 am

Reserved for future usage.
Robert Randolph

Display Glitch Dragging to Grid in MIDI Editor Window

Postby Robert Randolph » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:31 am

Type of bug:

5.) Inconsistent display of information
6.) Display glitches

System Specifications

• Digital Performer Version: 9.02

Description of bug:

• What is expected to occur: In the MIDI editor - the outline of MIDI note placement while dragging correctly indicates where MIDI note will be placed upon releasing mouse.
  • What actually occurs: dragging outline does not indicate placement when dragging over the original location of the note.

Steps to reproduce bug:

• 1.) Create MIDI track with note information.
  • 2.) Turn on grid
  • 3.) Set grid to 1/8th note or quicker value.
  • 4.) Select MIDI notes
  • 5.) Attempt to drag MIDI note away from, then back to the original position.
  • Note: Easier to produce if you click near the beginning of a note.

Citations:

Notice the reluctance of the dragging outline to show placement at the original location of the MIDI notes.

Workarounds:

Notes are properly placed at the mouse position even if the outline is not displayed correctly.

Grid values >1/4 do not seem to exhibit this behaviour.
Last edited by Robert Randolph on Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Randolph

Track Selector Search Field Glitch

Postby Shooshie » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:23 pm

Type of bug:
  • Display glitch in Edit Windows
  • Inconsistent display of information
System Specifications
Description of bug:
  • What is expected to occur: Nothing
  • What actually occurs: Tracks disappear
Steps to reproduce bug:
  • 1.) Track Selectors are closed, so that all you see are the tracks themselves.
  • 2.) With the track selectors closed, the "Search" field is also closed.
  • 3.) Hit the TAB key
  • 4.) Type anything (but not something in a track name
  • 5.) Suddenly your tracks begin to disappear, leaving you with the edit window with no tracks visible.
  • 6. To bring back your tracks, it is necessary to open the Track Selector, delete anything typed in the Search field, and click out of the Search Field before proceeding.
Citations:
  • Screen shot of empty window:
  • Screen shot of normal window:
Workarounds:
  • This is sort of the "new View Filter glitch." People were always accidentally making their data disappear with the View Filter, and not realizing how it happened. This does the same kind of thing, and because it can happen with the Track Selector (and Search Field) closed, it's possible to get very confused by this.
  • Technically, this is not glitchy code; it's user error. You can bring it back to normal by knowing what's going on and going in to fix it. But it only takes an accidental tap of the TAB key to initiate this, and your tracks start to disappear. Because
  • Nothing crashes. Just emptying the search field and clicking out of it restores everything to normal.
  • I call this a bug, because it can happen unintentionally, and with the Track Selector closed, one cannot see what happened.
Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.11.6 |l| DP 9.13 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Window Set Doesn't Remember Track Selector Sidebar

Postby Robert Randolph » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:07 am

Type of bug:

3.) Behaviour contrary to documentation

System Specifications

Description of bug:

• What is expected to occur: Saving a window set using the Tracks window will remember the presence of the integrated Track Selector sidebar.
  • What actually occurs: The track selector sidebar's presence in the window layout is not saved.

Steps to reproduce bug:

• 1.) Open the Tracks view
  • 2.) Open the Track Selector sidebar (not the window, but the integrated tracks selector)
  • 3.) Save a window set.
  • 4.) Recall the window set.

Citations:

• Manual page, marketing page or video describing feature: pg. 107 in DP 9 pdf manual - "Digital Performer will remember the location of all windows, including edit for tracks windows."

Workarounds:

None known of.
Robert Randolph

VST MIDI Out list ghosting

Postby Michael Canavan » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:04 pm

Type of bug:
Display ghosting
System Specifications
Description of bug: MIDI out capable VSTs duplicate themselves in the MIDI Input display, complete with 16+ MIDI tracks available, although of course only one works.

• What is expected to occur: One MIDI out capable VST per instance
  • What actually occurs: Seemingly a ghost MIDI out is created each time you access the menu.

Steps to reproduce bug:

• 1.) Instantiate a MIDI out capable VST or VSTi
  • 2.) Use it in a track, until you use it there is only one instance in the MIDI in menu.
  • 3.) A new ghost version will appear in the drop down menu.

Citations:

• Screen shot or transcript of techlink:Image
  • Screen shot or transcript of discussion with third-party provider indicating the issue is unique to DP:
    Added by Brian_M on 2016/05/31 22:17:33 Universal
    State change from 'Unread' to 'In progress'
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for reporting this. The DP Development Team is currently working on a fix for a future DP release. Please check MOTU.com regularly for all official software updates and announcements. I'll leave this ticket open so I can notify you directly if/when more information is available.

Thank you,
    Brian

Workarounds:
Mostly just don't attempt to use the duplicates, they don't send MIDI, it's a clutter problem that won't be solved until the fix is in.
Mac Pro 12 core 3.33Ghz. 24G RAM, RME fireface 800, Remote SL, DP9, Live 9 Suite. Falcon, Diva, V-Colletion, NI Ultimate, Maschine, Spark, not enough time.
Michael Canavan

Reshape Tool not working on Tempo Track

Postby Shooshie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:26 am

Tempo Edit Bug in Sequence Editor
  • First time I've noticed this one. May be new to 9.02, or possibly I've just got a glitch. I don't usually use the SE for this, so it may have been there for a long time.
  • Looking for confirmation from others.
Type of Issue:
  • 7.) Inconsistencies with repeated identical input
12 Core 2012 Mac Tower, OS X 10.11.5
Description of issue:
  • What is expected to occur: Reshape Tool edits selected tempo markers in Sequence Editor Conductor Track
  • What actually occurs: Reshape Tool draws its line/shape, but nothing happens. The tempo markers remain where they are.
Steps to reproduce the issue:
  • 1.) Display the Conductor Track in the Sequence Editor
  • 2.) Invoke the Reshape Tool in the Toolbar (looks like a giant tilde)
  • 3.) Draw any kind of line to which the tempo markers should leap
  • 4.) Did they move? If not, then you've got the same glitch I have. I think it's a bug.
Citations
  • DP9 Manual page: 312-313, "Reshape Tool"
  • Tech Link Number/Name: MTL 104571 — Digital Performer Sequence Editor Reshape Tool fails to change tempos, Last edited by Shooshie on 2016/07/05 09:08:59 Universal
Workarounds:
  • Use the MIDI Edit Window instead of the Sequence Editor. Pull down the mini-menu in the tab at the top-right of the window to "Conductor Track." The bug does not seem to affect the MIDI Edit Window Conductor Track.

I've submitted a tech link, as shown above.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.11.6 |l| DP 9.13 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Lines Mode MIDI Editor Bug

Postby Shooshie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:30 am

Might as well put this one in the Unofficial List:

The Lines Mode MIDI Editor Bug
Type of issue:
    An issue confirmed by MOTU after submission of TechLink
System Specifications
Description of issue: MIDI Lines Mode editing does not work properly
  • What is expected to occur: Dragging MIDI control points in Lines Mode in the Edit Windows should produce anticipated results, such as duplicating a point, creating and dragging a point or just dragging a point, such that a ramp is produced from the point being created/edited and the points prior to it and/or following it. This has always been a core working mode for most people who work in MIDI in DP, and in a lot of other DAWs for that matter. When dragging a point in Lines Mode, DP should be creating or deleting actual controller events behind the scenes to fit with the ramps being drawn prior to and following the Lines Mode Point being moved. If you use Bar or Points mode, you will be working with such events directly, and you'll have to do the creating or deleting yourself. In Lines Mode, DP does all that hard work automatically as you merely drag around a single point and the ramps it generates on either side of it.
  • What actually occurs: Dragging MIDI control points in Lines Mode in the Edit Windows causes inconsistent behaviors that not only are out of sync with past behaviors, but would be readily identifiable as buggy even by a new user. They include:
  • Extra points appear between the edited point and those around it
  • Absence of ramps where data continues in a straight line until the next event, at which point it suddenly changes, whereas a sloped ramp to that next event would be expected, with added controller events to fill in the ramp. [This is not the old misunderstanding of the difference between stair-stepped MIDI points and smoothly ramped automation lines, but some might think so at first.]
  • Points do not move exactly to where you release them, and sometimes an entirely new shape is created, contrary to your intentions.
  • Often, events are not being created to form ramps, so where a shelf was implied in a series of points with gaps between them, raising one point will not create a sawtooth ramp, but remains a shelf. The behavior used to create a shelf if you started far from the original point, but it would create a ramp if you grabbed the original point or created a point close to it, then dragged up a sawtooth shape.
  • Go to links below for full description.
  • 1.) Start with a MIDI track with a series of continuous data points that resemble ramps when zoomed out.
  • 2.) Switch your MIDI Edit Window to Lines Mode (bottom left corner of the window, where it says either Lines, Points, or Bars)
  • 3.) Using the regular cursor tool (turns into a lasso over data), select a control point and drag it a little left or right. You will probably see other points suddenly pop into existence around it, instead of merely a ramp moving between the edited point and those around it.
  • 4.) Select a point with a shelf after it (a gap before other points continue) Raise the point straight up. Prior to that point, a ramp will follow it. After that point, there is no ramp, but merely a straight ledge, dropping off at the next point. This is what you'd expect in Bars or Points mode, but in Lines mode, it should create a ramp.
  • 5.) At any time, switch from Lines to Bars mode to confirm exactly what is happening to the actual MIDI events. For instance, in the previous example you would see the controller events prior to the control point stretching up with it, but no new events were created following the Lines Control Point, leaving a shelf.
Citations:
  • Manual page, marketing page or video describing feature: DP9 Manual, Page 383: Editing Continuous Data in Lines Mode
  • Techlink submitted to MOTU: MTL 102119 — MIDI Lines Mode editing does not work properly — serious productivity blocker, Last edited by Shooshie on 2016/02/04 18:29:35 Universal
  • Link to Forum discussion: Lines Mode Inconsistencies
Workarounds:
  • Set up the MIDI Edit Window parallel to the Sequence Editor, such that the same continuous data can be clearly seen in each. (set track heights so that you can see vertical changes easily in both tracks) Work in Lines Mode in the MIDI Edit Window and watch what happens to the MIDI Controller Events in the Sequence Editor. From this you will gain an idea of what is really happening as you move the Lines Control Points. You can get your work done in Lines Mode, but you will have to do it in different ways. For instance, to create a sawtooth ramp where there is a shelf, you will first have to create a continuous ramp to the next control point, without overshooting it. From there, you can drag it backward and it will form a sawtooth, rather than a shelf.

When you see other control points appear and disappear in Lines Mode, they are not really moving the events outside of the selection by much, if at all. The glitch is in the way it displays in Lines Mode. It's complicated, and best experienced as I have just described, with both tracks parallel and visible.
Shooshie

Master Track glitch in MIDI Edit Window

Postby Shooshie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:38 am

Master Track Glitch in MIDI Edit Window
Type of issue:
  • 4.) Undocumented changes that do not work contrary to expectation or marketing.
System Specifications
Description of issue:
  • What is expected to occur: When the Master Track in the MIDI Edit Window is deselected, it is made invisible. Since you cannot edit an invisible track, the Master Track designation should default to the next visible track. Normally it does this.
  • What actually occurs: There is a special circumstance by which the Master Track can be designated on an invisible track, specifically the first track of the track selector list, and specifically when returning to MIDI editing after having been in Conductor Track editing mode.
  • There is a further specific circumstance in which something very strange occurs. Read the "Steps to reproduce the issue" below, specifically the steps which discuss "Undo delete Audio Files." Note that this behavior gets stranger and stranger as you go down the following list of steps. BE SURE TO READ ALL THE STEPS!
  • 1.) Set Preferences: Editing / MIDI Editing to "Open one MIDI editor for each sequence with all MIDI tracks. (this is the multi-track MIDI Editor)
  • 2.) Select some tracks, but do not include the first few tracks (or at least the first track). In other words, make the first track invisible. That track should have continuous data in it, as well as notes. (but it's not selected, so it's invisible, and you can't see it, right?)
  • 3.) Using the Mini-menu in the upper-right tab of the window, select the Conductor Track. The window will become one large conductor track editor. No MIDI.
  • 4.) Now switch back to the full multi-track editor (it's the bottom entry in the list, so scroll if necessary)
  • 5.) Examine the continuous data you see. It does not belong to any visible track. It belongs to the first track in the track selector list, but that track is not selected, so it should not be there.
  • 6.) Open the Track Selector. Note that the first track is the Master Track, but it is not selected, and therefore should be invisible. However, since it is the Master Track, it's continuous data IS VISIBLE.
  • 7. You may actually edit those continuous events, as in moving them, but do not try deleting them. It won't let you delete them.
  • 8. Select a velocity point. (you cannot see the notes, as they are invisible, but you can see the velocity points)
  • 9.) Delete the Velocity Point
  • 10. The point will not delete, but go look at the UNDO menu. It says "Undo Delete Audio Files."
    I'm too afraid to pursue this one any further, for fear of just what audio files it may be thinking it's deleting. This is the kind of thing where you jump ship before it explodes. Stop here, unless you are working in a test-setup with DP, completely isolated from all your other DP files, which are not accessible from any currently active hard drive. You probably should use the UNDO, first, but then stop.
Citations:
  • Manual page:
    Page 369:
    • THE MASTER TRACK SELECTOR
      When a MIDI Editor is displaying multiple tracks, the Master Track Selector button (Figure 32-9 on page 306) determines which track is chosen for single-track operations in the window. For example, the continuous data grid portion of the window only displays continuous data in the master track. As a final example, the master track gets notes that are inserted with the Pencil tool.
  • Techlink: Have not submitted this tech link yet, but I'll be doing so soon.
  • Screenshots:
  • 1. Before: Note that the Sax track is not selected and not visible. The Violin track is the Master Track.
  • 2. After: returning from the Conductor Track, the sax track is still not selected, but it is now the Master Track. Look at the continuous data. Nothing has been changed intentionally, but the data you see belongs to the Sax Track.
  • 3. Proof: Now the Sax Track is selected. See the continuous data? It's the same.
Workarounds:
  • When returning from the Conductor Track mode, reset your Master Track, and/or select the first track and deselect it again.
Shooshie

Tracks grouped with 'record enable' do not enable together

Postby Robert Randolph » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:19 pm

Type of issue:

3.) Behaviour contrary to documentation
7.) Inconsistencies with repeated identical input

System Specifications

• Digital Performer Version: 9.1

Description of issue: Tracks grouped with 'record enable' do not record enable together.

• What is expected to occur: When tracks are grouped with the 'record enable' function, they all are record enabled together.
  • What actually occurs: The first track does not get record-enabled properly.

• 1.) Create multiple audio tracks.
  • 2.) Group them with custom, make sure 'record enable' is checked.
  • 3.) Attempt to record enable a single track.

Citations: None.

• Screenshot of bug in action:

Workarounds:

None
Robert Randolph

Clippings not transferring folder tracks correctly

Postby Robert Randolph » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:27 pm

Type of issue:

4.) Undocumented changes that do not work contrary to expectation or marketing.
7.) Inconsistencies with repeated identical input
9.) Any behaviour that has been accepted as 'buggy' by motu. Requires proof of a techlink response.

System Specifications

• Digital Performer Version: 9.02 & 9.1

Description of issue: Sequences dragged from clipping window do not transfer 'folder tracks' correctly.

• What is expected to occur: When dragging a sequence in to a new sequence (from a clippings window to easily test), folders containing tracks should retain those tracks.
  • What actually occurs: The folders and tracks separate. The folders no longer contain the tracks they did.

• 1.) Create sequence with a folder containing tracks.
  • 2.) Drag the sequence from the chunks window to a clippings window.
  • 3.) Drag the sequence from the clippings window to a new sequence.

Citations:

• Screen shot or transcript of techlink: MTL 98567

State change from 'Unread' to 'In progress'
    Hi Robert,

Thanks for writing. I have reproduced this bug and logged it with our dev team.

Best,
    Robin

Workarounds:

None.
Robert Randolph

Post-Fader effects cause glitches

Postby Robert Randolph » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:24 pm

Type of issue:

4.) Undocumented changes that do not work contrary to expectation or marketing.
9.) Any behaviour that has been accepted as 'buggy' by motu. Requires proof of a techlink response.

System Specifications

• Digital Performer Version: 9.1

Description of issue: Post-fader effects cause glitches.

• What is expected to occur: Post-fader effects work as expected.
  • What actually occurs: Post-fader effects cause glitches and crackles.

• 1.) Use a post-fader effect.

Citations:

Reported here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=62113&hilit=post+fader

Motu confirmed: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=62113&hilit=post+fader&start=180#p529569

Workarounds:

None.
Robert Randolph

Next

Return to Digital Performer [MacOS]: Troubleshooting/Criticism