Ableton Master, DP 9 Slave

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
foorere
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ableton Master, DP 9 Slave

Post by foorere »

Hello.
Is it possible to connect DP to Live as a slave?
I need some detailed instructions if it is possible.
I need ONLY to sync MIDI (not audio).

Thank you.
Catharina.
(I have learned English in 35 days, please have understanding ...)
Guitar Gaz

Re: Ableton Master, DP 9 Slave

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Rewire - DP loads first then you open Live and Rewire works. Don't think it works the other way round.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
foorere

Post by foorere »

Thank you.
But how-to-rewire?
I cannot orientate myself inside of DP. I can't find way in Live to have MIDI OUT to DP, neither MIDI IN from Live inside of DP.
Any link to a tutorial is highly appreciated. Thank you a lot.
Catharina.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Start here:
https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article ... ve-rewire/

There are YouTube video tutorials, also.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
foorere

Post by foorere »

Thanks Mike.
I have read it but there is no tutorial for Digital Performer. And many tutorials I have found are opposite direction, DP is Master not Slave.
Catharina.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Instead of using Rewire, you can set Ableton to send MIDI sync via the IAC bus and then set DP to slave to the IAC bus. Honestly, I've done a lot of sync'ing this to that over the years but I always found the Ableton-DP connection to be problematic as far as timing. I never really solved the issue, but hopefully you'll have better luck than I did.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce